Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

Ramsey Marina

4 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

As stated earlier in the thread, as a single boat, we have handed over £60,000 in berthing fees to the West Coast of Scotland since 2013 - We would (along with many others) prefer to give it to IOM - but if IOM doesn't want it (along with all money spent in shops, pubs, restaurants, service facilities) then fair enough.............

If it is costing you £200 per week to have a "boat", I would change your hobby. You are either silly or not being too truthful.

Just a couple of points here. Firstly, as "Balladoc" has previously posted, the background photograph to the artist's impression is way out of date. Having enlarged and peered at it a bit, I'd suggest that it appears to date to the early seventies when much of South Ramsey still lay in demolition ruins; none of the recent development since then appears to be shown or to have any consideration.

Secondly, IF the Queen's Pier is to form "part" of this development with the proposed "replacement" landing head extending north at the end (like the old one that was demolished in 1991?), what consideration has been given to the ongoing private refurbishment of the pier? They are currently working on the initial 20m section and have been for the last 2 years. There are almost 80 further sections before the end.

• Like 1

Cruising from somewhere like Whitehaven to Bangor is not seen as a short hop by your average family cruising sailor.  On a 30 ft yacht one would expect an average speed of circa 6 knots, thus taking some 12 + hours for the trip.  Much better to do two 6 hour legs with an overnight stop in the Isle of Man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

If it is costing you £200 per week to have a "boat", I would change your hobby. You are either silly or not being too truthful.

What answer would you like me to give to that?

We are 19 Meter.

Largs marina, Bangor Marina, Conway Marina and Liverpool Marina all charge between £350/meter and £500/ meter for annual berthing - it will cost more on the south coast of England.

All around you (England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales) are getting £350-£500 per meter per year from every boat - and They are Full!

Who is being the silly one here?  Me, or you /IOMG who could have that income?

If you want to accuse me of being 'silly or not too truthful' try Google and look at their rates.

Maybe even a small apology?

Edited by Manximus Aururaneus

4 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

What answer would you like me to give to that?

We are 19 Meter.

Largs marina, Bangor Marina, Conway Marina and Liverpool Marina all charge between £350/meter and £500/ meter for annual berthing - it will cost more on the south cost of England.

All around you (England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales) are getting £350-£500 per meter per year from every boat - and They are Full!

Who is being the silly one here? If you want to accuse me of being 'silly or not too truthful' try Google and look at their rates.

Maybe even a small apology?

Apology for what.

You spend £200 every week to keep a boat tied up ?????

Silly is as silly does, is what I learned years ago.

Edited by dilligaf

2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Apology for what.

You spend £200 every week to keep a boat tied up ?????

Silly is as silly does, is what I leaned years ago.

The boat earns me a huge profit - it's commercial! You have learned (leaned) diddlysqat.

• Like 1

Just now, Manximus Aururaneus said:

The boat earns me a huge profit - it's commercial! You have learned diddlysqat.

And you would earn mega bucks in Ramsey. Yeah right .

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

And you would earn mega bucks in Ramsey. Yeah right .

No - RAMSEY would earn mega bucks!!!!!

Largs is earning mega bucks, Bangor is earning mega bucks, Conway is earning Mega bucks, Liverpool is earning mega bucks, RAMSEY IS EARNING F ALL!!!!

But you must be right, I'm just silly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

No - RAMSEY would earn mega bucks!!!!!

Largs is earning mega bucks, Bangor is earning mega bucks, Conway is earning Mega bucks, Liverpool is earning mega bucks, RAMSEY IS EARNING F ALL!!!!

But you must be right, I'm just silly.

Not saying I know fuck all about this, but what would Ramsey earn from the occasional overnighter ?

Edited by dilligaf

Dilli's arguing about summat he really knows fuck all about - again. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, quilp said:

Dilli's arguing about summat he really knows fuck all about - again. 

Maybe you can answer the question then ? What would Ramsey earn from the occasional boat ?

I mean Ramsey, not the so called investors.

All the 24 hour access marinas around the North Irish Sea are at or near full capacity.  The Isle of Man desperately needs one and it would bring huge financial benefits to the community.  

This new and imaginative proposal seems to be a positive move forward and appears to make financial sense. Hopefully, a positive attitude will be displayed by all !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Not saying I know fuck all about this, but what would Ramsey earn from the occasional overnighter ?

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

Maybe you can answer the question then ? What would Ramsey earn from the occasional boat ?

I mean Ramsey, not the so called investors.

If I chose to spend my time putting forward a serious answer Dilli - would you actually be the first person on MF to do me the credit of actually listening (even if you disagree)?

Just now, Manximus Aururaneus said:

If I chose to spend my time putting forward a serious answer Dilli - would you actually be the first person on MF to do me the credit of actually listening (even if you disagree)?

Yes.

30 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Yes.

Thank you.

I won't bore you with my maritime experience - let's just accept that ' it would stand up to scrutiny'. I'm just going to post some facts - just accept them for the moment, even if you disagree. 

Look at the big picture from IOM point of view - Don't seek a minuscule argument with me.

1. IOM has few natural resources - but it is strategically located in the marine environment (military, commercial, leisure).

2. As an example, the marine facilities surrounding the Irish sea, including Liverpool, Anglesea, Belfast, Dublin, The Clyde were destroyed by the end of the cold war / militarisation - all have since boomed in tourism, wind farm support, marine research, and, for the purposes of this thread, private marine facilities.

3. The IOM has never jumped on that bandwagon - it has lost out big time!

4. When I speak to Ireland, Wales, Scotland, England about spending £200 per week to park my boat with them - they do not take the piss out of me and call me silly - they take my money and ask if I have any mates!!!!!

5. 500 boats would be a reasonable target for the Island (I never said Ramsey) - 500 by say 12 meter average, by say £450 per year is £2.7M parking fees - what does IOMG currently receive in car park income?

6. Everybody on boats eats ashore, pubs, repairs, .............

BUT - AND THIS IS THE REAL BUT

I and 499 others would spend £200 per week parking - plus the rest on pubs restaurants etc. But not for shite service and the privilege of being called 'silly' for doing so.

IOM has lost out big style on loss on income because of shite service and pulling everybody down (Peel crabs)  - does it intend to continue on this path?

• Like 3