Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

Disconnect between young voters and MHKS

Just now, TheTeapot said:

Heh, what is this? Are you 12? Smelly bum face

Interesting...

1 hour ago, Rushen Spy said:

They wouldn't be. Neil believes in plutocracy, rule by the wealthy. Even though most wealth is still hereditary when factoring in property, meaning he's really a believer in oligarchy. Both plutocracy and oligarchy combined rule out any sort of meritocracy, which is why representative democracy is a useful (though imperfect) counter-weight.

Don’t recall saying that. As usual, you have spent (wasted) time looking up words to try and make yourself look clever. Unfortunately you failed...

3 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Don’t recall saying that. As usual, you have spent (wasted) time looking up words to try and make yourself look clever. Unfortunately you failed...

You don’t fancy a New Years resolution to stop pointlessly arguing with people do you Neil? Most of these threads are now so boring. 

Just now, thesultanofsheight said:

You don’t fancy a New Years resolution to stop pointlessly arguing with people do you Neil? Most of these threads are now so boring. 

You are as predictable as ever. I merely responded to that comment. Do you have a problem with that or would you prefer to have the forum all to yourself?

Just now, Neil Down said:

You are as predictable as ever. I merely responded to that comment. Do you have a problem with that or would you prefer to have the forum all to yourself?

I don’t have the forum to myself Neil. Despite your paranoia I have ONE account on here and always have had. Your constant fighting and arguing with every poster is fucking boring to be honest. No wonder the membership here is dwindling by the month. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I don’t have the forum to myself Neil. Despite your paranoia I have ONE account on here and always have had. Your constant fighting and arguing with every poster is fucking boring to be honest. No wonder the membership here is dwindling by the month. 

I never suggested you had more than one account. I was pointing out that once again you ignore the idiots that start the arguments revert to swearing in your posts then make inaccurate assumptions about the forum membership. I’m guessing posters are more fed up with your one sided view on here

ETA - I was off this forum for most of November and during that time you and a couple of others continued with your whinging and whining. Have a think about that.

Edited by Neil Down

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

I never suggested you had more than one account. I was pointing out that once again you ignore the idiots that start the arguments revert to swearing in your posts then make inaccurate assumptions about the forum membership. I’m guessing posters are more fed up with your one sided view on here

That’s it you’re blocked. Sick of listening to your persistent bollocks and pointless arguing. Why don’t you try looking at your own behaviour for once rather than blaming everyone else for the constant bickering and thread de-rails. It’s bloody boring. You or Dilligaf start almost every pointless page after page argument on here time after time. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 2

Just now, thesultanofsheight said:

That’s it you’re blocked. Sick of listening to your persistent bollocks and pointless arguing. Why don’t you try looking at your own behaviour for once rather than blaming everyone else for the constant bickering and thread de-rails. It’s bloody boring. 

:stupid:

On 1/1/2019 at 7:05 PM, Chris C said:

I agree, but I would have thought that the best way to do that would be to indulge in some progressive politics that creates enthusiasm in young people.

At the moment , despite having scores of extremely well paid politicians and civil servants, we seem to copy a majority of laws verbatim from the UK and only exercise our pseudo independence when it comes to allowing millionaire companies and individuals to operate here for next to nothing (regardless of the morality of what they are doing) in the futile hope that we might make enough coppers from them to provide public services - apparently the most valued of which is their own over-inflated pensions. It is bland, lazy, unimaginative and certainly not inspiring.

If you want to enthuse young people, you've got to give them something to be enthusiastic about. At the moment I think I'd be more worried if young people were enthusiastic about Manx politics. At least they currently seem to have the good grace to  reward it with the attention it deserves ie. very little.

Agree

We have the capacity to get ahead of the curve as we have a smaller more nimble government but that clearly isn't happening

I suspect a combination of reasons but satisfying an older generation who do actually vote and not wishing to "do the wrong thing" and take a risk mentality

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

I didn't need to look up any words. None of those words make a person using them look clever.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Who in Manx politics has economic literacy?

Whoever set the last two budgets.

Edited by Rushen Spy

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

No wonder the membership here is dwindling by the month. 

This is not correct Sulty. According to the 'new members' totals, the membership apparently increases by the day. Sometimes two a day.

It probably keeps the advertisers happy...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, quilp said:

This is not correct Sulty. According to the 'new members' totals, the membership apparently increases by the day. Sometimes two a day.

It probably keeps the advertisers happy...

Very few are posting though. I think I’ve seem 3 new posters in the last 2 months. So I’ve no idea why so many new accounts seem to register but never post anything. It’s the same few hardcore posters week in week out ignoring flounces and sock puppets. As you say it could be for the advertisers benefit? 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1

I have noticed quite a few new posters or perhaps they are people who have not posted for a while.

5 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I have noticed quite a few new posters or perhaps they are people who have not posted for a while.

That doesn’t suit his warped logic though does it?