Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Max Power

P.O Strike Begins.

36 minutes ago, Holte End said:

So do you have a copy of the management structure for the post office.?

If it's anything like the one for DOI Railways, it'll be one huge inverted triangle. With the postmen themselves being the point at the bottom.

Doesn't the executive currently have 3 at the top although it's actually only scaled for two?

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

No it was in the press and no one has denied it, also I have been told this is true by a postal worker.

Could you post a link but I was sure I had read somewhere that there were about 220 posties, 80 parcelforce worker and about 350 total work force at the post office.

It must be what people class as management as they seem to have changed the criteria of management in places today

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

They have 5 development managers! 

Sorry for showing my ignorance but what is a development manager,  is it the people who do the stamps ?.

Edited by Holte End

Another attack at the bottom of a public service, regardless of the fact that this one actually makes money. Seems to have become the norm on the island over the last few years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Chris C said:

Another attack at the bottom of a public service, regardless of the fact that this one actually makes money. Seems to have become the norm on the island over the last few years.

I dont think there’s much sympathy for them. The pickets were a bit of a waste of time too. Who turns up to picket on shift time? So half of them were standing there like idiots at 6:30 in the morning freezing their nuts off when everyone else was in bed. People only noticed for a few hours before they were then off playing golf or doing their second job when their shifts ended. 

• Like 1

There's not much public sympathy partly because their PR has been crap. What exactly are they striking for again? 

On 2/14/2019 at 10:48 PM, TheTeapot said:

The want more pay for less work probably. But it might be that they don't want less pay for less work. There's less work involved somewhere.

On the right tracks. They don't want less pay for more work I think is about the mark.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Holte End said:

So do you have a copy of the management structure for the post office.?

I've seen it. It's like a fat, ugly girl. Too large and not attractive. But that's not unusual in the public sector. All of the departmental structures around IOMG are exactly the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

What exactly are they striking for again? 

What do government workers always strike for? Trying to hold on to benefits and packages that we all got stopped from having 20 years ago! 

7 hours ago, Holte End said:

Could you post a link but I was sure I had read somewhere that there were about 220 posties, 80 parcelforce worker and about 350 total work force at the post office.

It must be what people class as management as they seem to have changed the criteria of management in places today

We actually had some figures in a long series of Written Questions that Hooper asked for the September 'Tynwald', in particular #75.  This showed  a total (Full Time Equivalents) of three Directors, 31 Managers and 292 Non-Management Staff (NMS).  Looking at the figures over years there looks to have been some reassignment of managers into NMS in recent times - presumably at no loss of salary etc[1].  Of the NMS, 205 were in the Mails Division, presumably both post and parcel deliverers.

So the one in four managers doesn't apply generally, but it may be true of the Corporate Division which has 12 Managers to 43 NMS plus the three Directors (who are on just under £100k each and who all appear to be the CEO).  As so often you wonder what all these people do for such a small island.  That's 18% of the operation employed as head office and that doesn't include the IMS section (which is presumably where all the Development Managers are).

[1]  Interestingly, though Hooper asked for a breakdown by grade, they didn't give it which suggests some of the NMS may still be on quite a high grade.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I see this matter is still going on: Manx Radio:  Strike action 'necessary thing to do' says union

Well I will tell them how to settle this here and now:

Make Chris Thomas* the chair of Isle of Man Post Office. Provided the Post Office people slap him on his back a lot, tell him he is very clever and keep making him smile, he will give them access to the reserves and they can have whatever they want. Some of them will receive huge pay-offs like their other friends in the Isle of Man Government employ. See - everybody is happy (except the general people of the Isle of Man but they don't have to know. Not yet)

*Other  self-interested MHKs needing their egos massaged are available

Edited by gettafa

Like so very many things it should be privatised.

• Thanks 1