Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Manx Bean

Government Whistleblowing - You are in safe hands...

4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

If anything ever needed an independent ombudsman, this is it.

There were a number of us in the cops who never believed our concerns were taken seriously.

An Independent Police Complaints system was unanimously  recommended by Tynwald following a Petition of Grievance by a retired Manchester Police Traffic Inspector in 2006.

The Chief Constable made an unreserved public apology  to the officer and his family as what he described “As not the force’s finest hour”

Guess who the top civil Servant was in Home Affairs at the time of that Tynwald made that recommendation?

Guess what happened to Tynwalds recommendation for an Independent Polce Complaints system?

Very Long Grass!

We have not been blessed with Chief Executives on the Island since we adopted a Council of Ministers who have given any impression of a well relegated jurisdiction.

There are so many examples of failure of procedures by the Executive which if investigated shows gross failings, yet there is little or no

prospect of any Independent scrutiny.

Just saying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Think you are way out of line with that one Dilli. Management are supposed to lead by example and train/educate the workforce. From what I see in government there is far too much bullying going on. I don’t work (and never have) for government but have enough family and friends who do. To a person they will tell you about the bullying practices that go on

I can assure you that the contrary is the case. I am very close to this issue and can say that most of what you are told will be bollocks.

If a worker is reprimanded they usually cry bullying. Ask them to do what they are paid big money for and they cry harassment. In government, managers are rarely allowed to manage. If you want about 100 examples, I will PM them.

• Like 2

The anti-whistleblower culture is just one aspect of Manx politics; where you keep your mouth shut, don't challenge authority or its decisions, don't threaten the powers that be or their income streams, and don't derail the gravy train. It's been this way for generations and will remain so until the island hits the buffers.    

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Whatnonsence said:

An Independent Police Complaints system was unanimously  recommended by Tynwald following a Petition of Grievance by a retired Manchester Police Traffic Inspector in 2006.

The Chief Constable made an unreserved public apology  to the officer and his family as what he described “As not the force’s finest hour”

Guess who the top civil Servant was in Home Affairs at the time of that Tynwald made that recommendation?

I’m sure your last remark/question is significant but I don’t know what’s behind it...so who was said top civil servant?

3 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

I’m sure your last remark/question is significant but I don’t know what’s behind it...so who was said top civil servant?

AB ?

Just now, dilligaf said:

AB ?

If you mean Bellend Dilli he was Minister at Home Affairs in the early 2000s, never a CS, and gone well before 2006

• Thanks 1

Just now, Uhtred said:

If you mean Bellend Dilli he was Minister at Home Affairs in the early 2000s, never a CS, and gone well before 2006

Oh !

I think I’ve twigged...top CS at DHA in 2006 must’ve been Greenhow (who presumably ignored the Tynwald recommendation about the cops somehow) and who now of course is Chief Secretary and lately assured the select committee (or at least tried to) that all is well, whistleblowing is super effective and is in fact not needed anyway because everything in the garden is rosy.

Edited by Uhtred
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

I am not comfortable with it at all.

The CS has major flaws, I will admit and they need to be addressed asap. But at the same time, if people can't handle the heat, then they should vacate the kitchen.

If the odds are stacked against you, you move on.

ie. move on or be moved

as in:

1 hour ago, finlo said:

The reality is if you have the audacity to whistle blow here you have to have a one way ticket for the next boat out of here!

50 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

The anti-whistleblower culture is just one aspect of Manx politics; where you keep your mouth shut, don't challenge authority or its decisions, don't threaten the powers that be or their income streams, and don't derail the gravy train. It's been this way for generations and will remain so until the island hits the buffers.    

The Island should have hit the buffers a decade ago. As it happened there were huge reserves as a result of the shenanigans with the UK VAT Common Purse. It's going fast but is being largely spent on retirement homes in sunnier climes and cruises etc.

• Like 3

Nice to see the usual posters standing up for and actively supporting government bullying. Hardly surprising really. They probably spend the hours that they don’t spend angrily spouting off on here bullying people in the workplace with the same level of zeal. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Who are the "usual posters" Sultan? Having read back through the thread I fail to identify who it might be that you're referring to. Gizza clue... 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, dilligaf said:

It wasn't " Our Man Flint" was it ?

That well known top ranking civil servant?

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

That well known top ranking civil servant?

that sounds more accurate when spoken by jonathan ross.

• Haha 3