Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
La Colombe

Lack Of Road Safety Strategy...

Don’t worry, Derek Flint to the rescue !

What on earth was that rubbish he was spouting on Manx Radio news at lunchtime ?

He reckons we have a “Road Safety Emergency” now  ffs, whatever next?

How can our island be compared in any way at all the the UK. Chalk and cheese.

Grandstanding for some reason, maybe intending to stand at the next election ? !!!!!!

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Don’t worry, Derek Flint to the rescue !

What on earth was that rubbish he was spouting on Manx Radio news at lunchtime ?

He reckons we have a “Road Safety Emergency” now  ffs, whatever next?

How can our island be compared in any way at all the the UK. Chalk and cheese.

Grandstanding for some reason, maybe intending to stand at the next election ? !!!!!!

I’m sorry but I’m going to defend Derek on this subject. I’m afraid the public figures quoted by the Director of Public Health are mostly correct, but unfortunately have upset one sector of society, who hate the truth, and would rather the truth is swept under the lumpy carpet.

As I previously posted on here I have no problem with MOTS being introduced on a yearly.

As I previously posted on here I have no problem with the introduction of speed limits, local and nationally. 

Unpopular decisions have to be made, sadly we would made, which the Politicos are afraid of making. Vested Interests? Afraid to upset the TT lobby? We can always handwring at the next Coroners of Inquests findings, like the findings of Michael Moyle at the great TT accident fiasco of times gone by, ignored!

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I’m sorry but I’m going to defend Derek on this subject. I’m afraid the public figures quoted by the Director of Public Health are mostly correct, but unfortunately have upset one sector of society, who hate the truth, and would rather the truth is swept under the lumpy carpet.

As I previously posted on here I have no problem with MOTS being introduced on a yearly.

As I previously posted on here I have no problem with the introduction of speed limits, local and nationally. 

Unpopular decisions have to be made, sadly we would made, which the Politicos are afraid of making. Vested Interests? Afraid to upset the TT lobby? We can always handwring at the next Coroners of Inquests findings, like the findings of Michael Moyle at the great TT accident fiasco of times gone by, ignored!

I agree with everything you have said. I am in favour of some testing and speed limits. My point is that Derek did not do himself or the cause any favors with his stupid comment about is now having “ a Road Safety Emergency”

44 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Have to say Derek had it right and probably has good knowledge from his former role. But we can’t admit failure in any government strategy can we? And how would an increased safety focus impact on our beloved festival of death? I wouldn’t have my kid cycling on these roads despite the dangerous active travel claptrap coming out of Harmer. One drive across the Mountain on a morning is enough to convince you that we do have a road safety emergency that we’re doing absolutely sod all about. It would actually be easy to deal with it too if you actually ever saw any policemen doing anything. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Have to say Derek had it right and probably has good knowledge from his former role. But we can’t admit failure in any government strategy can we? And how would a safety focus impact on our beloved festival of death? I wouldn’t have my kid cycling on these roads despite the dangerous active travel claptrap coming out of Harmer. One drive across the Mountain on a morning is enough to convince you that we do have a road safety emergency that we’re doing absolutely sod all about. 

Who was the copper who wanted to befriend all the boy racers, to the point that they thought they could drive like arseholes on the road and in Nobles park because they now had a Police “ fwend”, It did not improve safety for anyone did it Derek ?

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

...maybe intending to stand at the next election ? !!!!!!

My thoughts too. And midway through the current administration is about the time to start putting your name out there.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Introduce speed limits and speed cameras. Nothing to worry about unless you are breaking the law.

These are controlling mechanisms only, they don’t cut to the heart of the matter...the standard of driving on this Island is utterly abysmal.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Out cycling today and was amazed at the number of English registered vehicles who took no notice of the 1.5mtr rule regarding passing cyclists

UK registered cars are the worst offenders in my experience. Nearly all IOM reg cars now do seem to wait, and give a suitably wide berth.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

My thoughts too. And midway through the current administration is about the time to start putting your name out there.

If he stands fair enough. It’s a straight fight between him and Allinson or Hooper. I can’t see him taking votes off Allinson in particular but nothing should stop people from putting themselves forward. 

2 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

If he stands fair enough. It’s a straight fight between him and Allinson or Hooper. I can’t see him taking votes off Allinson in particular but nothing should stop people from putting themselves forward. 

And nor was I suggesting he shouldn’t stand. Of the two incumbents Hooper is certainly the more vulnerable.

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Show me the statistics that indicate the number of deaths and injury caused by un-roadworthy vehicles in the Isle of Man and then justify your comments.

I agree with your other point of view about speed limits and their enforcement.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Show me the statistics that indicate the number of deaths and injury caused by un-roadworthy vehicles in the Isle of Man and then justify your comments.

I agree with your other point of view about speed limits and their enforcement.

I am not a young fella and in my long driving time can only think of one fatality that was caused by a vehicle being unroadworthy and that was when that poor young lad was killed by the truck wheel. There are loads of sheds of cars vans and trucks over here though and some form of test would not go amiss.

It’s driving standards that is the main problem and the stupid advertising that “we” are the road racing capital of the world and the bragging about open roads and freedom to ride like a dick, that is problematic.

How daft is it to have TT riders going into schools telling impressionable kids how cool it is to be a hero ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We're clearly a dangerous place to live. Twice as likely to die in a road traffic accident compared to the UK and twice as likely to die from drug abuse as the UK (MR News)

Thank feck the pub's a safe haven.

.......and the lorry the wheel came off was subject to annual tests, as most commercial over here are. 

• Like 2