Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
gettafa

Black Eyed Friday

Well that's another one done and dusted:

Busy Black Eye Friday for Police

I agree with Robert McAleer when he suggested that the naming of the Friday before Christmas is a recent phenomenon.

Busy and boozy Black Eye Friday is back

I had never heard it named until 20 years ago, when I heard it referred to by a policeman, and then of course it got its annual outing on Manx Radio, and then it's part of the vocabulary. Like that Black Friday thing where couch potatoes tear themselves away from Jeremy Kyle to go do some shopping.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I had never heard it named until 20 years ago, when I heard it referred to by a policeman, and then of course it got its annual outing on Manx Radio, and then it's part of the vocabulary. Like that Black Friday thing where couch potatoes tear themselves away from Jeremy Kyle to go do some shopping.

It seems to have originated with the police a bit over a decade ago.  The earliest reference Wiki has (though the current article is poor) has is from 2007.  It probably derives from the idea of Black Friday sales, which was imported from the US about this time.

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

It seems to have originated with the police a bit over a decade ago.  The earliest reference Wiki has (though the current article is poor) has is from 2007.  It probably derives from the idea of Black Friday sales, which was imported from the US about this time.

Well before that. Over 20 years for a fact

• Like 1

I went along with Marty Downey and his employees to the Lancashire on their Friday payday before Christmas, so that’s 30+ years ago.

It was referred to as black eyed Friday by them. Maybe Irish Origins?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That would have been a change from the downstairs bar at The Prospect on a Friday. All the workers, with a pint and the weeks pay in their hand made for a good start to every Friday night.

Edited by gettafa

its older than the internet, the building trade have called it that for 30+ years, before that it was used in relation to miners going up' ta town with xmas bonuses......

it feels like it's moved from builders finsihing at lunch to office workers taking an afternoon off

orange is the new black eyed friday

• Like 1

In the mid 90's when the island was booming and Black Eye Friday was at it's peak, the island was buzzing with many thousands of building workers earning fantastic money.

They worked hard and played hard . On the taxis, you could not help but make good money and nights like BEF, Easter, TT etc. were like the goldrush.

Those days are sadly history now and every event or "big day" is only a shadow of it's former self. 

Black Eye Friday is just a name now and means nothing

Edited by dilligaf

14 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

In the mid 90's when the island was booming and Black Eye Friday was at it's peak, the island was buzzing with many thousands of building workers earning fantastic money.

They worked hard and played hard . On the taxis, you could not help but make good money and nights like BEF, Easter, TT etc. were like the goldrush.

Those days are sadly history now and every event or "big day" is only a shadow of it's former self. 

Au contraire oh miserable one, the beauty of last night is that Douglas was buzzing with all types of people of all different ages and all walks of life.

2 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:
19 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Au contraire oh miserable one, the beauty of last night is that Douglas was buzzing with all types of people of all different ages and all walks of life.

Well you missed my point by a million miles. Never mind eh ?

5 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Well you missed my point by a million miles. Never mind eh ?

No, it is you whom has missed the point.

• Like 1