Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
asitis

I'll check if it's daylight !

Why do they allow such bollocks in these press releases. "The same period from 2013 the visitor spend which has increased by 23%" 

The person who comes up with these figures I guessing (Like he does) is the person who stated the fairy houses advertising figures.

I want that job obviously it will mean a University degree in Mechanical Mathematical Hypothesis stating to the stupid.                                      

But I could easily make that visitor spend over 200% just by using a cup of coffee in Douglas cost in 2013  £1.00 now a coffee cost

over £3.00 therefore the average visitors spend has increased by over 200%  well done Mr Skelly and Mr Callister

keep the good work up. 

Edited by Holte End
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, asitis said:

Why wouldn't I trust a word this guy says ! I do wonder how much the silence of vision 9 and others has cost the taxpayers ?!

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=44665&headline=We're confident of growth in tourism%2C minister tells House of Keys&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2018

You can see from the comments what people think of Skelly and the DfE. I’m still baffled as to why he still has a job as the Minister in the DfE. Between him and the other departmental cock-womble no wonder our tourist sector is in such a mess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I’m still baffled as to why he still has a job as the Minister...

In what way is this sentiment unique to Skelly?

• Thanks 6
  • Haha 2

There’s nothing like a joined up government. And this is nothing like a joined up government

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

If a Government can con over £200million a year from the UK Treasury in VAT overpayment to distribute between their mates and their employees in the civil service in inflated wages and pension bonanza payouts, then it can easily keep the rest of us happy by pretending everything is going to be ok for the future.

/cue Lonan3's picture of a man relaxing on a deckchair dreaming about all the money he got out of the Isle of Man

• Like 1

Skelly might be the lesser concern. How much belief in it by how many people and how much in salaries and employment costs to contrive this guff and lay it before Skelly for delivery?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

You can see from the comments what people think of Skelly and the DfE. I’m still baffled as to why he still has a job as the Minister in the DfE. Between him and the other departmental cock-womble no wonder our tourist sector is in such a mess. 

The reason why Skelly has a job is very simple - he does what he's told.  The only requirement to be a Minister in Quayle's government is obedience to their civil service masters.  We saw that with the dismissal of Beecroft - whether you agree with her or not, she was prepared to challenge her CEO and so had to go.

Even understanding what is happening or being convincing communicating it is an optional extra for Manx Ministers, as we see with Skelly (and indeed Quayle).  They can read out the answers written out for them without apparently knowing what they mean or what all those words mean or realising that it makes no sense.  Take this example from the answer Skelly gave in the Keys discussed here when Edge asked What contingency plans he has to ensure that the decline in tourism figures over the last two years does not continue?:

The creation of a dedicated Visit Isle of Man Executive Agency, whose purpose it is to realise the fullest economic growth potential as a visitor destination will lead the charge of focusing our tourism and leisure visitors. This public-private partnership is already well underway and looking at product development as well as new ideas for targeted promotion, building on the work the Department has historically undertaken, such as the launch of the Extraordinary Story earlier this year. The mixture of promotion, of product development as well as policy input will be hugely important in growing our visitor numbers and visitor spend.

This motorway car-crash of buzzwords doesn't even make grammatical (or any other sort of) sense, but that doesn't matter to Skelly or those who write such rubbish.  And of course the 'solution' is a perfect one because it translates as "We will employ even more highly paid civil servants who don't actually do anything except have meetings and spout jargon" while reorganising the Department yet again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I have quite a bit of sympathy for Laurence Skelly and indeed his department. Despite everything they will try to achieve, they are facing a hugely uphill struggle in trying to sell the IoM to businesses and visitors in large numbers. The resources which they do have are spread very thinly, even though we think that the £50m enterprise fund is a huge amount of money, when spread across a number of companies it doesn't compete with what they can achieve from proactive councils in the North of England. The relocation and workforce issues are easier there too.

When it comes to tourism they are hindered by the costs and inconvenience of getting here when compared to what we offer. I'm a firm believer that we should concentrate our efforts in reducing costs and inconvenience whilst improving what we offer to locals and tourists alike, create a vibrant community which appeals to younger people. That way we become a more appealing place to live, work and visit. We now have some control over the SPCo now, the newly appointed government directors should be bringing a balance to the board by ensuring that there is a cost effective service which allows locals and visitors alike to travel economically!  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Max Power said:

When it comes to tourism they are hindered by the costs and inconvenience of getting here when compared to what we offer. I'm a firm believer that we should concentrate our efforts in reducing costs and inconvenience whilst improving what we offer to locals and tourists alike, create a vibrant community which appeals to younger people. That way we become a more appealing place to live, work and visit. We now have some control over the SPCo now, the newly appointed government directors should be bringing a balance to the board by ensuring that there is a cost effective service which allows locals and visitors alike to travel economically!  

I think they should switch the seacat timetables around a couple of times during the summer months and advertise it heavily in the North West to give an opportunity for day or weekend trips. Bet it would do pretty well.

• Thanks 2

The passenger survey, issued in March, showed claimed that total visitors dropped 8.9% in 2017 from 292,328 to 266,850 - the lowest figure in a quarter of a century.

The figures will continue to drop simply for demographic reasons. This is to be expected. This reduction will be factored out by an increased focus on sporting events. The Department in question should just try being honest and cast it in a positive light, instead of outright spinning bollocks.

The Cabinet Office figures citing a 8.9% drop in 2017 will be the more reliable figure. If you think back to 2017 and look at worldwide economic patterns, you can see why.

• Like 1

When it’s over £700 to travel with a car for a family to the iom for a week I’m not surprised people look elsewhere or holiday within the UK. 

I cant see the state owned racket reducing these fares anytime soon and undoubtedly will in turn increase fares off the island. Another stealth tax. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Gizo said:

When it’s over £700 to travel with a car for a family to the iom for a week I’m not surprised people look elsewhere or holiday within the UK. 

I cant see the state owned racket reducing these fares anytime soon and undoubtedly will in turn increase fares off the island. Another stealth tax. 

Fares will go up. They clearly can’t wait to buy new boats. They love the multi million pound procurement of overblown assets. It looks good on their CVs. 

• Like 1

It is just the IoM's very own PS pension funding operation. The way out that they were hoping would come their way. It will be milked and, by implication, the SP travellers bled white. Presumably making travel, particularly to the Island, less attractive.

The contradiction, of course, is Skelly's mob promising wonderous increases in tourism.

Merely confirming that they're all talking out of their rectums and lying through their teeth.

Edited by Non-Believer
  • Like 2