Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

Ramsey Marina

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, quilp said:

Bloody hell yessir. Cynical aren't ya? Perhaps if they build it perhaps they will come.

You can take the man out of Ramsey but you can't take Ramsey out of the man...:lol:

Oh, I hope it happens but Ramsey is Ramsey.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

.......smacks of the long wave aerial off the Point!

Technology overtook that idea...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this guy was on manx radio tonight expressing his vision for the new douglas harbour.  said something along the lines of if the ben breaks down then it would be impossible to source a replacement anywhere in the western hemisphere so the best solution is a complete new harbour with cruise docking facilities, a tanker berth and room at the end for a gas and oil extraction service facility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lack of funds currently is not an issue as these would be sought if the proposal gets somewhere near approval to proceed. if this could be secured, the proposal does appear to be an exciting one that would improve Ramsey for the better. However, recent history suggests that Ramsey Commissioners have tended to take the view that Ramsey is fine as it is and does not need inward investment or better facilities, particularly if this involves changing the town in any significant way...

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My initial reaction on seeing this was "WTF?" but having got over the initial shock, I am cautiously in support of it provided no public money is put at risk.  I'm somewhat doubtful whether enough yachtspeople could be attracted to the marina to make it pay, but if they can, it would be a great idea.  There should be more opportunities for employment in Ramsey, so you don't have so many people doing the daily commute from Ramsey to Douglas over the mountain (hands up - I am one of said commuters).  It should generate a number of pubs, restaurants, yacht chandlers and that sort of thing.

I would point out however that the map he is using is rather out of date: the "gas holders" shown opposite Ramsey inner harbour have long since been demolished and there is a new Haven Homes housing development on the site now.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't they completely forgotten about the existing RNLI boathouse ... exactly how will they be able to launch when the beach is no more ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, VikingRaider said:

Haven't they completely forgotten about the existing RNLI boathouse ... exactly how will they be able to launch when the beach is no more ?

If only there was some sort of dredged,  non-drying mooring facility involved in this development plan . . .

Edited by Yibble
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BallaDoc said:

My initial reaction on seeing this was "WTF?" but having got over the initial shock, I am cautiously in support of it provided no public money is put at risk.  I'm somewhat doubtful whether enough yachtspeople could be attracted to the marina to make it pay, but if they can, it would be a great idea.  There should be more opportunities for employment in Ramsey, so you don't have so many people doing the daily commute from Ramsey to Douglas over the mountain (hands up - I am one of said commuters).  It should generate a number of pubs, restaurants, yacht chandlers and that sort of thing.

I would point out however that the map he is using is rather out of date: the "gas holders" shown opposite Ramsey inner harbour have long since been demolished and there is a new Haven Homes housing development on the site now.   

All plans to make Ramsey a nice place have been quashed by the people of Ramsey in the end. This will be no different. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

All plans to make Ramsey a nice place have been quashed by the people of Ramsey in the end. This will be no different. 

There was a typo in that - you meant to say "nicer" place

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That bit of beach by the lifeboat house is one of the best parts of Ramsey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This s is a great idea in principle, however, how are they going to get rid of the silt easily because at the moment the river to Ramsey washes it out naturally?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...