Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
doc.fixit

Fairy tales?

A highly qualified relative works here in the financial world in the private sector, he doesn't read the forums but I sent him a link to this thread for his opinion. 

He said "they are all licking the windows "   LOL 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, asitis said:

A highly qualified relative works here in the financial world in the private sector, he doesn't read the forums but I sent him a link to this thread for his opinion. 

He said "they are all licking the windows "   LOL 

was he referring to LC or government?

It was the unfortunate, to say the least that the fairy house story came out at the same time as the rise in social property rents.    Whilst some people may have a good deal living in social housing there are some of the properties that are below standard the outsides of some in Willaston are really shabby.

God, you lot love to moan. Why can't people just be happy about these new fairy houses? I think they are beautiful and I am currently working on a machine to shrink myself to be able to live in one of them.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

.............not moaning, just failing to understand the lies and bullshit that we pay for........

I think they’re a good idea BUT FFS they are six and a half grand each. You’re not telling me that they couldn’t have gone to a local tradesman or the workshop for the disabled or something nd got them done for a few hundred quid? It’s a complete piss take to be honest when we’re closing hospital beds and people are DYING waiting for bowel cancer screening. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Manufactured in Sweden. The company usually makes little homes for mice (sic) but when they heard about our 'little people' they were inspired.

An off island company has an idea that may benefit the Island's tourist industry. They contact the Tourist Board. The Tourist Board like the idea and go with it. Should they take that idea and get a local supplier or a charity or school kids on "work experience" to do it?

Edited by Declan

30 minutes ago, Declan said:

An off island company has an idea that may benefit the Island's tourist industry. They contact the Tourist Board. The Tourist Board like the idea and go with it. Should they take that idea and get a local supplier or a charity or school kids on "work experience" to do it?

They got paid £26K for a couple of hundred quids worth of plastic houses. They were hardly doing us the favor of the century were they? This is where it all enters into the realms of fantasy to justify outrageous spend on frippery. I saw a rumor on Facebook this morning that there was allegedly no formal procurement process either. So someone perhaps just decided to spunk £26K on it all for a laugh ..... because they could because there is no budget control, oversight, or financial discipline and £26K had to be spent before it had to be removed from next years budget. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1

El skell was on the glorious nations station this morning rather passing the buck and saying it was a cabinet office decision, not really down to him. Even helpfully put chris thomas's name forward as a human shield

• Haha 2

It could speak volumes about

a) the level of desperation for revenue that we've reached that we've resorted to building fairy houses to try and attract some sort of income and

b) the paucity and level of political thinking that deemed this as a viable revenue possibility without any firm evidence or figures to confirm it.

Or perhaps the La La Land thinking is that if we build them, the fairies will come in order to reside in them. Bringing some fairytale finances with them. Some of our Govt will feel very at home with that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

An email reply from a Yasha Mousekewitz, a representative of the manufacturers: Anonymouse MMX, tells me that these fairy houses are produced by a collective of street-artists in Malmo, Sweden. They have no catalogue or price list and do not mass-produce these items for sale, which may reflect in the price tag as they take around 4 months to produce.

Still, there is a wealth of local talent which could've been involved in producing an equivalent at a fraction of the cost.

Did anyone in procurement think of asking around? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

It was the unfortunate, to say the least that the fairy house story came out at the same time as the rise in social property rents.    Whilst some people may have a good deal living in social housing there are some of the properties that are below standard the outsides of some in Willaston are really shabby.

just because you rent somewhere doesn't mean you can't clean the place and keep it tidy.

• Like 1