Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

Disconnect between young voters and MHKS

Another piece of rubbish from the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece-

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/survey-shows-disconnect-between-politicians-and-sixth-formers/

All that hot air and constant bullshit and promises and still younger people have no idea as to what’s going on in Tynpotwald. I’m sure some of our Facebook savvvy  MHKs will come to the rescue, bombarding them with vote for me type messages. It also says a lot and effectiveness of Junior Tynpotwald, so beloved by Messrs Watterson, Callister and Rodent. 

When were kids ever 'connected' to Manx politics? There will always be a handful who have an interest but kids just want to get on with being kids!  How the heck do they imagine that any of our politicians have any appeal to teenagers unless they are discussing student grants or legalising recreational drugs?

Now I have an indelible image of Bill Malarkey and Chris Robertshaw touring the hot nightspots of Douglas in flares, platform shoes and flowery shirts trying to drum up the young vote!

I'm more concerned about the disconnect between MHKs and reality.

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Max Power said:

When were kids ever 'connected' to Manx politics? There will always be a handful who have an interest but kids just want to get on with being kids! 

That's true I'd say but I don't believe we should just be willing to sit back and accept that as fact and not try and change it

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

That's true I'd say but I don't believe we should just be willing to sit back and accept that as fact and not try and change it

I agree, but much of government, particularly on the IoM is pretty mundane stuff. It's not until you accumulate burdensome responsibilities and financial concerns that these things become important!  

The majority of our politicians (and many around the world I suspect) are drawn to Tynwald by boundless egos and a good seasoning of narcissism.  As soon as they take the oath they feel obliged to believe that they are special beings working in a special institution.  So much of what they do is focused on Tynwald and all of its internal nonsense (e.g. Spuan's immediate reintroduction of the speaker's wig, the meaningless programme for government and Rob Callister), the needs of their friends in the Freemasons and the whining from the big public sector housing estates that they lose touch with what concerns us - 'the public'.  Most young people I know see through it completely - a bunch of no-hopers posing around and achieving nothing.  Why would they want to engage with that?

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Rhumsaa said:

depends how......

what the snp did in scottish schools was abhorrent, weekly propaganda classes for kids years before the independence referendum to leave them terrified and in tears.......

There really isn’t a need for the word “Young” in the thread title.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Politicians disconnected with voters shocker!!!

Don't Politicians just go around kissing arses, holding babies and bullshitting everyone (possibly themselves too) to get votes from voters and that's about as connected they get.

By young people, do they mean from 5 yrs old to 50 years old? The average age of the people who show up to political things is about 90. More needs to be done to incorporate an awareness of the Manx political system and the importance of voting and participation in the schools. More needs to be done in people's homes with their own kids, but unfortunately most people don't know enough themselves so are not going to be much use educating the next generation. Unfortunately, I don't trust the Department of Education to formulate an accurate and truthful curriculum on the subject. I would be very happy to participate in drafting such a curriculum or making proposals.

2 hours ago, woody2 said:

depends how......

what the snp did in scottish schools was abhorrent, weekly propaganda classes for kids years before the independence referendum to leave them terrified and in tears.......

I think it's a concern in the education that (much like RE) any politician going in will either conciously or sub conciously push their own viewpoint.

Personally I'd like a raising of awareness of the infrastructure of governments than necessarily political opinion being brought out.

I do not think it was the best idea to lower the voting age to 16 but seeing how it has been perhaps young people should be aware of how politics affects everyone's future and how the system works.   The young people who were asked the various questions and the answers may have disappointed some but does not surprise me in the least in fact if you walked through Strand Street and asked the same number of adults the same questions I bet the percentages would be similar it is surprising the amount of 30 to 50 year olds show little interest in politics and would certainly not know who represented them having not bothered to vote in the first place. Next time you see your kids ask them the answer will probably be ...I don't do politics or they are all the same it is not worth voting, I am talking about 20, 30, 40 year olds now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hissingsid said:

I do not think it was the best idea to lower the voting age to 16

Old enough to work full time and pay taxes you should have the right to vote (even if you choose not to)

• Like 2