Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
La Colombe

Lack Of Road Safety Strategy...

Having the phone nestled between shoulder and ear whilst driving is not particularly dangerous at all. But easily noticeable by the cops. So now I'd say about 15% of drivers at any given time are texting or checking facebookat the wheel which is many many times more dangerous. 

5 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Thanks for the feedback.

i was asked to comment, on the back of 20 yrs experience and as Hon president of IOM Advanced Motorists, on the headline. 

The headline is just that,  but there are also lots of other potential comparators, such as deaths/serious injuries per km driven. The bottom line though is I highlighted this back as long ago as 2006/7.

Sod all was done at a Govt level, so practitioners were pissing in the wind with tactics to try and stem the tide of death and serious injury.

my only desire is to stimulate the debate, so we actually start doing something. That was, less families will suffer the screaming pain that accompanies road death and life changing injuries. 

If that is rubbish, you might want to reflect on your values.

Nothing wrong with my values. You know my point was the way your interview went and the “emergency” buzz word being used for every single thing that happens. What does being the Hon. President  of the IOM Advanced. Motorist have to do with anything.

I don’t remember any great improvement in driving standards while you were in the Police either and as I pointed out , I thought you befriending all the boy racers gave them the wrong idea and in my opinion lots of them drove around thinking they could do what they wanted because you were one of the boys

I would love our roads to be safer as I have seen personally how tragic the results of bad driving can be, so please don’t tell me to reflect on my values.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, WTF said:

Why is a phone any different to using a police radio or taxi radio?  Hands free is no diffetent to talking to a passenger sat next to you but the uk wantvthat banned too.   And if a voice is distracting then radios should be banned in cars too,  total silence except for the car noise and we'd still be having crashes every day.

If you think about it you'll see the difference.  With a phone (held or hands-free) you're having a conversation.  You're having to think about what you're saying and concentrate on what is being said to you, so you can reply.  With a radio or whatever you're just listening with a lower level of attention that can drop immediately if something comes up.  Taxi and bus comms are mostly background noise and in emergency vehicles, control room conversations are usually carried out by the passenger not the driver.

Driver conversations with passengers in the same vehicle are a bit different, but the point is that they can also see what is happening on the road and stop talking when the driver needs to concentrate (if you think about it you'll realise how you do this automatically when you're a passenger).  It's completely different from the person on the other end of a phone conversation who might not even realise that the person is driving.  

Of course rows with passengers or small children misbehaving would be exceptions to this, but then those are notorious for causing accidents in any case.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Driver conversations with passengers in the same vehicle are a bit different, but the point is that they can also see what is happening on the road and stop talking when the driver needs to concentrate (if you think about it you'll realise how you do this automatically when you're a passenger).  It's completely different from the person on the other end of a phone conversation who might not even realise that the person is driving.  

Yes. And of course the passenger in the car also has his arse on the line which is wonderfully mind concentrating when it comes to not distracting the driver.

Amazes me the number of drivers and cyclists to be seen driving with personal headphones jammed in earlugs. Completely blanking out anything that's going on around them, such as say a warning beep on a horn or in the case of a cyclist the sound of an approaching vehicle as well.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Max Power said:

95% of collisions may be down to driver error but what causes them to make an error? Poor visibility at night caused by a screen scratched, lights out of adjustment? Worn shock absorbers or cheap mismatched tyres causing wandering on bumpy roads? All things probably damaged in an accident which only the driver would know, and he may be dead! 

My guess would be they think they are more skilful than they actually are.

4 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

Having the phone nestled between shoulder and ear whilst driving is not particularly dangerous at all. But easily noticeable by the cops. So now I'd say about 15% of drivers at any given time are texting or checking facebookat the wheel which is many many times more dangerous. 

I think you need your head checking if you think that is okay.

5 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

It is ok. But nobody does it anymore. They text instead - less chance of getting caught 

Never in a million years could it be considered okay. The phone slips and the driver makes a grab losing all interest in the road for a couple of seconds... and that is all it takes

4 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Nothing wrong with my values. You know my point was the way your interview went and the “emergency” buzz word being used for every single thing that happens. What does being the Hon. President  of the IOM Advanced. Motorist have to do with anything.

I don’t remember any great improvement in driving standards while you were in the Police either and as I pointed out , I thought you befriending all the boy racers gave them the wrong idea and in my opinion lots of them drove around thinking they could do what they wanted because you were one of the boys

I would love our roads to be safer as I have seen personally how tragic the results of bad driving can be, so please don’t tell me to reflect on my values.

The point is, they asked me for my comment because of my background - which I was happy to give, purely to fuel the debate and conversation we need to be having. 

During my first stint as Operations Support Group Inspector - which included RPU, we saw a fall in fatal collisons from an average of 10-12 a year, to 6-8 a year. So there was a change - but it wasn't enough in my opinion. Which is why I tirelessly banged on about the need for a national road safety strategy so all the partners had a common set of goals. We are there now. 

And we engaged with every set of motorists. One of which were young car enthusiasts. What should we have done? Ignore them? Ostracise them? or engage and educate, and give a clear baseline as to where the line was drawn, thus reinforcing the message we had given them before they started driving, at school in Year 11. 

That is why I think your comment as to "What rubbish" I was spouting was rather offside my friend. If you don't see it as rubbish, in the light of the further information I have now provided, I would invite you to withdraw the comment. 

10 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

95% of collisions are down to driver error. 

We can bring in MOTs, which I concede may help culturally, but would we be better spending the money on the things we know contribute to fatal crashes? Speed, seatbelts, mobile phones and drink driving - the Fatal 4?

These are the debates that are needed, and then actioning. Unfortunately we have no visible figure in Government leading these debates.

At the very least there needs to be more random stop checks, the Fatal 4 you mention should already be enforced but I can't remember the last time I saw a police car actually pull anyone over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

The point is, they asked me for my comment because of my background - which I was happy to give, purely to fuel the debate and conversation we need to be having. 

During my first stint as Operations Support Group Inspector - which included RPU, we saw a fall in fatal collisons from an average of 10-12 a year, to 6-8 a year. So there was a change - but it wasn't enough in my opinion. Which is why I tirelessly banged on about the need for a national road safety strategy so all the partners had a common set of goals. We are there now. 

And we engaged with every set of motorists. One of which were young car enthusiasts. What should we have done? Ignore them? Ostracise them? or engage and educate, and give a clear baseline as to where the line was drawn, thus reinforcing the message we had given them before they started driving, at school in Year 11. 

That is why I think your comment as to "What rubbish" I was spouting was rather offside my friend. If you don't see it as rubbish, in the light of the further information I have now provided, I would invite you to withdraw the comment. 

My reference to “What Rubbish” was to the So called Emergency

Road safety has always been a problem and always will be when the island is seen a race drivers haven where you can just boot it everywhere

Nothing is done to lose that Image and if fact that image is pushed as a selling point

But then you get such absolute idiocy like the de-restriction sign at the end of Ballacry road. Have you seen the end of the road where it turns off the main Ballaugh to Sulby road?

It is just over a truck width and some very tight bends.................so..............it's designated unrestricted, you can go as fast as you like!

What an utterly ridiculous situation our roads are in. It really does need a complete re-appraisal of which limit is on each road with maybe a maximum of 60mph, overall.

Whilst I wouldn't vote for UK type MOTs, I would vote for spot checks as I outlined and speed limits that are completely checked and re designated island wide by someone sensible....if only.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

95% of collisions are down to driver error. 

We can bring in MOTs, which I concede may help culturally, but would we be better spending the money on the things we know contribute to fatal crashes? Speed, seatbelts, mobile phones and drink driving - the Fatal 4?

These are the debates that are needed, and then actioning. Unfortunately we have no visible figure in Government leading these debates.

I think it should be the Fatal 5 to wit:

Speed, seatbelts, mobile phones, drink driving and stupidity.

Unfortunately there's no cure for the last....

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I think it should be the Fatal 5 to wit:

Speed, seatbelts, mobile phones, drink driving and stupidity.

Unfortunately there's no cure for the last....

What I find depressing, amazing and infuriating all at the same time is the huge incidence of piss-poor fundamental, routine, elements of motoring. Not indicating for a turn; motorcyclists not fucking cancelling their turn signals!; stopping in ludicrously (and obviously) dangerous places; the endemic habit of driving through amber traffic lights when there’s ample time to stop; roadside parking in a way that sterilises other spaces because people don’t pull closer to existing parked vehicles; tailgating;  looking only one way when driving off a junction; driving too fast; driving too slow and , Jesus fucking Christ, not knowing what to do at a sodding roundabout. I witness these week in, week out. It’s positively refreshing to visit the UK where, by and large, most people actually know how to drive.

Rant over. Sorry.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2