Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
La Colombe

Lack Of Road Safety Strategy...

17 minutes ago, Max Power said:

No photo description available.

No need for an MOT?

Not yours is it Max..? :lol:

But what are its circumstances? When was the axle retaining nut lost? An MOT would only have picked it up if it was presented like that at the test, surely? 

If it's worked loose (or been left loose) between tests an MOT wouldn't have made any difference. Regular checks by an owner are just as important.

13 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Not yours is it Max..? :lol:

But what are its circumstances? When was the axle retaining nut lost? An MOT would only have picked it up if it was presented like that at the test, surely? 

If it's worked loose (or been left loose) between tests an MOT wouldn't have made any difference. Regular checks by an owner are just as important.

Not mine, but a local bike apparently. The spindle is either wrongly fitted or the incorrect one has been installed. I don't think there was ever a nut fitted, the spindle should be flush with the end of the fork leg boss and the clamping bolts secure it. 

There were a couple of other photos of faults on the same machine but they would have taken up too much room. 

I agree with what you say but the owner obviously has no idea that anything is wrong.

Pretty sure it should be a tube nut that the main spindle screws into. The tube nut itself is clamped into the bottom of the fork leg by the pinch bolts. It would take some doing to lose it under normal circumstances. Faulty maintenance? As the saying goes, "The mother of stupid is always pregnant".

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

how would an annual MOT have resolved this problem then?

It would have picked up that the spindle is incorrectly installed at some point, the owner is obviously not aware or doesn't understand the implications. You could say that about any defect doc, but allowing people to be blissfully unaware for years on end can only end in tears sooner or later.

Just now, Max Power said:

It would have picked up that the spindle is incorrectly installed at some point, the owner is obviously not aware or doesn't understand the implications. You could say that about any defect doc, but allowing people to be blissfully unaware for years on end can only end in tears sooner or later.

Where does the photo originate from and what was reason for the bike to be looked at ?

4 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Where does the photo originate from and what was reason for the bike to be looked at ?

Someone I know just saw it and photographed it.

Just now, Max Power said:

Someone I know just saw it and photographed it.

Bloody Hell. I hope he left a note for the rider !!!!!

Just now, dilligaf said:

Bloody Hell. I hope he left a note for the rider !!!!!

He pointed it out to him yes.

• Thanks 1

Should have took the keys and posted them to the Test Centre.... :lol:

• Like 1