Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
2112

Manx Gas Findings

Recommended Posts

Another day, another bullshit moment. Another day, a new year and more Manx Government lunancy, prevarication, waffle and obstruction to follow.

Todays pronouncement from the Nations Mouthpiece - 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-gas-reports-shocking-conclusions/

The word shocking is used. The question is whether IOMG really has the the backbone and bottle to actually do anything? I’m afraid with some of our MHKs supposedly in high office, it’s likely they will roll over for tummy tickles.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Guess the OFT is due a re-brand soon then.

oh yes,  the Office of Fuck Taxpayers

  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is totally useless, it lacks teeth and costs money which could be allocated to a more worthy department.   The Steam Packet report ended up in the shredder after costing a load of dosh, the Gas co report and agreement......well..     . All this dept does is advise about electric blankets etc the Fire service could do this.    This department and the planning department need scrapping, commissioners and town councillors could sort the planning out, it would not be perfect but as good as the service we get now they are useless and expensive to run...get rid.

 

Edited by hissingsid
Ipad madness
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.... but what can be so ''Shocking'' in the report?

Maybe MG made 11% profit? Shock horror! Maybe they have made a excessive profit in this llast year of the agreement that can't be clawed back next year?

If the Shock is that the agreement favoured MG, then that is the Govts fault, are they really saying the Govt have done something shocking? Unlikely?

We'll not get any figures, so we'll just have to trust C Thomas!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OFT. is just a name for the operation, their remit is much wider that the price of Cheddar in two shops! If they were to be cut back, their other work would have to 'Pop Up' somewhere else, probably with the same number and indeed, the same staff from the closed down dept.

Their agreement with MG could not have been an easy negotiation, if it was not perfect, then that is about what we can expect from our Govt. and is not necessarily a aspersion on the individual staff in the OFT. who, maybe, could have done a lot better without Govt/Treasury interference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regulation of gas (and other) pricing on the Island is not and never was the OFT's remit. To be fair.

They take the flak from everybody but it's not their job. Their job is to enforce the statutory rules. If those rules are wrong or are able to have an abusive wagon and horses driven over, under and through them, then the anger needs to be addressed towards those who drew up the rules. And we know who they are. And paid remarkable amounts of money too.

It will be interesting to see how much information is released on this. Like the SP report with-holding, I'd think it will be about protecting those who drew up the (failed?) agreement as much as protecting the favoured MG itself. Commercial Confidentiality indeed.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2019 at 10:29 AM, Non-Believer said:

Regulation of gas (and other) pricing on the Island is not and never was the OFT's remit. To be fair.

They take the flak from everybody but it's not their job. Their job is to enforce the statutory rules. If those rules are wrong or are able to have an abusive wagon and horses driven over, under and through them, then the anger needs to be addressed towards those who drew up the rules. And we know who they are. And paid remarkable amounts of money too.

It will be interesting to see how much information is released on this. Like the SP report with-holding, I'd think it will be about protecting those who drew up the (failed?) agreement as much as protecting the favoured MG itself. Commercial Confidentiality indeed.

If I recall correctly the Agreement with MG was signed in the name of DOI but the terms were set by Treasury. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

If I recall correctly the Agreement with MG was signed in the name of DOI but the terms were set by Treasury. 

Anything with the letters DOI attached to it in any form is likely to be FUBAR.

IF the will exists to make the full findings of this report public and IF it is found that failings in the Agreement have allowed the many gas-buying members of the Manx public (some of whom have doubtless had no option) to be royally ripped off since its signing, then the names of those politicians and CS responsible for the INTERESTS OF THE PUBLIC in negotiating the Agreement should be made public. Even if retired on their generous superannuation.

So they can be stripped naked, marched through and horsewhipped in the centres of all of our major towns. Let there for once be some accountability in public service on this Island.

Edited by Non-Believer
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Anything with the letters DOI attached to it in any form is likely to be FUBAR.

Rubbish. Just publishing this report has brought in £500K of free advertising for the island.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Release of report now delayed, apparently?  Gracious me, why would that be, after leaking that some of its findings might be construed as being "shocking"? Major consignment of redaction pens on the way? Space being cleared on the shelf next to the SP report?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Release of report now delayed, apparently?  Gracious me, why would that be, after leaking that some of its findings might be construed as being "shocking"? Major consignment of redaction pens on the way? Space being cleared on the shelf next to the SP report?

Lawrie Hooper has also now said on FB that government now can (from 31st Dec) give them 6 months notice to bin the contract. Have they got the balls to though? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...