Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Uhtred

Where did the voters go..?

If the observations made by Mr. Jones of Peel Commissioners in the interview (audio file in link) are accurate and reliable, then this is really rather serious. And Howard Quayle asks an individual who was complained about to investigate themselves? What?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/grave-mistake-over-removal-of-voters-must-be-answered-for-peel-commissioners/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

If the observations made by Mr. Jones of Peel Commissioners in the interview (audio file in link) are accurate and reliable, then this is really rather serious. And Howard Quayle asks an individual who was complained about to investigate themselves? What?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/grave-mistake-over-removal-of-voters-must-be-answered-for-peel-commissioners/

I said so at the time whoever signed that electoral role disaster off should have been investigated by the police. 

Well clearly Buster was found guilty and served time for electoral shenanigans. Should any of these named parties be proved guilty of such then one would hope that justice would be equally served?

Am I right in saying there's no such thing as an Electoral Commission that oversees this kind of thing??

Our lot get sent on jollies (and yes, it is a jolly) all over the globe to oversee elections.

Maybe we should ask Zimbabwe, Philippines etc to come and see how it's done on t' Isle of Man

Edited by gettafa

17 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Our lot get sent on jollies (and yes, it is a jolly) all over the globe to oversee elections.

Maybe we should ask Zimbabwe, Philippines etc to come and see how it's done on t' Isle of Man

We’d better not - they’d be appalled.

Weren’t they taken off the list because there had been no details  received following the electoral roll update process?

11 minutes ago, kevster said:

Weren’t they taken off the list because there had been no details  received following the electoral roll update process?

In his interview Jones claims that people who returned their forms were nonetheless removed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Tynpotwalders love the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association as they get to go on jollies or ‘fact finding’ missions. Mind you HRH The Chief Minister is all too familiar with ‘fact finding’. Some of our lot  end up as election observers in the Carribean - from one bent corrupt island to another one. Ironic really!

Edited by 2112

11 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

In his interview Jones claims that people who returned their forms were nonetheless removed.

I was one of them. I rang up the office to point it out when I found out and was told it was "too close" to the Election to be rectified (which was a week/10 days IIRC).

This was, I think, a special one off attempt at a serious updating of the Roll. Problem is, can anyone be absolutely sure that they did return the form?

There are many reasons why someone has been removed........

Not returning the form.    Why?    can't be assed/ to avoid the TV license people/ to avoid Jury duty/ moved house/ Tin Hat anti Big brother brigade member?

On moving house, are not these forms addressed to 'the Occupier' ? In which case, at their new house, they would have got a form?

On the apathy, vain hope this absolves them of some civic duty or they don't,and have no intention of voting. Is there any way to prevent this? Well, yes, it has been made illegal 'not' to return the form.

On the 20% removal figure, does this include those removed from one district but registered in another voting district?

Despite our apathy, I think that a 20% removal would have led to an even lower turnout that ever and I don't think that did happen at the last election?

Then there is the even more serious problem of the     '' Householder'/ Occupier' addressee. How many Men open this form and make a decision on behalf of all the occupiers, not to return the form? How many Wives, Children wuld like to vote but are arbitrarily removed from the list because of the Householders decision???

All over 16s should be sent an individual form for voter registration.

Possibly not as bad as is being made out?

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

I was one of them. I rang up the office to point it out when I found out and was told it was "too close" to the Election to be rectified (which was a week/10 days IIRC).

I know a few the same. It’s been a shameful abuse of power. Whether it’s deliberate or not needs to be established. Considering what Buster went down for this really needs to be investigated considering the numbers of people who basically had their right to vote unilaterally removed from them. 

• Like 1

The registration led to an increase in voters in east Douglas from the by election held a year earlier, although the constituency had changed. There was a very low turnout however.

23 minutes ago, Max Power said:

The registration led to an increase in voters in east Douglas from the by election held a year earlier, although the constituency had changed. There was a very low turnout however.

There always is in East Douglas - repeatedly the lowest percentage turnout, if memory serves.

I know it is a long time ago, but the same thing happened before the 2006 General Election. I was commissioned to investigate and report. I did. Nothing was done. Now 2006 has been repeated. Same cause, same remedies required.

It is indeed unfortunate that there is no Manx Electoral Commission. The Quayle Boundary Commission, on which I also sat, reccomended that. Tynwald accepted that part of the report in 2006, but did nothing.