Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
hissingsid

Rate reform

It would have been easier just to give the fella a "Lifetime Free Pass" for the motor boats and crazy golf in the park. Would save all this hush hush nonsense.:thumbsup:

Why do farms pay much less in Rates? Don't their bins get emptied?

10 minutes ago, Burt said:

They don't use much water either;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Burt said:

That's what I was alluding to in my previous post , if you have a big gaff get a really big garden and call it a farm (which can be an additional nice little earner in 'grants') you seem to pay less Rates (property tax) than a similar gaff with a smaller garden.

2 hours ago, paswt said:

That's what I was alluding to in my previous post , if you have a big gaff get a really big garden and call it a farm (which can be an additional nice little earner in 'grants') you seem to pay less Rates (property tax) than a similar gaff with a smaller garden.

But why? What do they do that deserves a rates discount?

2 hours ago, paswt said:

I read somewhere that many converted former farms are paying something like £100 a year in rates due to the antiquated system we have. The biggest ratepayers seem to be those who have average sized houses in Douglas. 

11 minutes ago, MrPB said:

I read somewhere that many converted former farms are paying something like £100 a year in rates due to the antiquated system we have. The biggest ratepayers seem to be those who have average sized houses in Douglas. 

Actually Douglas has possibly the cheapest rates out of all the major towns here.

7 minutes ago, finlo said:

Actually Douglas has possibly the cheapest rates out of all the major towns here.

Are they? I’m paying well over £1000 a year on a rental house in Douglas. Are Ramsey or Southern rates as high? 

Edited by MrPB

35 minutes ago, MrPB said:

Are they? I’m paying well over £1000 a year on a rental house in Douglas. Are Ramsey or Southern rates as high? 

Yep £1200-£1500 seem about the norm.

• Like 3

I been told that KWC school pays as much rates as a 3 bed house in Janet’s corner because it’s registered as a charity, that is so morally wrong if true those are people who can afford but don’t pay there fair dues.

Edited by GreyWolf

10 hours ago, Burt said:

But why? What do they do that deserves a rates discount?

Traditionally lots of farmers in Govt down the years.....and all on their uppers.

Apparently.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Burt said:

they tend to lack street lighting .

Do the various tax-exempt cults pay rates on their churches? 

5 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

When I lived in Onchan I was all in favour of an all Island rates system but now I am in Arbory you can all sod off.

Were you paying the very thick end of £3000.00 last year, as was  a friend of mine  for the privilege  of living in Onchan?:lol::flowers: