Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
doc.fixit

Fairy tales?

And won't be fitted properly...

11 hours ago, quilp said:

Extra costs? The article doesn't state who is paying for this maintenance. Nor whether it's part of the overwhelming amount spent in the first instance. Who's away with the faeries? 

I wonder if the quality control officer looked at the building before purchase and how long was the period of

cover for defects and maintenance was given.

Also if a 5% retention is still being held by Government.

• Haha 3

It'll be all due to excessive wear and tear. Very few domestic properties are designed for 30+ Tynwalders residing with the fairies full time.

• Haha 4

I think I have found the mistake made by DfE on their calculations in the cost study of the fairy houses.

Mr Skelly stated "Should the Department have paid for such media coverage, it is estimated it would have cost £367,570 ;

therefore the return of investment is 14 times the cost of this initiative."

What he forgot this is an imaginary number which is i2= -1, but as they have squared the

answer it should be bi is -b2. which would make the real number  - £443,556.00

On 1/18/2019 at 10:54 AM, Holte End said:

I wonder if the quality control officer looked at the building before purchase and how long was the period of

cover for defects and maintenance was given.

Also if a 5% retention is still being held by Government.

In fact, did DfE apply for Planning Permission?

• Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 11:09 AM, Non-Believer said:

It'll be all due to excessive wear and tear. Very few domestic properties are designed for 30+ Tynwalders residing with the fairies full time.

I think they should build little houses in the woods for Legco members and turn them into a tourist attraction. You could perhaps see Bill Henderson waving from his little fairy shed down on the railway lines and take a selfie with him tnat you could upload to give most valued publicity for Visit IOM. It’s about the most they would do for their £50K a year if it happened! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If they were made here from local materials, by men in sheds, local craft artists etc, it would have been cheaper and generated far more positive publicity, due to the pride in the local involvement and heritage.

The fact it was outsourced at a ridiculous cost just tarnishes the whole project, and has lead to its subsequent criticism x

• Like 6

On 12/18/2018 at 7:17 PM, doc.fixit said:

..................and how exactly has/will/does this supposed advertisement benefit us in concrete terms?.............(see what I did there?).....However, I really would like to see proven, tangible benefits................

Hopefully Skello will put everything in perspective tomorrow. Question to be asked in the House. 

_20190610_142201.JPG

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

About 6.495million specific visits  with the sole purpose of visiting the slightly weather worn/vandalised fairy houses.

Such sightings/visits can easily be assessed by completely making a number up.

Can I have a job at DfE?

Edited by b4mbi
  • Haha 2

I suspect more, higher quality + cheaper publicity was obtained by the 30min programme on R4 on the 9th June - Tongue and Talk: The Dialect Poets—Episode 2 - Isle of Man -
a good into + coverage [ https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0005t0g ]

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, quilp said:

Hopefully Skello will put everything in perspective tomorrow. Question to be asked in the House. 

_20190610_142201.JPG

That's a braindead question. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Lets not forget its saved millions in Health Care due to the number of parents and grandparents that have forced to go out looking for them on a wet and windy Sunday who are now amongst the fittest people in the British Isles.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Declan said:

That's a braindead question. 

True, unless anyone is handed a form on the boat or plane and they tick a box that says “I’m here to visit the fairy houses” how the heck would anyone know? 

• Like 2

No doubt RC will remind us again how important he is before waffling on about the benefits to the island these fairy houses have brought

• Haha 1