Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Manx Bean

Do qualifications matter?

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Perhaps Albert means that the LAs use Govt transfer of costs from Central Govt as the excuse for rate increase rather than finding savings from their own ( perhaps ) ego driven projects?

I am a Douglas rate payer and have no problem with what they are doing or how they are doing it.

Listen to that Agenda item. ( on MR )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Sorry, but I don't agree. 

I tried to link tonight's "Agenda" prog but failed. Worth a listen.

You need to see through the obfuscation of one blaming the other in all these things.

They rely on Joe Public believing them...and not looking into the details.

ETA: Numerous LA'S need to merge and downsize.

Edited by Albert Tatlock
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

You need to see through the obfuscation of one blaming the other in all these things.

They rely on Joe Public believing them...and not looking into the details.

Albert, do you hate everything about government be it local or national ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is another thread about 'Rates Reform', if we had 4 + 1 LAs, would they have more power to resist these Govt transfers? Would the other 4 have said, ' NO ', don't spend 30mil quid on Dlas prom?

Perhaps why reform is rather slow?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Albert, do you hate everything about government be it local or national ?

I abhor waste and incompetence...and being made to pay more and more towards it each and every year...and daft people that collectively can't be arsed to change things.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Kopek said:

The LAs KNOW that these charges are going to come but do not budget for them.

I do disagree with the transfer of traditional Central Govt costs onto LAs.

Particularly when taxpayers are still paying Central Govt as well.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I am a Douglas rate payer and have no problem with what they are doing or how they are doing it.

Try living in Ramsey following recent announcements...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, they don't matter, but unfortunately people who *think* qualifications matter call the shots and have pushed these minimum requirements both in government and the private sector. With large institutions it's all got to be done in a uniform way so although corruption is rife everywhere (government and private sector) they still have to tick these boxes with no room for much logical discretion.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

No, they don't matter, but unfortunately people who *think* qualifications matter call the shots and have pushed these minimum requirements both in government and the private sector. With large institutions it's all got to be done in a uniform way so although corruption is rife everywhere (government and private sector) they still have to tick these boxes with no room for much logical discretion.

Bloody hell TJ, you are sounding sadder of late.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rushen Spy said:

I'm not TJ, you nutter.

OK, ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Supamanx said:

I left school at 14, worked in an accountants office until I got bored and joined the RAF at 19, I served 22 years and reached a high level as a senior nco, when I retired and returned to the Island there was a job advertised in the tourist board, the post required 4 ‘o’ levels, despite my service history and being Manx born I wasn’t considered as I only had 2 O levels ! The rank I attained required more than any O levels but the rules said 4 O levels. 

My wife was employed as a temp with the government for over two years. When a job came vacant that she had been doing for over two years came up, she was ignored because she didn’t have the “required 4 O levels”. Remember, it’s not what you know but who you know

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, PmJ said:

My wife was employed as a temp with the government for over two years. When a job came vacant that she had been doing for over two years came up, she was ignored because she didn’t have the “required 4 O levels”. Remember, it’s not what you know but who you know

But they were / are the rules. Temps do not and cannot get promotion to more senior positions, so their GCSE's ( or lack of them ) are not taken into account. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Try living in Ramsey following recent announcements...

to be fair it was a worthless shit hole before the rate rise announcement .

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×