Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

Disconnect between young voters and MHKS

20 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Following on from this, and JW’s review above, do we not think it is more critical now, than perhaps 50years or so ago?

John is spot on with nobody knowing what the next thing is, and that little of what has gone before has had anything to do with planning.

perhaps a deep mining facility for storage of nuclear waste?

We've already got one of those (allegedly).

14 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Following on from this, and JW’s review above, do we not think it is more critical now, than perhaps 50years or so ago?

John is spot on with nobody knowing what the next thing is, and that little of what has gone before has had anything to do with planning.

perhaps a deep mining facility for storage of nuclear waste?

Exploit the gas, use the revenues generated to build both a new geo-thermal power station, and an offshore windfarm to provide sustainable unlimited electrical energy.

Sell the excess energy to build a quasi-sovereign fund.

Everything else will follow from that - once the Island is energy self sufficient, the possibilities are endless IMHO.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, finlo said:

We've already got one of those (allegedly).

said the man in the pub.

2 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

said the man in the pub.

whilst drunk...

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

And Alf has had a relatively easy ride as Treasury Minister to date (IMHO). Ironically, there has been nobody to level criticism in the same fashion as he pulled Eddie Teare's Budget figures to pieces. And let's not forget that his Budget 2018 had a £40M+ raid on reserves too that went through relatively quietly with nobody raising a word (bar possibly Hooper) against it.

What astonishes me is that Treasury hasn't issued DfE with any growth targets to achieve the necessary financing levels for the economy

But then DfE hasn't any real idea of what it can achieve, or intends to achieve

7 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Economic literacy of Mr Cannan has yet to be tested

No one else in Tynwald has any

I don't think Cannan single-handedly put together the budget. I think Cannan and Thomas are economically literate enough to know they are not expert economists and therefore they have formulated policy and budgets factoring in guidance from those who are adept in the area of economics and fiscal responsibility.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, b4mbi said:

Exploit the gas, use the revenues generated to build both a new geo-thermal power station, and an offshore windfarm to provide sustainable unlimited electrical energy.

Sell the excess energy to build a quasi-sovereign fund.

Everything else will follow from that - once the Island is energy self sufficient, the possibilities are endless IMHO.

This. There's plenty of it out there, all around the north of the Island, never mind the Morecombe field. In 2013, John Shimmin on fanfare, was all over it. We already have part of an infrastructure in place - that expensive gas-turbine power station and the dense cloud of debt that hangs over it. What we need is an adequate refinery that covers our needs. The rest can be sold. There's a pipeline in place at Kirk Michael is there not..?

39 minutes ago, quilp said:

This. There's plenty of it out there, all around the north of the Island, never mind the Morecombe field. In 2013, John Shimmin on fanfare, was all over it. We already have part of an infrastructure in place - that expensive gas-turbine power station and the dense cloud of debt that hangs over it. What we need is an adequate refinery that covers our needs. The rest can be sold. There's a pipeline in place at Kirk Michael is there not..?

There most certainly is!

The interconnector spur in the gas pipeline between Scotland and Ireland lands around Kirk Michael and is routed through the Island to the Combined Cycle GAS Turbine Power Station at Pulrose.

27 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

There most certainly is!

The interconnector spur in the gas pipeline between Scotland and Ireland lands around Kirk Michael and is routed through the Island to the Combined Cycle GAS Turbine Power Station at Pulrose.

Yes, which we gifted Manx gas 28 million to install on the promise of cheap energy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, finlo said:

Yes, which we gifted Manx gas 28 million to install on the promise of cheap energy!

It probably is cheap-ish.

Just not to the end consumer.

• Thanks 1

I thought this thread was about young people not engaging with politics.If this government has got £3.8 million to throw at SUSTRANS for an active travel policy surely they could find a few quid to fund a funky publication and website to explain Manx politics.

On 1/2/2019 at 10:10 PM, Chris C said:

I think you're right. It's a failing of democracy, the need to be popular rather than radical. How do you change it? Personally I think dropping the wages would be a good idea. It needs to be sufficiently well paid that anyone can afford to do it, but that nobody really does it for the money.

Give em £20, £25K max per year and get rid of all other perks. I suspect it would be a very different house - I think it would be worth a try.

You'd end up with a guaranteed group of people that are independently wealthy 

You might have people with altruistic intentions or people who have a desire to further their own ends

I think being an MHK needs to have a salary to attract candidates who can attract that salary elsewhere but want to be in politics - Ramsey has a couple of good examples I think

• Like 1

There's no doubt a salary is required, but it should be designed to enable someone from a low income background to do the role and live; it shouldn't be made artificially high in order to entice people to the role. I think the base salary for an MHK is already more than enough. Having spoken with a number of people, the problem isn't the salary  (the really successful business people could easily do it for nothing) as much as it is the nuisance of starting as a backbench MHK and going through all the political shenanigans to climb up to a ministerial position. To sum it up, they just can't be arsed with all of that, especially when you're talking at least five or so years of that first before being able to get to a position of being able to really DO things. Even then, those people are smart enough to know they can probably exert more influence from the outside than the inside, as elected government pretty much go along with the Chamber of Commerce, and anybody with a lot of money has the ability to exert quite some influence just by letting their opinion be known. But five years as a newbie MHK? They don't want to waste five years. Perhaps if we could have a directly elected Chief Minister, with executive powers, it might make the road easier for such a person to skip through all the BS of being an MHK and attract high caliber people.

• Like 2

The Health Minister didn't have to wait for years before reaching CoMin. As with most of the other positions all an MHK needed to be on the top table with Howard was a pulse.

Your first sentence is spot on. The most successful politician the Isle of Man has ever had, more than, but at least in terms of votes at election, had the sole qualification of a Dolphin Certificate.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

I don't think Cannan single-handedly put together the budget. I think Cannan and Thomas are economically literate enough to know they are not expert economists and therefore they have formulated policy and budgets factoring in guidance from those who are adept in the area of economics and fiscal responsibility.

Who are those who are adept in the area of economics and fiscal responsibility ?