Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Dirty Buggane

New buses all round

4 hours ago, finlo said:

I very much doubt there's any commonalities between a Vito van and a Citaro bus other than the shape of the badge!  

Me too!

The Sprinters, however....

I know nothing about Merc buses but I have a decent grasp of Transits and Sprinters.

Merc panel vans were a really quality bit of kit in the 80s/ early 90s/ Made transits look like tanks. Ford caught up and went way better since then. Transits drive better, are more comfortable, rust less and most importantly cost less to run than Mercs. This is a really stupid decision for the Police/ public finances.

P.S. I would love to see the resale values of the Sprinter mini buses with all that expensive tail ramps and stuff. They are basically crew vans that are unpopular in the second hand market. You could have kept a wing at Nobles running for the write downs on them.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

There is, of course, absolutely no reason why the rationale behind the spending of public money shouldn't be in the public domain. Especially when there are so many good reasons why it should be.

So the much hackneyed "commercially confidential" is always trotted out on the flimsiest of excuses.

Personally I've always thought it's simply a CYA routine.

After all, don't want the hoi palloi getting restless now do we...?

Edited by P.K.
Really poor grammar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, P.K. said:

Me too!

The Sprinters, however....

Don't think the police have any Sprinters?

9 minutes ago, finlo said:

As I posted above why isn't the policy rationale in the public domain...?

• Like 1

Since the days of Eddie Teare commercially confidential is the fallback position.... I'd like it to be less commercially confidential where and why we lost 33 million of taxpayers money in the film fund, but hey commercially confidential seemed to cover it at the time.

I've said this before, there should be a set of rules where "commercially confidential" is acceptable, and it should be on very limited and strict terms where the use of public money is concerned. It should not be a cover all when people have acted outside their remit, or made poor decisions, or money has been used in circumstances which are open to debate !

Commercially confidential is another get out of jail card instead of commercially accountable !!!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, finlo said:

Derek, a few posts back, said they were getting a load of sprinters in place of transits because Ian Longworth said they had to.

That guy must have some pictures of senior CS in compromising positions with various animals or something, how come he has so much sway?

1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

Derek, a few posts back, said they were getting a load of sprinters in place of transits because Ian Longworth said they had to.

That guy must have some pictures of senior CS in compromising positions with various animals or something, how come he has so much sway?

No they've been given Vito's along with the post office.

1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

Is it not simply that IOM Gov. have a great discount and service package for bulk buying commercial vehicles, whether they are buses, minibuses vans and maybe even trucks ?

14 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Is it not simply that IOM Gov. have a great discount and service package for bulk buying commercial vehicles, whether they are buses, minibuses vans and maybe even trucks ?

You're not that green Dilli!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, finlo said:

You're not that green Dilli!

I have very few emissions 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Nothing so exciting I'm afraid.  Longworth is basically a bully and the rest of them are simply to weak and uncaring to stand up to him.  What I suspect is happening is that Longworth simply does whatever he wants to do (against the usual rules governing procurement etc) and then tells them that if they don't like it they will have to sack him.  Unlike other civil servants who have been pushed out (such as Malcolm Crouch and Chris Corlett) he won't quietly resign, but fight them legally and publicly every inch of the way. 

Now the idea that a senior civil servant can be sacked simply for being incompetent, spendthrift and operating illegally, is the very last thing that his civil service colleagues will want to encourage.  "Use every man after his desert, and who should 'scape whipping?" as Hamlet remarked[1].  So when Longworth behaves like this they give in, like a parent being harassed for sweets in a supermarket, and everything is covered up and 'regularised'.

What is more, because Longworth has been behaving like this for years, if they tried to get rid of him he could point to all the previous times he has been indulged and this will be embarrassing for all those who let him break the rules in the past as well as making him harder to sack.  It won't just be Black and the other DoI chiefs who are involved, but the Chief Ministers, Chief Secretary; Treasury Ministers and Chief Finance Officers; the Attorney General and so on.  So the bad toddler keeps on getting sweeties.

This isn't unique - it's exactly how Proffitt got away with the MEA disaster for so long and why he was never prosecuted, despite all the irregularities.  The likes of Bell rushed around getting rid of documents after the story broke because he and the civil servants were compromised as well - not particularly by what they had done but what they had failed to do, even though though things should have been under their control.

[1]  To a senior civil servant called Polonius as it happened.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Amazing to think though that he's already been "retired" once; and then returned, usurping his successor in the process, IIRC?

• Confused 1