Jump to content

Posties Driving Allowance


nelwd
 Share

Recommended Posts

It's easypeasy. All postmen on a 6 day week, which is virtually all of them, work 43.5 hours. Some European working hours directive meant we only should work 35. So, other than chop a day of the weekly delivery, which at the time, the Universal Service obligation meant we couldn't, PO had to find another way. Hence the system of a lieu week every 6. Lets be clear. They are not getting something for nothing. The time off has already been worked for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, The Central Scrutiniser said:

It's easypeasy. All postmen on a 6 day week, which is virtually all of them, work 43.5 hours. Some European working hours directive meant we only should work 35. So, other than chop a day of the weekly delivery, which at the time, the Universal Service obligation meant we couldn't, PO had to find another way. Hence the system of a lieu week every 6. Lets be clear. They are not getting something for nothing. The time off has already been worked for.

You should have guessed by now that on this forum, facts get in the way of a good rant by the pitchfork wielders...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, The Central Scrutiniser said:

It's easypeasy. All postmen on a 6 day week, which is virtually all of them, work 43.5 hours. Some European working hours directive meant we only should work 35. So, other than chop a day of the weekly delivery, which at the time, the Universal Service obligation meant we couldn't, PO had to find another way. Hence the system of a lieu week every 6. Lets be clear. They are not getting something for nothing. The time off has already been worked for.

Right. That explains it. Thanks!

And I presume that as they want to reduce to a 5 day week, they will only need to work for the 35 hours a week, so won't get their lieu week every 6 weeks?

Am I right in thinking though, that there are more postmen than are needed to cover for those who are on leave? If they get rid of the week off every 6 weeks, and just have to cover normal "annual leave", then can they do with fewer postmen?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

I did hear on the glorious nation's station though, that posties were banned from discussing any of this via social media. Seems a bit unfair to me.

A fairly standard  'management ' contractural  requirement, at least it was when I worked in LG.

 

:flowers:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, andrew said:

Right. That explains it. Thanks!

And I presume that as they want to reduce to a 5 day week, they will only need to work for the 35 hours a week, so won't get their lieu week every 6 weeks?

Am I right in thinking though, that there are more postmen than are needed to cover for those who are on leave? If they get rid of the week off every 6 weeks, and just have to cover normal "annual leave", then can they do with fewer postmen?

Exactly. A lot of redundancies on the horizon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, andrew said:

Unless you are a postman or have in depth knowledge, then there is little information out there about what a Postman currently earns/benefits/hours/overtime/hours worked etc, verses under the new proposals.

Absolutely. And why do you think that is? It's like the recent bus dispute. The management publicised at every opportunity the fact that drivers were getting paid for their dinner hour without any context whatsoever.  They were less forthcoming with the fact that the drivers had agreed to the 12% wage cut they were suggesting, as long as it were similarly applied across the board in the dept. 

Says it all really. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, andrew said:

Right. That explains it. Thanks!

And I presume that as they want to reduce to a 5 day week, they will only need to work for the 35 hours a week, so won't get their lieu week every 6 weeks?

Am I right in thinking though, that there are more postmen than are needed to cover for those who are on leave? If they get rid of the week off every 6 weeks, and just have to cover normal "annual leave", then can they do with fewer postmen?

or, they could work a rota system where the posties deliver 6 days a week but no postie does more than 5 days and 35 hours a week.   i suspect that posties like what is effectively flexitime at the moment that gets them quite a few weeks off work a year.  given the choice i suspect quite a few people would work 50 hour weeks to get 4 months off a year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Chris C said:

Absolutely. And why do you think that is? It's like the recent bus dispute. The management publicised at every opportunity the fact that drivers were getting paid for their dinner hour without any context whatsoever.  They were less forthcoming with the fact that the drivers had agreed to the 12% wage cut they were suggesting, as long as it were similarly applied across the board in the dept. 

Says it all really. 

 

It hasn’t done Longworths career any harm (sadly). If the government doesn’t set out to win in these situations it just sends out the wrong message to the unions. From what Pullinger has said he seems surprised that they couldn’t just go to arbitration on this and get what they wanted. Well when was that ever going to happen? If the PO had acted like a pushover they’d be back threatening to go back out this time next year and get more concessions. 

Its a competition at the end of the day and you dont fanny about conceding ground if you want to win. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So if they get rid of the Saturday letter delivery which I can’t see any benefit in (apart from maybe once a year if your birthday falls at a weekend and you are expecting lots of cards), then at weekends they would just need postmen to do the parcel deliveries on Saturday to residential properties (as most offices are closed on Saturdays).

Based on retirement, I wonder what the headcount loss will be over the next few years. Just stop recruiting them??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, The Central Scrutiniser said:

Exactly. A lot of redundancies on the horizon.

Around 16%...?

The bit I don't get is the rise in online shopping should mean more biz for the posties.

But it hasn't worked out like that.

Sure Mr/Mrs Hermes is probably on minimum wage / zero hours but even so...

Now the folks doing the rounds aren't responsible foe new business, strategy, meeting and matching new opportunities etc etc.

So why are they being made to suffer for the failings of others...?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, P.K. said:

Around 16%...?

The bit I don't get is the rise in online shopping should mean more biz for the posties.

But it hasn't worked out like that.

Sure Mr/Mrs Hermes is probably on minimum wage / zero hours but even so...

Now the folks doing the rounds aren't responsible foe new business, strategy, meeting and matching new opportunities etc etc.

So why are they being made to suffer for the failings of others...?

Standard government practice. Leave the system top heavy and get rid of those that actually work

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, P.K. said:

Around 16%...?

The bit I don't get is the rise in online shopping should mean more biz for the posties.

But it hasn't worked out like that.

Sure Mr/Mrs Hermes is probably on minimum wage / zero hours but even so...

Now the folks doing the rounds aren't responsible foe new business, strategy, meeting and matching new opportunities etc etc.

So why are they being made to suffer for the failings of others...?

take a look at the CVs of the top management and you'll soon see why.

I've just read through the bios of each of the "Team" not one single person has any experience in supply chain management (for that think Amazon and all the other fulfillment and direct B2C 'catalogue' companies). Lot's of change management and traditional PO operations experience. So it shouldn't come as a surprise (if TCS is correct, and I think he is) that they have lost out in 30 odd tender bids recently.

IOMPO should be the "go-to" organisation for anything remotely to do with delivery of parcels. Manx Independent and the local hauliers must be laughing their heads off at IOMPO dithering.

I don't think I have ever seen an organisation the size (by turnover) of IOMPO with 4 x Business Development Managers! WTF do these people do all day??

The Board need to start at the top and start asking these people... "what exactly is it you do all day?" 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, andrew said:

So if they get rid of the Saturday letter delivery which I can’t see any benefit in (apart from maybe once a year if your birthday falls at a weekend and you are expecting lots of cards), then at weekends they would just need postmen to do the parcel deliveries on Saturday to residential properties (as most offices are closed on Saturdays).

Based on retirement, I wonder what the headcount loss will be over the next few years. Just stop recruiting them??

It would be better to get rid of one of the Monday to Friday deliveries. Saturday is useful because you can order stuff during the week to use at the weekend. Plus people are in. If there's no delivery then you wait to Monday or more likely Tuesday because you'll have to collect from the Post Office. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Plenty of businesses rely on Saturday deliveries. Say your car's in the garage waiting for a part and you're screaming for it. Saturday post delivery might see you get it back by Saturday dinnertime in time for the rest of the weekend. Otherwise it's Monday or later.

As posted before this is a regressive cut to an established public service and the come-to-be-expected cuts to the coalfacers.

If there's really 4 Business Development Managers in post somebody wants to be asking them exactly what it is that they're actually developing. Other than their bank accounts and pensions.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...