Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
hissingsid

High Street gloom

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

In various trips to the Strand Centre in the last 12 months I have yet to see more than one or two customers in there at any one time. Usually outnumbered by sales assistants.

ETA. Including a couple of days before Xmas just past.

agree, it couldn't be the cost of trainers could it? I mean who doesn't pay £500 for white kids trainers... :rolleyes:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

In various trips to the Strand Centre in the last 12 months I have yet to see more than one or two customers in there at any one time. Usually outnumbered by sales assistants.

ETA. Including a couple of days before Xmas just past.

That was another classic MF thread with posters trying to justify the Flannels IOM business plan. As you say the shop almost always has more staff than customers in it when you go past. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Neil Down said:
6 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

In various trips to the Strand Centre in the last 12 months I have yet to see more than one or two customers in there at any one time. Usually outnumbered by sales assistants.

ETA. Including a couple of days before Xmas just past.

agree, it couldn't be the cost of trainers could it? I mean who doesn't pay £500 for white kids trainers... :rolleyes:

How much do they pay for black kid's trainers ?:P

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I hope they don't pay for laces because the little buggers don't do them up!

What is the World coming to? I don't know.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

That was another classic MF thread with posters trying to justify the Flannels IOM business plan. As you say the shop almost always has more staff than customers in it when you go past. 

There was general agreement that the only possible explanations of the existence of Flannels and their price levels were:

(a) the Department of Enterprise (or whatever it was called that year) had deluded them into believing that the Island was full of multimillionaires, simultaneously willing to splash out on overpriced tat and unable to work out how to get off the Island.  While in fact the ones we do have are all tight and only too willing to swan off to Bond Street if they do need to splash the cash;

(b) the Sports Direct empire had some complicated tax scam going on that required a physical store presence;

(c)  the aforementioned D of E was paying them cash for some strange reason, just like all the other strange reasons it hands out money.

I did wonder if it could be a front for selling drugs (the prices would make sense if they came with a free 'gift''), but obviously it would be much busier if that were the case.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Unwanted formatting
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

There was general agreement that the only possible explanations of the existence of Flannels and their price levels were:

(a) the Department of Enterprise (or whatever it was called that year) had deluded them into believing that the Island was full of multimillionaires, simultaneously willing to splash out on overpriced tat and unable to work out how to get off the Island.  While in fact the ones we do have are all tight and only too willing to swan off to Bond Street if they do need to splash the cash;

(b) the Sports Direct empire had some complicated tax scam going on that required a physical store presence;

(c)  the aforementioned D of E was paying them cash for some strange reason, just like all the other strange reasons it hands out money.

I did wonder if it could be a front for selling drugs (the prices would make sense if they came with a free 'gift''), but obviously it would be much busier if that were the case.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

There was general agreement that the only possible explanations of the existence of Flannels and their price levels were:

(a) the Department of Enterprise (or whatever it was called that year) had deluded them into believing that the Island was full of multimillionaires, simultaneously willing to splash out on overpriced tat and unable to work out how to get off the Island.  While in fact the ones we do have are all tight and only too willing to swan off to Bond Street if they do need to splash the cash;

(b) the Sports Direct empire had some complicated tax scam going on that required a physical store presence;

(c)  the aforementioned D of E was paying them cash for some strange reason, just like all the other strange reasons it hands out money.

I did wonder if it could be a front for selling drugs (the prices would make sense if they came with a free 'gift''), but obviously it would be much busier if that were the case.

(b) and (c) I reckon. Not only helping them to avoid tax but paying them to do it as well. All for the kudos of having a Flannels in our "premium" shopping run, as only befits our burgeoning, booming economy. It's the way these minds work

Makes me wonder what'll happen to the now vacated ex-Shoprite premises under Chester St carpark. Now that is one big, empty cave of a place.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

(b) and (c) I reckon. Not only helping them to avoid tax but paying them to do it as well. All for the kudos of having a Flannels in our "premium" shopping run, as only befits our burgeoning, booming economy. It's the way these minds work

Makes me wonder what'll happen to the now vacated ex-Shoprite premises under Chester St carpark. Now that is one big, empty cave of a place.

A big nightclub would be what is very much needed. Not for me I might add, but there is nothing now like what we used to have with the Cave, Lido etc.

Anything that will suit our youngsters is what it has to become.

 ( We also had Paramount, Jefferson's, Studebaker's Niki Dow, Dow Jones, etc. etc.)  

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

A big nightclub would be what is very much needed. Not for me I might add, but there is nothing now like what we used to have with the Cave, Lido etc.

Anything that will suit our youngsters is what it has to become.

 ( We also had Paramount, Jefferson's, Studebaker's Niki Dow, Dow Jones, etc. etc.)  

Not often I agree with Dilli.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't the Outback a big nightclub?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Isn't the Outback a big nightclub?

Used to be more of a youth club years ago

Edited by dilligaf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Isn't the Outback a big nightclub?

more a brothel without having to pay.......

  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Isn't the Outback a big nightclub?

It was bigger when it was the Tardis.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

Used to be more of a youth club years ago

Still is...;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It was bigger when it was the Tardis.

Same size isn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...