Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
La Colombe

Pete Shelley...

1 hour ago, Flubbergump said:

Enjoying how many people who didn't know who he was are suddenly becoming Buzzcocks fans* on social media. 

*pretending they knew anything about him to seem relevant/in the know

Some clueless Manx Radio presenters flicking through Wikipedia right now. Which is ok I s'pose, but its when they start saying which tracks off which album influenced them to become DJs or whatever.

Never mind...

see what I did there?

40 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Some clueless Manx Radio presenters flicking through Wikipedia right now. Which is ok I s'pose, but its when they start saying which tracks off which album influenced them to become DJs or whatever.

Agree. I would add though it was the Buzzcocks 1976/1977 Spiral Scratch EP which was influential. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Agree. I would add though it was the Buzzcocks 1976/1977 Spiral Scratch EP which was influential. 

Influential in the sense that the ep, was self-released. This opened up the idea that bands in the provinces could go it alone and not have to rely on the Industry in London. That was probably punk's greatest legacy actually. 

But the musical output of the Buzzcocks (including the songs on Spiral Scratch) was also important. I bet loads of the Indie songwriters of the next generation would have had tapes of Singles Going Steady or Love Bites. The years after Punk were better because of the Pop sensibility that the Buzzcocks brought. 

• Like 1