Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
MrPB

I thought it might have been pictures of Quayle, Skelly and Boot.

IoM Gov trying to keep the pensions liability down.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I thought it might have been pictures of Quayle, Skelly and Boot.

IoM Gov trying to keep the pensions liability down.

Serious point though what use is an online mental health function? It relies on someone knowing they have issues to access in the first place. Looks like a total waste of time to me and the likely outcome will be that people with issues will still kill themselves. 

One can see this a mile off. "Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening. You've logged on to the IoM Suicide Prevention Site, part of IoM Government's Digital Government Strategy.

Please click on 1 if you're currently tying a knotted rope around bannisters or a tree branch.

Please click on 2 if you're in the bath with a razor blade.

Please click on 3 if you've got the pill bottles open in front of you.

Please click on 4 if you're preparing to jump off a DOI responsibility.

Please click on 5 if you're preparing to throw yourself under a moving vehicle (which may belong to the DOI fleet)

Please click on 6 to return to the menu.

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

One can see this a mile off. "Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening. You've logged on to the IoM Suicide Prevention Site, part of IoM Government's Digital Government Strategy.

Please click on 1 if you're currently tying a knotted rope around bannisters or a tree branch.

Please click on 2 if you're in the bath with a razor blade.

Please click on 3 if you've got the pill bottles open in front of you.

Please click on 4 if you're preparing to jump off a DOI responsibility.

Please click on 5 if you're preparing to throw yourself under a moving vehicle (which may belong to the DOI fleet)

Please click on 6 to return to the menu.

And whatever you enter, the answer is always 404.

It's difficult to see what this is doing that the Samaritans don't do already and with 24-7 coverage and guaranteed anonymity.  Except no doubt spending more money on more expensive IT development[1] in the belief that if you add e- to the start of something it makes it cool and trendy.  And enables you to call it something it isn't, like a clinic.  More time and money devoted to what they are supposed to deliver and less to PR might be a better idea.

[1]  And like most IOMG IT projects will be badly thought through (because no one bothered to talk to the people who would use it) and never maintained.

• Like 5

Thanks Roger. These things should not be in the hands of faceless, soulless civil servants in Cabinet Office IT Branch.

Leave it with trained volunteers from the likes of the Samaritans, as you suggest.

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Edited by Albert Tatlock

I suspect it may be a variation of CCBT, as used by the NHS and others.

Computerised cognitive behaviour therapy (cCBT) is known to be an effective tool but it’s effectiveness seems to vary, depending on the condition or need. You can Google a diverse range of contradictory research. Used for anxiety, loss, OCD, depression, prisoners mental health, etc.

CCBT for many conditions is very effective and will save money. If it’s well publicised, it may stop unnecessary GP appointments. You only have to look at apps such as headspace to see it has substance.

So I can see the rationale, for some conditions. I’m fairly sure it’s not an alternative for everything - I suspect the DHSC would have the same view. 

It’s more an additional tool which I’d imagine is off the shelf rather than written....

Edited by joeyconcrete

It may be useful for people who have had in-person CBT and it can help to keep you in practice with exercises, etc. Unfortunately, most people in need of in-person CBT will be waiting years for it. Online CBT on its own without human interaction isn't good enough.

• Haha 1

On line therapy! Little wonder MF is quiet tonight!

1 hour ago, Rushen Spy said:

Online CBT on its own without human interaction isn't good enough.

I tend to agree, but there’s a wide spectrum of conditions and maybe some stigma about seeking professional advice.

I suspect this is aimed at the more common issues, and I can’t imagine any healthcare professional simply referring a patient to a website, when genuine care is being sought.

On 1/28/2019 at 12:15 AM, Non-Believer said:

Thanks Roger. These things should not be in the hands of faceless, soulless civil servants in Cabinet Office IT Branch.

Leave it with trained volunteers from the likes of the Samaritans, as you suggest.

I’d agree with that. Samaritans do an absolutely fantastic job.