Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
La Colombe

Lack Of Road Safety Strategy...

10 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

Having the phone nestled between shoulder and ear whilst driving is not particularly dangerous at all. But easily noticeable by the cops. So now I'd say about 15% of drivers at any given time are texting or checking facebookat the wheel which is many many times more dangerous. 

Or watching TV, which I’ve seen on two separate occasions. Baffling. 

15 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

as Hon president of IOM Advanced Motorists

Do you get to wear an extra special pair of soft leather driving gloves? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, woolley said:

Fuck off!

Eloquently put sir

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Burt said:

OK, its equally as bad. What i will concede is the ever annoying 40 mph brigade. 40 in an unrestricted area, 40 in a 30, 40 everywhere.  

Just that, it's amazing how many of them there are, they're everywhere.  Like you say, you could just about handle the 40mph over the mountain or whatever,  it's the then watching them disappear into the distance as soon as you hit a 30mph speed limit that really takes the cake. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, quilp said:

end-of-speed-limit-910095_960_720.png

It means as there is no officially designated speed limit on this stretch of road, it is up to you to use the stuff that's between your ears to assess the state and condition of the road, together with its width, bends and all considerations including other traffic, and to proceed at a speed which is appropriate. This is why it is totally inappropriate to replace these signs with a numerical speed limit which is often unsuitable and too fast for the road just because the powers that be think it might slow dufus down a bit. Education is needed, not lazy officialdom.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

They should never have let 16 year olds on the roads....... it is a cocktail of trouble and bad endings.

Or women.....

I'll get my coat...and my tin hat :lol: 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, woolley said:

It means as there is no officially designated speed limit on this stretch of road, it is up to you to use the stuff that's between your ears to assess the state and condition of the road, together with its width, bends and all considerations including other traffic, and to proceed at a speed which is appropriate. This is why it is totally inappropriate to replace these signs with a numerical speed limit which is often unsuitable and too fast for the road just because the powers that be think it might slow dufus down a bit. Education is needed, not lazy officialdom.

Thereby lies the problem

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, woolley said:

One of the best posts I've seen here. The same thinking could be applied to so many other situations too.

Unfortunately the reality is that not only do we have an abundance of our own lazy officialdom, but we so often feel the need to import it as well. 

• Like 2

there will always be crashes whilst there are roads.

Edited by WTF

That is very true, when I collected my first car I was told to drive safely a car can be more damaging than a gun,  a gun could only kill one person at a time, obviously he had never heard of automatics, but that thought stuck with me.   I was in my twenties in the time.

I had one of the first production cars with ABS brakes. I thought they were the bollox until someone pointed out that they're only useful if the vehicle behind has them as well.....

There's the rub. The roads are only as safe as the stupidist driver.

The lack of speed limits is IOMG's way of tapping into the "Max Power Wanker" market. Thanks for that.

Try something radical like a 50 mph limit between November and March and see what happens.....

8 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I had one of the first production cars with ABS brakes. I thought they were the bollox until someone pointed out that they're only useful if the vehicle behind has them as well.....

There's the rub. The roads are only as safe as the stupidist driver.

The lack of speed limits is IOMG's way of tapping into the "Max Power Wanker" market. Thanks for that.

Try something radical like a 50 mph limit between November and March and see what happens.....

The main point of ABS is to retain control during braking and avoid a skid, not to reduce braking distance.  ABS can increase braking distance in some road conditions, but it still enables the driver to retain steering control.

3 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

The main point of ABS is to retain control during braking and avoid a skid, not to reduce braking distance.  ABS can increase braking distance in some road conditions, but it still enables the driver to retain steering control.

In dry conditions ABS can shorten the stopping distance by some 20%. In wet conditions that can be up to 40%.

IIRC it's achilles heel is an unstable surface like snow. When you shouldn't be beasting it anyway.

Again it all comes down to how stupid the driver is....

34 minutes ago, P.K. said:

In dry conditions ABS can shorten the stopping distance by some 20%. In wet conditions that can be up to 40%.

IIRC it's achilles heel is an unstable surface like snow. When you shouldn't be beasting it anyway.

Again it all comes down to how stupid the driver is....

The main point of ABS is to retain control during braking and avoid a skid, not to reduce braking distance.