Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
TheTeapot

FOI nonsense

6 minutes ago, asitis said:

Cash buys a lot of silence, until we solve the power the Chief Minister holds over members renumeration, there will never be searching questions asked !

it's two separate matters - difference between politicians and civil servants

19 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

He's an interesting article from Manx Radio, the DoI and Bus Vannin being full of themselves and refusing to talk to Castletown commissioners about the redesign of the bus stops in the square. For CC to have even had to try a FOI request suggests that the lines of communication must have been appalling for some time. Just what is going on?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/castletown-bus-stop-foi-rejected-by-government/

I understand the Commissioners concern because Longworth tried secretly pushing C/town Sq to be “Buses Only”, to make it easier for Bendy Buses when BV was part of the DCCL.

He had a slap on his wrist from the then Head of Highways, who ridiculed IL’s business case to Tynwald.

The guy has previous so C/town Comms are wise to be cautious.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, asitis said:

Cash buys a lot of silence, until we solve the power the Chief Minister holds over members renumeration, there will never be searching questions asked !

Exactly

The Comin system has a lot to answer for. And, do we reallty need a Cabinet Office, other than to massage cerrtain persons egos?

• Like 1

On 12/22/2018 at 4:34 PM, Gee Cee said:

As the Island is so small, you have to wonder why we need local authorities, in addition to central government.

Getting rid of the local authorities would solve the problem. It would also solve the housing waiting list problem, the sacking of the town clerks problem, and a great many other problems as well.

I think I'd prefer to give central government a good pruning and keep the local authorities. I know that course of action would save much more money.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Kopek said:

Surely this is an illustration of of why a ''third party'' is required to challenge Central Govt?

If the DoI and Bus Vannin ( who are part of DoI ) are conspiring to withhold information that the local representatives are trying glean so that they can make a decision on behalf of the 'Local' population then this shows that Big Brother, 'We know best', central Govt can stiffle debate that others may wish open up.

Imagine if the DoI were to put Double Yellows outside 'Your' house and refuse to debate the reasoning behind their decision!!!

Abso-blinking-lutely. They are a law unto themselves even now. Imagine how it would be with no local authorities getting in the way of "progress".

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, woolley said:

I think I'd prefer to give central government a good pruning and keep the local authorities. I know that course of action would save much more money.

Agreed - tho' the regional authorities could be combined to ensure vested interest do not get too big a say

Just now, Donald Trumps said:

Agreed - tho' the regional authorities could be combined to ensure vested interest do not get too big a say

Yes. You read my mind there as I almost included that point. The Garff initiative seems like a good blueprint - small units joining forces and working together. We would have to be very vigilant to ensure that we didn't finish up with 5 Douglas corpy clones and yet more bureaucracy though. The beauty of many of the local authorities is their very simplicity and the volunteer effort that goes into them with minimal cost and waste.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Yes I was only think of 2, max 3 rural authorities combining their works

Another Douglas Council is THE thing to avoid

It's pretty mental that we have have Port Erin, Port St Mary, Rushen, Arbory, Castletown and Malew commissioners down south. Sure there could easily only be one lot, maybe two if we have to. The situation on the new estate at the edge of Port Erin is a prime example of the utter stupidity of it all.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It's pretty mental that we have have Port Erin, Port St Mary, Rushen, Arbory, Castletown and Malew commissioners down south. Sure there could easily only be one lot, maybe two if we have to. The situation on the new estate at the edge of Port Erin is a prime example of the utter stupidity of it all.

Ivory tower's and all that.

I did hear that there is a large smell about to break, talked about in the same terms as the MEA fiasco involving much of which is being talked about above ! 

It was told to me by a serious person in a serious way who knows ( I don't)  but wouldn't altogether surprise me !

• Like 1