Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Max Power

P.O Strike Begins.

2 hours ago, asitis said:

Thanks.

3 hours ago, The Central Scrutiniser said:

Walkmen out till around 1.00pm. Parcels hour or 2 later.

.....errm, our post has just been delivered.................2.40 pm!!!!!!!!..........what a service and in this weather too.......thanks to all concerned.............

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Never heard of people finishing early & going back in at overtime rates. Ever. You can go back for overtime after your normal finish time. As for Saturday, it is a normal working day, no overtime. There is a small allowance, £10 I think,  for it. That is all.

Since mechanisation, about 12 years ago, overtime has reduced to virtually nil. Much cheaper to bring in casuals on zero hours contracts.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, The Central Scrutiniser said:

Never heard of people finishing early & going back in at overtime rates. Ever. You can go back for overtime after your normal finish time. As for Saturday, it is a normal working day, no overtime. There is a small allowance, £10 I think,  for it. That is all.

Since mechanisation, about 12 years ago, overtime has reduced to virtually nil. Much cheaper to bring in casuals on zero hours contracts.

so what is your normal finish time as a postie??   years ago it was job and done, the faster you finished your round the sooner you got home.

59 minutes ago, The Central Scrutiniser said:

Fair enough, I have checked with my source who corrects me in that the Saturday payment is what is paid when on holiday or sick as you say. They seemed adamant that overtime was paid after deliveries but again mentioned that this was a few years ago and assumed that this was still happening. Happy to be corrected. 

When I first joined there were a fair few Spanish practices. Some incredibly complicated allowance payments. These have, by & large, been bought out over the years. As I said previously, I have no particular axe to grind. Just happy to put it out there as I found it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WTF said:

so what is your normal finish time as a postie??   years ago it was job and done, the faster you finished your round the sooner you got home.

They vary somewhat. Around 1.30 for most. Still job & knock. Don't forget there are no tea or meal breaks. You come in around 6.15, sort the incoming mail, set your delivery up & straight out of the door.

So, how come, with all these price cutting measures having taken place to good effect, and how come with the post offices full of people spending money on parcels to eBay and amazon and gumtree and stuff, and how come if someone there at the PO has the acumen to make these cost sitting measures, and how come even with them selling off their huge post Offices and cutting down their wags bill - so how come then that they aren't making any bloody money?  What the actual fuck are they spending it on?   I'm delighted Mr Scrutiner is posting on here. The forum needs to look after him.  We need more people like him, in the know, willing to tell the truth. This could end up being a platform for the truth, who would have thought. Anyway be nice to him.

(I've been in the pub all after noon and can't do sentences)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I imagine 3 excecs on circa 100 grand, 40 managerial grade staff, including a"wardrobe manager"  for around 200 postal grade staff is no help. Plus a dollop of sharp accounting practices to make the figures look worse than they are. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ecobob said:

So, how come, with all these price cutting measures having taken place to good effect, and how come with the post offices full of people spending money on parcels to eBay and amazon and gumtree and stuff, and how come if someone there at the PO has the acumen to make these cost sitting measures, and how come even with them selling off their huge post Offices and cutting down their wags bill - so how come then that they aren't making any bloody money?  What the actual fuck are they spending it on?   I'm delighted Mr Scrutiner is posting on here. The forum needs to look after him.  We need more people like him, in the know, willing to tell the truth. This could end up being a platform for the truth, who would have thought. Anyway be nice to him.

Somehow the Post Office missed out on the internet sales boom.

Most of our stuff in dropped off ( or thrown) by Hermes. 

The postie brings any lighter items but there must be £££££ out there for the taking.

I presume anyone using Amazon Prime gets their goods delivered by the post office though as they are promised quick delivery. Hermes are not exactly quick or good.

Having said all that, there are too many top managers on mega bucks

4 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Is that the reason then? I liked your 'thrownnby Hermes' comment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ecobob said:
6 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Is that the reason then? I liked your 'thrownnby Hermes' comment.

Yes. How to make a square box round in one easy lesson.

• Haha 1

I'd be interested to hear from The Scutineeer about where all the money is going. Not that I don't trust your opinion Dil but I'd rather have a chat with the organ grinder instead of the monkey.

34 minutes ago, ecobob said:

The only thing that confuses me is that in an Island that is surrounded by water where all our goods and services need to be flown here or brought in by boat, and where internet shopping has been the biggest transformation of the high street and consumer spending in 100 years, that after 15 years of this increasing trend in online shopping no bright spark has managed to work out how to make more money as the main logistics company bringing stuff in and out of the IOM. If John Quaye had the same strategic vision he’d probably still be running two Transits and a sack truck. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 4