Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
hissingsid

Rate reform

Perhaps the latest round of rate increases and the way that different boards have explained them I.e. blamed them on waste disposal etc will encourage some sort of move towards Rateable value reform, lists of muttering, especially from whispering Chris Thomas about progress being made but really nothing of note.  The nearer we get to the next election of course everything will grind to a stop as all the good and the great will not want to offend any likely voters.   This of course means there will be no chance of means testing social housing tenants or anything else slightly contentious, rates being one to avoid, being dealt with.   Brexit will no doubt be blamed for scavenging seagulls etc and every other blight known to man.  The lack of bravery in tackling problems is pathetic and do not even mention THE.  Pension Pot which is not going to go away.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hissingsid said:

Perhaps the latest round of rate increases and the way that different boards have explained them I.e. blamed them on waste disposal etc will encourage some sort of move towards Rateable value reform, lists of muttering, especially from whispering Chris Thomas about progress being made but really nothing of note.  The nearer we get to the next election of course everything will grind to a stop as all the good and the great will not want to offend any likely voters.   This of course means there will be no chance of means testing social housing tenants or anything else slightly contentious, rates being one to avoid, being dealt with.   Brexit will no doubt be blamed for scavenging seagulls etc and every other blight known to man.  The lack of bravery in tackling problems is pathetic and do not even mention THE.  Pension Pot which is not going to go away.

Rates reform = vote loser

All Island rate = vote loser

Means testing social housing = vote loser

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Exactly, so no one is going to make much effort to sort these subjects out.    Onchan Comms. did ok only increasing the rates by 2% after the undisclosed payout to the clerk they fell out with that must have been a handy amount.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hissingsid said:

Exactly, so no one is going to make much effort to sort these subjects out.    Onchan Comms. did ok only increasing the rates by 2% after the undisclosed payout to the clerk they fell out with that must have been a handy amount.

I would imagine the pay out will be in next years accounts? Wasn’t the financial y/e December 31st? They don’t seem to have signed their accounts off yet either if some of Busters ravings on FB are true. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Aye the black hole keeps on getting blacker, plod is now going around ticketing people for parking in disabled bays in the middle of the night in a desperate bid to preserve their pensions!

I know absolutely nothing about how rates work (400p in the pound wft) but what I do know is that any kind of rates reform will work out more expensive. You should all shut up and keep the status quo

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I know absolutely nothing about how rates work (400p in the pound wft) but what I do know is that any kind of rates reform will work out more expensive. You should all shut up and keep the status quo

Absolutely, in the words of Yazz and the plastic population "the only way is up"

12 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

You say that but I know of someone whose rates (property tax) is the thick end of 3grand whereas another with a similar gaff and more land pays two thirds of very little.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

If our ratable value is about £140, So we pay 140 X 400 = £560. How is that hard to understand .?

10 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

If our ratable value is about £140, So we pay 140 X 400 = £560. How is that hard to understand .?

Deliberate obfuscation!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, finlo said:

Deliberate obfuscation!

Pennies.

5 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I think the problem is how they work out your ratable value

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Pennies.

Really,  Why all the bullshit terminology then !

Just now, TheTeapot said:

I think the problem is how they work out your ratable value

Size of property and cost of services