Jump to content

Onchan's finest


Neil Down
 Share

Recommended Posts

I suppose it’s only to be expected at the height of a strike that things get nasty for those perceived to be on the wrong end of employer relations. But to be fair picking her up for that “lie” is hardly creating a smoking gun or a hanging offence. I’ve heard a lot of them get regular overtime and other allowances on top of the basic pay plus there will be loads who have worked there for years who have had incremental rises for 20 years or more. Also the pension contribution made by the post office as their employer. I wouldn’t have thought £33k was too far out to be honest. 

Even if it is £26k in a worst case starter scenario it’s much better than a starting teacher, nurse or police constable for having bugger all qualifications in most cases.  

Edited by thesultanofsheight
Addition of para
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Gee Cee said:

Bugger all qualifications maybe. But an excellent stepping stone to becoming an MHK.

 

In Crookall’s case most definitely they used to call him two-planks apparently. 

The management salaries would be good to see in comparison here but I dont think £33k as a average is likely to be that wrong. Loads of them will have worked there for years getting incremental increases and all the extra shifts and other little perks. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Misleading people is not an uncommon trait for Mrs Edge.

Did she not mislead the electorate of Onchan by standing for Liberal Vannin in order to secure the votes of many who support Peter Karran, only then to leave having secured those votes.

Do not be surprised then that the element of honesty and integrity are not there.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Declan said:

Including employer's pension contribution was disingenuous at best.  People will naturally compare that headline figure with how much they earned last year, not what they earned plus their employer's pension contribution. 

Most people these days in most bigger employers get a total benefit statement which confirms all that they benefit from directly as a result of their employment which includes pension contributions. Pensions are pay. That is the whole argument they are making on the post office pension changes. A change to their pension accrual terms is a change to their total remuneration. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

At least she is redeeming herself by asking questions on the big issues affecting the Island

Away with the fairies

So Dave, you will know, and have a history of sanctioning grants and spending public money in this sort of area - how much did they cost?

Edited by gettafa
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Most people these days in most bigger employers get a total benefit statement which confirms all that they benefit from directly as a result of their employment which includes pension contributions. Pensions are pay. That is the whole argument they are making on the post office pension changes. A change to their pension accrual terms is a change to their total remuneration. 

I get that, but it's about the perception. People will compare that figure to what they declared last year to the taxman, and that doesn't include the employer's pension contribution. When people say Police only earn x they're not adding on the employer's pension contribution. So it was wrong to include it in the headline amount given in Tynwald. 

Additionally, pensions aren't really pay anymore, at least up to the statutory contribution across. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Declan said:

I get that, but it's about the perception. People will compare that figure to what they declared last year to the taxman, and that doesn't include the employer's pension contribution.

It’s semantics I suppose. Your pension is part of your total employment cost and in the private sector when a business looks to cut cost it looks at its total payroll cost. That payroll cost includes the pension funded. I’m not sure what’s been said is a smoking gun or hanging offense as I said. They are costing the Post Office that amount of money per head on average and the postmen are benefitting from a pension contribution from the Post Office as part of their current remuneration package. It is still more than police, nursing and teaching starter salaries even if in a worst case scenario it’s only £26K. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It’s semantics I suppose. Your pension is part of your total employment cost and in the private sector when a business looks to cut cost it looks at its total payroll cost. That payroll cost includes the pension funded. I’m not sure what’s been said is a smoking gun or hanging offense as I said. They are costing the Post Office that amount or money per head on average and the postmen are benefiting from a pension contribution from the Post Office as part of their current remuneration package. 

Yeah, but if the figure quoted was total cost of employing a postman that would be legitimate (but would need to include employer's NI as well). 

What she actually said was "The average postal worker’s pay is £33,000 per annum". A copper on £30K isn't going to think "well I'm on £30k plus employer's pension contribution" he's going to think "I'm on less than a postman". 

 

(source: http://www.tynwald.org.im/business/hansard/20002020/t181211 RHJ.pdf line 3138)

Edited by Declan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Declan said:

Yeah, but if the figure quoted was total cost of employing a postman that would be legitimate (but would need to include employer's NI as well). 

What she actually said was "The average postal worker’s pay is £33,000 per annum". A copper on £30K isn't going to think "well I'm on £30k plus employer's pension contribution" he's going to think "I'm on less than a postman". 

Wonder which CS nonentity supplied her with that information?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...