Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
La Colombe

Lack Of Road Safety Strategy...

40 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

That's not the kind of language Woody would use.

#fakenews...

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I thought that vehicle defects were a relatively minor contributor to accidents on IoM, I believe Derek has posted that on a number of occasions?

Entirely personal opinion? Most of it boils down to sheer bad driving, lack of experience or even poor training. First frost yesterday and the Mountain is shut because somebody couldn't drive to the conditions. Vehicles whose speed and power far exceeds their predecessors of years gone by. But our roads haven't changed. They remain narrow roads and lanes, occasionally difficult to negotiate.

A Driving Test that is now reportedly(?) only 30min in length. Offering little time to check standards or the candidate to make a failure of judgement that could otherwise call their driving into question.

95% of collisions are down to driver error. I’m not, therefore a fan of the MOT, but I concede that it increasingly has a seat at the table to help change culture, and drive responsibility for standards - much in the same way as risk assessed speed limit setting.

19 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

While I wouldn't like it I can't help thinking some kind of competency review or something might be an idea worth looking at. And building a skid pan. The only time I've ever had a proper skid I ended up in a wall because I didn't really know how to deal with it.

There is a cheap way to provide skid training. It’s something I’m examining at the moment with a potential partner. I’ve looked at the traditional skid pan route and it’s prohibitively expensive

18 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Do they still incorporate the skid pan in the advanced drivers test?

Only the police ones across, at class 1 level

16 hours ago, Max Power said:

I'm not disagreeing with you Twitch, just trying to put a little perspective on the statistics, which could be presented in a more meaningful fashion.

Speed isn’t the only issue.

This Strategy, if properly resourced and driven, has the potential to completely change a damaged culture. I want to see that happen, but if Government policy makes the tactician’s job more difficult then there is little hope.

I think that if politicians bothered to read this thread, they would be surprised to see the leaning towards more controls on speed than currently exists. There is a cohort that seem to want to persist with the status quo on derestriction, whilst saying that there will be a risk-based approach to speed. Are they unable to see the contradiction there? The Mountain Road would immediately be subject to nothing higher than 60mph - not a figure plucked out of the air but based on current road engineering methodology. 

But can we see that happening? Despite the DOI policy on speed limit setting stating that it’s not a political matter, government has made it so. 

So when there is a speed- related fatality on that route, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that the Coroner will call the DOI and ask why, despite policy saying a risk based approach will prevail, a limit wasn’t set? When the chief Exec tells him that it was because of political pressure, then who does he call? The Chief Minister? 

That is where it really gets interesting.

• Like 1

sad report of an inquest in the news on a biker who died at the same spot and 24hrs after another of the same group met a similar end.

spot the difference  Brandywell - one footy arrow, elsewhere damn great warning signs, multiple arrows and roadside markers

roads have to be safe for people who don't know them as well as those who do

WHEN will the DoI put some WARNING SIGNS on corners you can't just steer around ? there's not even a 'Black Spot' sign (remember them ? where have they all disappeared to ?)

Brandywell.jpg

A685.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tempus Fugit said:

sad report of an inquest in the news on a biker who died at the same spot and 24hrs after another of the same group met a similar end.

spot the difference  Brandywell - one footy arrow, elsewhere damn great warning signs, multiple arrows and roadside markers

roads have to be safe for people who don't know them as well as those who do

WHEN will the DoI put some WARNING SIGNS on corners you can't just steer around ? there's not even a 'Black Spot' sign (remember them ? where have they all disappeared to ?)

Brandywell.jpg

A685.jpg

which corner can't you steer around?

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

There is a cheap way to provide skid training. It’s something I’m examining at the moment with a potential partner. I’ve looked at the traditional skid pan route and it’s prohibitively expensive

Douglas prom after an over-topping event?

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

which corner can't you steer around?

any corner where you don't have to brake or take any other action as well as just steer around

4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

playstation ??

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I had a cheaper way, which was to handbrake and slide it around jurby airfield whenever it snowed. The cops kicked me off last time 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

I had a cheaper way, which was to handbrake and slide it around jurby airfield whenever it snowed. The cops kicked me off last time 

Joking apart, it’s a good way to learn.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

There used to be one on Andreas airfield, had lot's of skatey time there!

Flinty, are you talking about one of those frames with castors on?........