Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
La Colombe

Lack Of Road Safety Strategy...

1 minute ago, emesde said:

Totally separate from the speed limit issue . I believe that post brexit, rules will come in that will mean in order to drive in any EU country a driver must be able to prove the road worthiness of a vehicle. UK citizens will be able to produce an MOT certificate . As we currently have no MOT system here how will we do this??? .Is this yet another issue that should be in the strategy but is being ignored because we are different ??. Is the idea to totally isolate us from the rest of the real world . The people in charge of transport and safety policies really do need to get in step with what is happening world wide or we will be left 54 years behind the times . (the National speed limit of 70 mph was set in 1965 in the UK) 

Its a good point, and one I've heard mentioned a few times now. 

I think there will be an interesting debate in the house on this. I might actually go along and see what happens. 

I might put a tenner on there being a select committee formed. We seem to favour that approach when faced with the bleeding obvious. 

• Like 5

Is anyone sticking up for the current situation? Where else in the world has fully de-restricted roads? 

32 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I might put a tenner on there being a select committee formed. We seem to favour that approach when faced with the bleeding obvious. 

Almost certainly. And my tenner goes on that committee reporting back in six month's time with findings and recommendations. Which would duly be laid before Tynwald. Which would then vote to "receive" the report.

Meaning it gets put on the backburner. Or the "dusty shelf" with various other "received" reports (aka too difficult, political hot potato or can't be arsed), there are a few in that category if my memory serves me.

The mindset is that unrestricted is part of our USP motorsport heritage. Including our "big earner" ( if you believe DfE) TT and FOM. Regardless of the cost in money and lives. Regardless of statistics to the opposite.

• Like 2

The question is how many tt fans would show up if it was just to watch the racing if they couldn't  also have a lap themselves. Can't see it affecting the festival of motorcycling crowd too much but the tt crowd certainly.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Is anyone sticking up for the current situation? Where else in the world has fully de-restricted roads? 

COMIN is

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

The question is how many tt fans would show up if it was just to watch the racing if they couldn't  also have a lap themselves. Can't see it affecting the festival of motorcycling crowd too much but the tt crowd certainly.

Nobody would be stopping them having a lap themselves though? It would just mean that they'd be subject to restriction(s) on the way up, on the Mountain Mile and the way down. As they already are, at the end of the day, everywhere else around the course, including a lot of the mountain already, even under the one way conditions?

3 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

How many of the tt crowd come for the racing rather to race the mountain themselves? Has anybody ever asked these questions on the boat questionaire?

The answers would in all probability, not suit some of those in power

4 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

There are a lot that don’t go “up top” because it is perceived as dangerous, rightly or wrongly. I think the ‘set piece’ the police have to execute in the instance of any incident up there leans heavily towards the former. 

There is now rarely a bump between Douglas and Ramsey on that whole outward part of the road. That has been due to the introduction of more limits - top of Barregarow, and Quarry Bends to cute but two. The 50 limit on the Douglas to Laxey road resulted in a massive reduction in collisions on that route. The picture is slowly getting better. It just needs the final push. 

People come primarily to see the racing and enjoy the Island. A few, locals and visitors enjoy a high speed run across the top. My opinion is we need to find a safer way of still allowing that, whilst releasing the police from their burden of policing it, and removing any consequences from the road traffic collision statistics. 

We can make a big difference, but it takes creativity, balls and vision.

• Like 1

Seems to me the road safety strategy is basically going to be to reduce or introduce speed limits. Over the last ten or more years, a lot of speed limits have been brought in. Is there any info on wether these have brought down accidents? How about hammering drivers overtaking on double white lines, talking/texting on mobiles, blasting through existing speed limits. See how much that improves things over a year or so. Let’s face it, idiots are going to do all the above anyway, so what difference is a lower number on a road sign going to make? It’s lack of a deterrent at the moment that’s making things dangerous, not lack of a national speed limit.

• Like 5

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:55 PM, John Wright said:

All drivers to undertake a full day speed and hazard awareness education course as part of driver education.

50mph limits out of town

20mph limits in town

15mph in residential areas

10 year retaking of tests

And 1, 2, and 3 backed up by APNR detection and suspension of licence until paid for and attended speed and hazard awareness training.

And tongue in cheek, I’d ban IAM, which in my view actually encourages bad driving disguised as better driving, in terms of techniques.

With due respect John, that is not your best post.

We are not a nation of old fogies and cyclists yet.

50MPH is slow and ridiculously slow for an overall speed limit.

20MPH is too slow for town and would create even more tailbacks and very hard to achieve on roads like the prom. etc. and create more anger and road rage.

15MPH is again too low and would be ignored by most drivers.

On open roads like the mountain, a limit of 70 or 80 MPH would maybe be adhered to, nothing lower would.

We don't have the resources to police these intended limits, so they have to be acceptable for safety reasons by drivers/riders and that is only going to happen by education.

Bullying won't work. BIG penalties might, but education has to be the answer, surely ?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

...it takes creativity, balls and vision.

That rules out Quayle and his COMIN then.

Edited by Uhtred
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

A few speed cameras wouldn't go amiss particularly where the unrestricted stretches end. Anyone with an objection probably has a problem complying with speed limits in any event.

• Like 3

A few years ago I was standing talking to a collection of Irish guys on large powerful motorcycles at the pre TT races. The subject of speed limits came up and they said to a man that the only reason they came to the island was the lack of speed limits, all their motorcycles had the tiny unreadable number plates on. This is the reason that COMIN don't want to limit speed the perceived tourist pound !

• Like 2

I think that you are right about this. However no responsible government anywhere has ever based a road safety policy in support of  road users who intend to drive /ride in a manner that is dangerous and anti social. A road safety policy is one thing. Allowing people to drive at dangerous speeds is a separate issue and with some vision both could be catered for. Allowing motor cyclists and car drivers to use a closed roads circuit for a fee and proof of suitable insurance could be an option and a money earner. 

But doing nohing just gives us the worst of all worlds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2