Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
La Colombe

Lack Of Road Safety Strategy...

21 hours ago, hissingsid said:

They were discussing this on Talking Heads today and Stu put his finger right on the spot he said there were loads of laws such as speed limits that were never administered and he was dead right.    The only way to stop or cut down the road kill human and otherwise is to adopt speed cameras and introduce MOT some of the condition that cars and vans, mostly vans, whiz around is is unbelievable.   If the Government really want to make the Island safer roadwise they need to be brave and make unpopular decisions.    Think of all the revenue in speeding fines it would generate and no one could complain because if they obey the limits they would not be penalised, much fairer than whacking road tax up every year.

MOT comes up all of the time and it is total nonsense. There is no evidence to suggest that accidents are being caused by vehicles being driven in poor condition and the police and DoI have confirmed this. The only fatality that was caused by a vehicle fault was the tragic death of the young cyclist some years ago who was hit by a wheel that had come adrift from a truck. HGVs are subject to yearly testing. Vehicle testing is a complete red herring. I would be in favour of a lot more roadside random checks with failures taken straight off the road and scrapped. The vast majority of motorists are responsible and they keep their vehicles in good condition. One of the remaining plus points of living in the IOM is that you are treated like an adult in this respect and you are trusted not to drive around in a death trap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

...........I just knew that MOTs would be brought up. Just a money making scam ............roadside checks and if something is found then off to the govt test site is the way to go..........

Right or wrong I think you will find after Brexit that in order to drive a car in any other country you will have to be able to show a certificate of roadworthiness whether it is called an MOT or something else . Guernsey and Jersey are already some way down that route but as yet it doesn't seem to have been made public here .

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, emesde said:

Right or wrong I think you will find after Brexit that in order to drive a car in any other country you will have to be able to show a certificate of roadworthiness whether it is called an MOT or something else . Guernsey and Jersey are already some way down that route but as yet it doesn't seem to have been made public here .

Well that's doable, I'm sure. The government could make testing available at Tromode for the limited number of Manx vehicles being driven abroad. It's only really viable for long trips anyway. Most people fly and hire for the average length holiday.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, woolley said:

Well that's doable, I'm sure. The government could make testing available at Tromode for the limited number of Manx vehicles being driven abroad. It's only really viable for long trips anyway. Most people fly and hire for the average length holiday.

It’s nothing to do with Brexit, directly. As part of updating other arrangements consequential on Brexit, the U.K. has updated its membership of the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic from the 1949 version to the latest one, which it hadn’t ratified before.

Its ratification also extends to the Crown Dependencies. Not sure it does impose an MOT type roadworthiness inspection. General rule is if a vehicles complies with law of registration it can be used, temporarily, in other Convention countries.

Theres already been one side effect. Under the new arrangements International Driving Permits are only issuable for 1 year. Previously IoM did 3 yearly ones.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s nothing to do with Brexit, directly. As part of updating other arrangements consequential on Brexit, the U.K. has updated its membership of the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic from the 1949 version to the latest one, which it hadn’t ratified before.

Its ratification also extends to the Crown Dependencies. Not sure it does impose an MOT type roadworthiness inspection. General rule is if a vehicles complies with law of registration it can be used, temporarily, in other Convention countries.

Theres already been one side effect. Under the new arrangements International Driving Permits are only issuable for 1 year. Previously IoM did 3 yearly ones.

Last year our VW Camper was MOT exempted.

No-one mentioned  a Vienna Convention....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Seems to be an issue in the Channel Islands also (I assume for the same reasons you cite) where lots of people keep Jersey or Guernsey registered cars in France at airports and second homes. They seem to be suggesting that some sort of MOT is going to have to apply in those cases too otherwise the cars aren’t legal to be driven in Europe.

Edited by thesultanofsheight

34 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I guess you could say it means nothing to you.

2 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

...........I just knew that MOTs would be brought up. Just a money making scam ............roadside checks and if something is found then off to the govt test site is the way to go..........

We were interested in buying a car in Wales some years ago and after arranging to view the car , the seller had it MOT'd.

I flew over and had a drive of the car and as it was not a run of the mill car, I thought all was well.

It failed several Manx tests and only after spending long ££££££s did it pass.

On checking up ( by "Highway Board") it seems the car was giving it's MOT by a tyre garage.:o

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

Because each country is allowed to make its own roadworthiness rules, including classic car exemptions. It’s not blanket.

Yes, under the International rules, as embodied in local legislation, the limits are temporary export for 6-12 months. If absent for more than 12 months you are supposed to tell your home registration authority and export it, and register it where it is on the road, and, if that’s not in EU, pay import taxes, duties, etc.

Lots of Brits on the Costas ran U.K. registered cars with no MOT and didn’t return then annually. Some tried to put them through Spanish ITV, or Gibraltar MOT to have the piece of paper, but they were cheating the Spanish authorities of road tax equivalent.

There was a big squeeze in last 5 years. Many cars confiscated.

Yes, some people from Jersey, Guernsey, even IoM keep cars semi permanently  in U.K. or further afield, and aren’t bothered by MOT at present.

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Seems to be an issue in the Channel Islands also (I assume for the same reasons you cite) where lots of people keep Jersey or Guernsey registered cars in France at airports and second homes. They seem to be suggesting that some sort of MOT is going to have to apply in those cases too otherwise the cars aren’t legal to be driven in Europe.

The legality of driving if there is no MOT equivalent in the state of registration isn’t really the issue. It’s that the EU had looser arrangements than provided by Vienna. 

After Brexit all those vehicles, after 6 or 12 months, will be illegal, subject to seizure and confiscation, until customs duty, import taxes and VAT are paid.

• Like 1

Paging W2 who will now appear and tell us that Vienna is not about cars, but about the interpretation of international treaties and conventions. He did it last time this topic was raised, a few months ago.

2 hours ago, woolley said:

with the cost of the ferry it is cheaper to hire a car the other side if you can carry your luggage.

27 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Paging W2 who will now appear and tell us that Vienna is not about cars, but about the interpretation of international treaties and conventions. He did it last time this topic was raised, a few months ago.

That's not the kind of language Woody would use.

16 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

That's not the kind of language Woody would use.

I politely summarise and paraphrase

• Like 1