Ramsey Marina

slinkydevil

7 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

if there was as much support as you think there is then surely it would have progressed by now. You and I both know that funding is not in place. Once the houses have been built you won't see him for dust. Just for clarity I fully supported making the harbour pedestrianised. 

That’s not what I am talking about.  I am saying it would be good for Ramsey if it happened, and you said it wouldn’t and then said I had nicked my mums laptop.

Anyway, you have since given The Phantoms post making the same point a “thanks” so I think you must have just been confused.

9 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

what's making you sad about that Doc?

Maybe he understands why that would never work for the many people reliant on the harbour for their livelihood or people who are dependant on Mezeron freight?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

That’s not what I am talking about.  I am saying it would be good for Ramsey if it happened, and you said it wouldn’t and then said I had nicked my mums laptop.

Anyway, you have since given The Phantoms post making the same point a “thanks” so I think you must have just been confused.

I think the only confused person is you. Phantom explains quite clearly just why it's a bad idea. You have just jumped into their pocket.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

Maybe he understands why that would never work for the many people reliant on the harbour for their livelihood or people who are dependant on Mezeron freight?

Do you mean like working to tide times etc?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

what's making you sad about that Doc?

Peel and Douglas silting, lift bridge and foot bridge maintenance costs, Past damage to boats in Douglas due to floating debris, mooring fees etc. ad nauseam.

However, I would support a swing gate, (rather than a flap gate) across the old river entrance between swing bridge and boat yard thus providing a floating marina, still have access to the slip at the boatyard and still maintain scouring of the river to the sea and give choice of drying or floating moorings and cost, plus leaving the drying grid still available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Youaintseenme said:

Yes.  It looks brilliant to me.

A new beach, hotel, shops and restaurants, plus some new build property and hopefully all without any taxpayers money.

This is a statement, also made by others such as Allinson, that expansion is good. More houses, more shops. But when that is completed, there will be people who will still want more houses, more shops, ad infinitum.

Well, not ad infinitum because that is impossible.

You might be right that at the moment more house and shops would be good, but you also have to specify when to stop the expansion. What is the perfect size for Ramsey?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

This is a statement, also made by others such as Allinson, that expansion is good. More houses, more shops. But when that is completed, there will be people who will still want more houses, more shops, ad infinitum.

Well, not ad infinitum because that is impossible.

You might be right that at the moment more house and shops would be good, but you also have to specify when to stop the expansion. What is the perfect size for Ramsey?

I would like to see another 40000 people on the island and Ramsey up to about 12,000.

I know most won’t agree.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

I would like to see another 40000 people on the island and Ramsey up to about 12,000.

I know most won’t agree.

Fine, if they will live in apartments built on all the derelict brownfield sites we have and the developers pay for the increased health and education provision prior to the developments.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Fine, if they will live in apartments built on all the derelict brownfield sites we have and the developers pay for the increased health and education provision prior to the developments.

I would rather see the brownfield sites as entertainment venues, restaurants, shops and car parks and then better transport links and roads into the town from new estates.

Again.  Not popular with the nimbys but shouldn’t even need developers to pay for infrastructure improvements.  If government managed their finances properly the whole well managed and staged expansion of the population would be self funding through increased tax revenues and we would all benefit from cheaper services and on and off island travel.

Anyway, I digress.  Get the marina built and that would be a start

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

I would rather see the brownfield sites as entertainment venues, restaurants, shops and car parks and then better transport links and roads into the town from new estates.

Again.  Not popular with the nimbys but shouldn’t even need developers to pay for infrastructure improvements.  If government managed their finances properly the whole well managed and staged expansion of the population would be self funding through increased tax revenues and we would all benefit from cheaper services and on and off island travel.

Anyway, I digress.  Get the marina built and that would be a start

Can you point to anywhere the current marina proposers have built and finished similar developments?.

Looking at the state of some vessels in Peel and Douglas marinas I wonder if the demand is there?.

Edited by ellanvannin2010
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Can you point to anywhere the current marina proposers have built and finished similar developments?.

No.  But at no point have I said I could.

I have only said that “if” it was completed as planned I think it would be brilliant.  I previously acknowledged that that was a view completely unrelated to if they could actually finance it in response to others saying that even “if” it was completed it would be a bad thing.

Whether it would be beneficial to the island and whether it will ever be built are two separate views.

In my opinion it would be great, but will never happen.  Partly because of people who will never allow it to happen because they don’t like change and progress.

• Haha 1