Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Lxxx

Public debate on HPV vaccines

It is from a survey looking at where Wellington Bombers needed strengthening from the damage they received on raids. It was the start of understanding how survivor bias can distort results. 

The areas that needed strengthening were where there were no bullet holes not where there were lots.  Damage in the areas lacking bullet holes was fatal. Those areas with lots of damage were the most robust and needed strengthening least. 

The opposite of a naive analysis. 

• Like 4

So, if I got a shingles vaccine in my left arm, that's wrong because that is where the vaccine damage occurs, so, I should have had it in my right arm and then my left would have been Ok? Ah, but, if I had it in my right arm, then my left would have been more susceptible  to Shingles and fatal consequences?

I'm confused, have \I had my Tea? You're not my Sister! Is that Vera Lynn I hear???

13 hours ago, Rog said:

There's a great deal of opposition from some religious groups to immunisation against HPV as there's a strong belief that it will encourage promiscuity.  

One example of many -----

https://nationalpost.com/health/debate-over-hpv-vaccine-flares-up-in-alberta-after-catholic-leaders-warn-shots-encourage-pre-marital-sex

If anyone should know anything about pre marital sex. It would be a Catholic clergyman.

10 minutes ago, prism10 said:

If anyone should know anything about pre marital sex. It would be a Catholic clergyman.

And the unfortunate children they met.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Rog said:

There's a great deal of opposition from some religious groups to immunisation against HPV as there's a strong belief that it will encourage promiscuity.  

One example of many -----

https://nationalpost.com/health/debate-over-hpv-vaccine-flares-up-in-alberta-after-catholic-leaders-warn-shots-encourage-pre-marital-sex

It should only ever be a matter of personal choice. Nothing to do with churchy people at all. Hypocrites.

• Thanks 1

Just now, dilligaf said:

It should only ever be a matter of personal choice. Nothing to do with churchy people at all. Hypocrites.

The single most unsuitable entity to offer commentary on morality and ethics is the Roman Catholic Church...with all other organised religion just a smidgin behind them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm often seeing the pro vs anti vaccination argument being played out. I personally have no opinion either way. But I just had a thought: what vaccines am I supposed to have had? The last vaccine I had was for Meningitis which I think was back in around 2002? Is that enough?

3 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

I'm often seeing the pro vs anti vaccination argument being played out. I personally have no opinion either way. But I just had a thought: what vaccines am I supposed to have had? The last vaccine I had was for Meningitis which I think was back in around 2002? Is that enough?

Depends how old you are, but the schedule of vaccinations is here

Given the rise of previously isolated or practically irradiated diseases in the anti-vacc communities (the US is a good example), I'm not exactly sure how this even a debate.

31 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

Given the rise of previously isolated or practically irradiated diseases in the anti-vacc communities (the US is a good example), I'm not exactly sure how this even a debate.

Debate is a process that involves formal discussion on a particular topic - it's how it works.

25 minutes ago, PmJ said:

Debate is a process that involves formal discussion on a particular topic - it's how it works.

I understand that.  However, the debate was already had when we developed the vaccines and basically wiped out certain diseases.

Vaccines work, tiny coffins are bad.

Now hipster parents with degrees from Google University and the College of Mumsnet are allowing disease to grow and spread.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

You're a threat to herd immunity. Please get yourself down to the doctors and demand all your boosters asap.

• Haha 1