Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
gettafa

Black Eyed Friday

I was out and about last night. Good atmosphere in the pubs I went in, no hint of agro. Perhaps we should rename it? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I was out and about last night. Good atmosphere in the pubs I went in, no hint of agro. Perhaps we should rename it? 

Just call it "Friday night"

That is how it always was all year round for decades, until the prices rose and it became cheaper to have house parties for a lot less ££££, then head to the club for the last 2 or 3 hours

Now it is only special nights when the place is alive.

Edited by dilligaf

23 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Just call it "Friday night"

That is how it always was all year round for decades, until the prices rose and it became cheaper to have house parties for a lot less ££££, then head to the club for the last 2 or 3 hours

Now it is only special nights when the place is alive.

Exactly Dilli, testified by the fact we're all posting on here on the Saturday before  Christmas!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

In the mid 90's when the island was booming and Black Eye Friday was at it's peak, the island was buzzing with many thousands of building workers earning fantastic money.

They worked hard and played hard . On the taxis, you could not help but make good money and nights like BEF, Easter, TT etc. were like the goldrush.

Those days are sadly history now and every event or "big day" is only a shadow of it's former self. 

Black Eye Friday is just a name now and means nothing

And you can get the bus home now without having to be dry raped by the taxi drivers anymore. Which really riles Dilli. 

• Haha 1

As a hardened (sort of!) pub goer - It was booming well beyond the mid nineties. Abd pubs were always busy long before that.

But the Millennium New Year's Eve when H&B closed most of their pubs set the rot in. Then the credit crunch hit 2008ish. Around the same time, the smoking ban for those who wish to self combust.

Been downhill ever since IMHO, aided and abetted by H&B's pricing structure.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Gizo said:

And you can get the bus home now without having to be dry raped by the taxi drivers anymore. Which really riles Dilli. 

Believe me it does not rile me.

The taxi fares have been far too high for far too long.

I often turned the meter off ( and was lambasted for it ) well before destination because it was so embarrassing to ask for what would be on it.

I/we have been ripped off many times since I stopped driving.

One that sticks in my mind was the driver who went the longest possible way from the first to the second pick up, then to the boat. 2.5 miles, 4 people £9.50 and he expected a tip.

I told him that run would have been just over half of that and he went red.

Dick Turpin lives, believe me.

Just now, Terminal said:

Taxi prices are ridiculous. It’s no wonder people drink and drive. 

Totally agree. Closed shops are not right.

24 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Believe me it does not rile me.

The taxi fares have been far too high for far too long.

I often turned the meter off ( and was lambasted for it ) well before destination because it was so embarrassing to ask for what would be on it.

I/we have been ripped off many times since I stopped driving.

One that sticks in my mind was the driver who went the longest possible way from the first to the second pick up, then to the boat. 2.5 miles, 4 people £9.50 and he expected a tip.

I told him that run would have been just over half of that and he went red.

Dick Turpin lives, believe me.

I've experienced many long runs where the driver radioed in to say he was having his break turned the meter off then still ripped me off!

5 minutes ago, finlo said:

I've experienced many long runs where the driver radioed in to say he was having his break turned the meter off then still ripped me off!

Problem is the taxis are transporting comatose wrecks, of course they are going to rip you off, its what you deserve, just be grateful they didn't tell you they bummed you in the break.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, finlo said:

I always encouraged people to report any ripping off to the RTLC. I reported a few things myself because the punter would not.

CB, You just have to be the sickest and most ignorant poster on here. I hope you are proud.

Edited by dilligaf

8 minutes ago, CharlieBrown said:

Problem is the taxis are transporting comatose wrecks, of course they are going to rip you off, its what you deserve, just be grateful they didn't tell you they bummed you in the break.

Knob head taxi driver!

Just now, dilligaf said:

You just have to be the sickest and most ignorant poster on here. I hope you are proud.

Thats your own post you are responding to?