Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
La Colombe

Lack Of Road Safety Strategy...

Whenever I get into this, why do I always feel as though I'm in a trade association meeting?

Edited by woolley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

That's not even the dangerous stuff, you've got corrosion (transit/land rover chassis anyone!?) , rusty brake lines, fuel/oil leaks, HID kits incorrectly installed, I've seen wheel nuts missing, well not just wheel nuts but the whole stud missing, wheel bearings, rear beams collapsing (Citroen/Peugeot), diff/subframe mounts trying to rip themselves out (BMW), not just scratched windscreens but ones with cracks are fairly common, non functioning handbrakes, air bag lights ignored and seat belts not functioning/retracting correctly. The list goes on, you only need to speak to a few garages and you'll hear a few of the horror stories, some people don't bring a car in to be checked until something is about to fall off.

I know exactly what you're talking about, seen some right horror stories over the years. I don't need to speak to any garages. I was mainly concentrating on the items which it would be almost impossible to determine but probably could cause a driver to lose control and cause a serious accident. They would never be reported as defects on a post accident test, corrosion, missing wheel bolts and obvious defective components would be picked up.

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

Whenever I get into this, why do I always feel as though I'm in a trade association meeting?

We've agreed to disagree so I can't exactly elaborate without getting into another discussion. its obvious I won't change your mind but if you get opportunity next time you take your car in for servicing speak to the mechanic(s) and hopefully they'll give you some truths about how people maintain their cars.

8 minutes ago, woolley said:

What you have to remember is that the trade sees all of the potential accident causing defects on cars circulating the island, it has very little power to do anything about it.

2 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

We've agreed to disagree so I can't exactly elaborate without getting into another discussion. its obvious I won't change your mind but if you get opportunity next time you take your car in for servicing speak to the mechanic(s) and hopefully they'll give you some truths about how people maintain their cars.

Yep. As I said I've been round the block on this umpteen times with max and others (as with many subjects!) and you do sometimes wonder what is the point in treading the same old ground (Duh! After how many thousand posts??!!).  I do know a couple of mechanics and a trade business owner quite well. I won't betray any confidences and everyone has a living to make, but as agreed, you stick to your view and I'll stick to mine. I'm out unless anything startlingly new comes along.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 3:42 PM, dilligaf said:

Don’t worry, Derek Flint to the rescue !

What on earth was that rubbish he was spouting on Manx Radio news at lunchtime ?

He reckons we have a “Road Safety Emergency” now  ffs, whatever next?

How can our island be compared in any way at all the the UK. Chalk and cheese.

Grandstanding for some reason, maybe intending to stand at the next election ? !!!!!!

Thanks for the feedback.

i was asked to comment, on the back of 20 yrs experience and as Hon president of IOM Advanced Motorists, on the headline. 

The headline is just that,  but there are also lots of other potential comparators, such as deaths/serious injuries per km driven. The bottom line though is I highlighted this back as long ago as 2006/7.

Sod all was done at a Govt level, so practitioners were pissing in the wind with tactics to try and stem the tide of death and serious injury.

my only desire is to stimulate the debate, so we actually start doing something. That was, less families will suffer the screaming pain that accompanies road death and life changing injuries. 

If that is rubbish, you might want to reflect on your values.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Max Power said:

Testing would pick up things such as scratched windscreens, out of adjustment headlights, worn shock absorbers, poor brake efficiency, non functioning wipers and washers, mismatched tyres etc etc etc. All items which would probably be damaged in a serious accident and impossible to determine if they caused the driver to lose control. These would most likely never appear on an accident report for that reason and so distorts the statement that few accidents are caused by vehicle defects. This is not to mention accidents where the vehicle(s) are damaged and there is no police involvement or a vehicle is not examined. 

95% of collisions are down to driver error. 

We can bring in MOTs, which I concede may help culturally, but would we be better spending the money on the things we know contribute to fatal crashes? Speed, seatbelts, mobile phones and drink driving - the Fatal 4?

These are the debates that are needed, and then actioning. Unfortunately we have no visible figure in Government leading these debates.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

We can bring in MOTs, which I concede may help culturally, but would we be better spending the money on the things we know contribute to fatal crashes? Speed, seatbelts, mobile phones and drink driving - the Fatal 4?

These are the debates that are needed, and then actioning. Unfortunately we have no visible figure in Government leading these debates.

Until they start handing out harsher penalties on the Fatal 4, they will in all probability remain the leading contenders

• Like 1

Using a mobile phone must be the easiest to abolish. £1000 fine for a start. Police go and sit at Quarterbridge during 'rush hour'. Even use big brother technology and watch remotely.

If someone uses a mobile phone while driving there is no greater display that they are not fit to have a driving licence. Take the licence off them and make them resit a test. That is easy and simple.

Using a mobile phone is akin to stepping out of the car and letting it drive itself. If only for a second or two but that is all it takes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Using a mobile phone must be the easiest to abolish. £1000 fine for a start. Police go and sit at Quarterbridge during 'rush hour'. Even use big brother technology and watch remotely.

If someone uses a mobile phone while driving there is no greater display that they are not fit to have a driving licence. Take the licence off them and make them resit a test. That is easy and simple.

Using a mobile phone is akin to stepping out of the car and letting it drive itself. If only for a second or two but that is all it takes.

Why is a phone any different to using a police radio or taxi radio?  Hands free is no diffetent to talking to a passenger sat next to you but the uk wantvthat banned too.   And if a voice is distracting then radios should be banned in cars too,  total silence except for the car noise and we'd still be having crashes every day.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

A fair point. But at the moment, of course, it is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving.

A passenger in a car is generally aware of the surroundings and is in the same situation as the driver and will react accordingly. There's a big traffic queue ahead....you're about to go onto a motorway.....there is a big lorry approaching.

To a similar extent so is the person at the taxi depot or the police control room etc

Maybe there should be a licence for using a (hands free) communication device in a car. 

the Fatal 4, Any accidents resulting from these should be penalised as below:

Speed - Instant 6 month ban with a test to get your licence back

seatbelts - Heavy fine + penalty points

mobile phones - Heavy fine, Instant 24 month ban with a test to get your licence back

drink driving - Heavy fine, instant 5 year ban advanced driving course plus test to get your licence back

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

95% of collisions may be down to driver error but what causes them to make an error? Poor visibility at night caused by a screen scratched, lights out of adjustment? Worn shock absorbers or cheap mismatched tyres causing wandering on bumpy roads? All things probably damaged in an accident which only the driver would know, and he may be dead! 

48 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

the Fatal 4, Any accidents resulting from these should be penalised as below:

Speed - Instant 6 month ban with a test to get your licence back

seatbelts - Heavy fine + penalty points

mobile phones - Heavy fine, Instant 24 month ban with a test to get your licence back

drink driving - Heavy fine, instant 5 year ban advanced driving course plus test to get your licence back

plus car crushed!

I say again, roadside tests, lots of them and not announced and not in one place for long........THEN if anything serious found, off to the GOVERNMENT testing station.

Definitely NOT a profit making organisation............after many years in the garage industry I would still rather sort my own vehicles out having seen some of the practices in big, commercial garages........PLEASE NOTE, I am not talking about many/ of the island's smaller, owner/mechanic garages, some of which I do trust.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gettafa said:

This. And include hands free. No telephone communication of any kind while driving. The person on the other end has no knowledge of the road conditions faced by the driver and may make complex demands on their thought processes at just the wrong moment.  It has beeen found to be more debilitating than drink driving over the limit and it is not an essential activity. If you need to talk, park off the road to do so. 

• Like 2