Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
La Colombe

Lack Of Road Safety Strategy...

I've read through the road safety strategy, and I have to say it's very disappointing. It seems to be all about gathering data and 'evidence' and discussing stuff rather than actually doing anything. Amazingly, it also dismisses at the start any suggestion of an all-island speed limit. There is obviously already plenty of evidence of serious RTC's on roads with no speed limit, such as the A18, so what they hope to achieve by gathering more for more years I don't know. In the time they spend gathering evidence, many more people are going to be KSI'd.

It also refers a lot to our 'special' circumstances; ie unlimited roads and motorsport events. I really do think it's just a massive cop out. How on earth you can talk about an evidence based strategy, then dismiss speed control before you've even started... clearly somebody has already made their mind up about this. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, flaps said:

I've read through the road safety strategy, and I have to say it's very disappointing. It seems to be all about gathering data and 'evidence' and discussing stuff rather than actually doing anything. Amazingly, it also dismisses at the start any suggestion of an all-island speed limit. There is obviously already plenty of evidence of serious RTC's on roads with no speed limit, such as the A18, so what they hope to achieve by gathering more for more years I don't know. In the time they spend gathering evidence, many more people are going to be KSI'd.

It also refers a lot to our 'special' circumstances; ie unlimited roads and motorsport events. I really do think it's just a massive cop out. How on earth you can talk about an evidence based strategy, then dismiss speed control before you've even started... clearly somebody has already made their mind up about this. 

That idiot shimmies on the radio before asking questions in Tynwald as to whe we are not extending the 20 mph zones to cover all urban areas, as it is vital than pedestrians are not hit at more than 20.

180mph over the mountain is ok, but 30 is too fast on the prom or peel road . 

He may have done well in the bank, but he is useless in government 

He only speaks about once each year too and each time it is crap

Who votes for these bloody people?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flaps said:

I agree. It is a fudge, as I’ve said from the outset. But at least there is something to hold them to account with now.

3 hours ago, dilligaf said:

That idiot shimmies on the radio before asking questions in Tynwald as to whe we are not extending the 20 mph zones to cover all urban areas, as it is vital than pedestrians are not hit at more than 20.

180mph over the mountain is ok, but 30 is too fast on the prom or peel road . 

He may have done well in the bank, but he is useless in government 

He only speaks about once each year too and each time it is crap

He actually speaks pretty much every sitting - one of the few that do (probably more often than Onchan's local hero Callister I may add).I don't agree with what he says most of the time but what is wrong with a 20 mph speed limit in towns? I am sure he mentioned an all island speed limit as well. As to why 20mph check this out. 

This vote was a bit odd today Malarkey talked about wanting better enforcement but then didn't want to introduce speed cameras (with an under strength police force how else are they going to monitor speed). One member of comin talked about how wonderful peoples driving is over here then in the same breath how people don't know how to use roundabouts (think that was either Malarkey or Cregeen). Still it's in and it's a start as Derek says.

• Like 4

The whole thing is a whitewash to try and make out they are interested in road safety .

look at item 7.3      "undertake local research on attitudes in relation to seatbelt use and compliance"

There are volumes of research already on seat belt use over decades. They want   to take years collecting unnecessary information which will keep lots of people in jobs and nothing will be done . 

Perhaps in a few years they will have a referendum to see if we want seat belts to be worn or not .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

A future where no-one is killed or sustains serious/life changing injuries on our roads

Better ban people bringing motorbikes over then.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

''  Investigate whether NCAP safety ratings should
be used to determine the price of vehicle duty ''

Safe for the Range Rover occupants, what about those in the the more popular cars hit at a closing speed of 60mph???

Not any point in moaning about the CS speak, at least it lays out a strategy, optimistic?, idealistic? and of course, subject to the whims of Tynwald!

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 6:32 PM, dilligaf said:

Other bloody idiots.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

So folks, 

this is how they are going to do it. 

Starting with Range Rovers potentially being subject to the cheapest road tax 

https://www.gov.im/media/1364204/road-safety-action-plan.pdf

Discuss/

We have to balance road safety strategy with our economic needs.

We can't possibly risking jeopardizing our economic growth which will be driven by the owners of such vehicles by charging them any sort of realistic duty based on pollution, environmental footprint and road use.

To include close acquaintances in the socio-economic groups closest to our esteemed leaders.

Arse licking and mate-fondling of the highest order. Well done, Derek for flagging this up.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2019 at 9:52 PM, TheTeapot said:

35 uses of the word review in that document.

How many times did they use the word "strategic"?

On 1/25/2019 at 11:25 PM, Non-Believer said:

We have to balance road safety strategy with our economic needs.

We can't possibly risking jeopardizing our economic growth which will be driven by the owners of such vehicles by charging them any sort of realistic duty based on pollution, environmental footprint and road use.

To include close acquaintances in the socio-economic groups closest to our esteemed leaders.

Arse licking and mate-fondling of the highest order. Well done, Derek for flagging this up.

Surprisingly, a lot of these newer larger vehicles are taxed on their CO2 g/km and are reasonably inexpensive to tax already.