Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Shake me up Judy

What an advert for the IOM

Just opened the Christmas week issue of the Courier. What a wonderful first few pages it is. Drink drivers, cars on roofs, group sex, court news. Who edits the Courier ? It's pointless spending tax-payers millions to advertise the place with fairy houses and bullshit, when the local free rag is hanging out the dirty laundry on its front and opening pages. This sort of stuff shouldn't be at the front of the paper for visitors, new residents, kids and yer granny to read. What a picture it paints - and at Christmas too. Someone needs to have a word with them down at Peel Road.

Much prefer it when the newspaper has stories about  fluffy Manx kittens, and rose-tinted spectacles.

• Like 1

It could give away rose tinted spectacles, like a comic giving away 3d glasses. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Did they give an address for the group sex. Asking for a friend

• Like 1
  • Haha 12
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Did they give an address for the group sex. Asking for a friend

Beat me to that one by 4 minutes Neil...see you there.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Declan said:

It could give away rose tinted spectacles, like a comic giving away 3d glasses. 

You obviously don't get it Declan. Surprisingly, there's plenty of real news to report (you won't find it here though) without plastering the front and opening pages with this sort of stuff. It's just cynical advertising bait of the lowest kind.

Make those spectacles brown tinted -  they'd look good on you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

I wasn't aware the Courier was sold off-island.

It's not, hence why the OP mentioned the following groups of people:-

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Just opened the Christmas week issue of the Courier. What a wonderful first few pages it is. Drink drivers, cars on roofs, group sex, court news. Who edits the Courier ? It's pointless spending tax-payers millions to advertise the place with fairy houses and bullshit, when the local free rag is hanging out the dirty laundry on its front and opening pages. This sort of stuff shouldn't be at the front of the paper for visitors, new residents, kids and yer granny to read. What a picture it paints - and at Christmas too. Someone needs to have a word with them down at Peel Road.

P.s. it's not sold here either

23 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

I wasn't aware the Courier was sold off-island.

Somewhat unbelievably the DfE give away free local newspapers when they do the UK roadshows so that people can see what life in the IOM is like :lol: Seriously they do as I’ve seen them do it. So if you fancy some group sex and fraud relocation is clearly for you! 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Confused 1

I thought  perhaps Dandara were using a Fairy House theme for their advert on page 5 until I saw Hartford Homes on page 15:

Dandara Hartford 01.jpg

Incidentlly, the Fairy Houses take 4 months to build. Which is about how long Dandara-Hartford take for a 'real' house.

Edited by gettafa

45 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I thought  perhaps Dandara were using a Fairy House theme for their advert on page 5 until I saw Hartford Homes on page 15:

Dandara Hartford 01.jpg

Incidentlly, the Fairy Houses take 4 months to build. Which is about how long Dandara-Hartford take for a 'real' house.

You must have got one of the better houses then...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

But most of what appears as 'news' in the Courier has always been the sort of court case reporting you refer to, plus the usual charity-related stuff with photos of lots of people in a line looking awkward.  Anything that required in depth reporting or more skilful writing will be saved for the paid-for papers.

And it's exactly the same with free newspapers all over the UK as well, so anyone from elsewhere will feel right at home.  Any new resident who ever imagined that the Isle of Man was some sort of paradise where no one ever misbehaved would already be so deluded that they are almost certainly working for IOMG in the first place.  

• Like 2

Just now, Roger Mexico said:

But most of what appears as 'news' in the Courier has always been the sort of court case reporting you refer to, plus the usual charity-related stuff with photos of lots of people in a line looking awkward.  Anything that required in depth reporting or more skilful writing will be saved for the paid-for papers.

And it's exactly the same with free newspapers all over the UK as well, so anyone from elsewhere will feel right at home.  Any new resident who ever imagined that the Isle of Man was some sort of paradise where no one ever misbehaved would already be so deluded that they are almost certainly working for IOMG in the first place.  

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha you're not from the Island then.

• Haha 3