Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Gee Cee

Cathedral CCTV

What a sad indictment of the times that we live in - The Cathedral has had to install CCTV to try and combat the frequent attacks by vandals.

It never used to be like this in the days of the birch.

20 minutes ago, Gee Cee said:

What a sad indictment of the times that we live in - The Cathedral has had to install CCTV to try and combat the frequent attacks by vandals.

It never used to be like this in the days of the birch.

Indeed, Vandalism was invented shortly after birching was banned and there are no recorded occurances of it before then.

• Haha 2

During the birch era vandals burned down Summerland, killing 50 people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Churches were a place of worship that were left open 24 hours a day.

The first serious case of damage and theft in recent years was in Castletown about 20 years ago. Youths were seen in the area at the time. The little shits will likely be proud parents and gandparents by now.

Friends across had their church panelling stripped one night. A white van was seen in the vicinity.

It is a sign of the times though. I suppose years ago even gypos would respect the church.

These days people makes jokes about 'the invisible man in the sky', which rather misses the point and only demonstrates their misunderstanding of what religion and respect is.

4 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Churches were a place of worship that were left open 24 hours a day.

The first serious case of damage and theft in recent years was in Castletown about 20 years ago. Youths were seen in the area at the time. The little shits will likely be proud parents and gandparents by now.

Friends across had their church panelling stripped one night. A white van was seen in the vicinity.

It is a sign of the times though. I suppose years ago even gypos would respect the church.

These days people makes jokes about 'the invisible man in the sky', which rather misses the point and only demonstrates their misunderstanding of what religion and respect is.

Blimey, with such iron cast substantial evidence like that I am surprised they weren't given the firing squad and their ashes cast into the Mariana Trench.

• Haha 1

It is disgusting and unforgivable to vandalise any property or vehicles, unfortunately how often do you see anyone being prosecuted for these so called minor crimes, they are not minor to the people whose cars or property has been attacked.   And sometimes these people do get caught but let off with a caution.   If these little horrors are too young to prosecute go for the parents, make them pay those kids are their responsibility and perhaps they would control them with more enthusiasm.   When I was young I do not remember kids wandering around in packs.   Perhaps it is time we had a Borstal and used it the soft approach is not working.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIchard Britten said:

Indeed, Vandalism was invented shortly after birching was banned and there are no recorded occurances of it before then.

No but the birch made sure the muppets thought twice before vandalising other people's property

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Declan said:

During the birch era vandals burned down Summerland, killing 50 people. 

In the world of incorrect facts, you are indeed the king. It wasn't vandals but three boys smoking in a hut. However, don't let the facts get in the way of your flippant commenting

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

No but the birch made sure the muppets thought twice before vandalising other people's property

As I am sure JW will correct you with his extensive research, recidivism was a lot higher than your rose tinteds led you to believe.

1 minute ago, RIchard Britten said:

As I am sure JW will correct you with his extensive research, recidivism was a lot higher than your rose tinteds led you to believe.

I await some factual evidence then...

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

In the world of incorrect facts, you are indeed the king. It wasn't vandals but three boys smoking in a hut. However, don't let the facts get in the way of your flippant commenting

They broke the lock to get into the hut. 

• Thanks 1