Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Alias

IoM obscure favourites

What are your favourite parts of the Isle of Man that would not typically be recognised from a tourist/heritage point of view?

I'll start - the wind moulded trees at Injebreck, many such to pick but the ones below of particular note for their resistance to the elements. As trees go they are basically horizontal..

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.2366609,-4.5328489,3a,75y,135.95h,75.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2jphHCnOEFxoSPKDgSu1HA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

image.png.4899baa4455485c12a62563e32e7b740.png

• Like 3

The Sound. Great history, currents, wrecks, history. 

My ashes will one day be scattered there.

• Like 1

One of my favourite places for wind formed trees is here.

While this is my favourite "tree tunnel" which still, though it is now more than a few years since I've moved off Island, makes me think "nearly home" when driving through it when just off the boat and heading south.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As far as tree tunnels go the one above Crosby past Ellerslie heading south on the millennium way is pretty great if you go at the right time of the year. 

I do a tour for visitors (I've probably mentioned it many times before) it includes, the cloven stones, the old prison (which is not there any more), the new prison (which is shite in comparison to the old prison) and the Manx Cabbage at the Point of Ayre (which usually involves showing people various plants which may or may not be the famous Manx Cabbage - found only at the Point of Ayre out of the whole world ever and has no predators - have you seen it? utterly rubbish). There are many other things, like the Chasms, Archie (or Archallaghan plantation to non Foxdaliens) and TBF we are really lucky, the Isle of Man is totes maze. :) 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 11:19 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

The Sound. Great history, currents, wrecks, history. 

My ashes will one day be scattered there.

iomg will turn it into a ministry........

10 hours ago, thebees said:

I do a tour for visitors (I've probably mentioned it many times before) it includes, the cloven stones, the old prison (which is not there any more), the new prison (which is shite in comparison to the old prison) and the Manx Cabbage at the Point of Ayre (which usually involves showing people various plants which may or may not be the famous Manx Cabbage - found only at the Point of Ayre out of the whole world ever and has no predators - have you seen it? utterly rubbish). There are many other things, like the Chasms, Archie (or Archallaghan plantation to non Foxdaliens) and TBF we are really lucky, the Isle of Man is totes maze. :) 

Big stones, a prison, a cabbage and some trees.

I'm going for that tour next time. I'm sick of taking my visitors to that wheel. 

I thought the Manx Cabbage was in a shed down Banks Circus way?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I was thinking more Tynwald chamber.

2 hours ago, finlo said:

I was thinking more Tynwald chamber.

+1 AKA Chief Minister

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

or peel on a sunday morning............