Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
PmJ

Understanding the Law

21 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Isn’t it just the paper regurgitating their article on line from the print edition on 7 February? Nothing new?

I don't buy the local papers so I don't know.

1 minute ago, PmJ said:

I don't buy the local papers so I don't know.

It’s copied in the link in the very first post, made by you!

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No it's not. The link I posted was a short resume of what was in the papers. The latest link is a more detailed description of what happened

ETA - Happy to accept your apology

Edited by PmJ
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, PmJ said:

No it's not. The link I posted was a short resume of what was in the papers. The latest link is a more detailed description of what happened

ETA - Happy to accept your apology

Yes it is.

5B77798B-1793-4750-AD9B-2DDA69FC5EA9.png

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Yes it is.

5B77798B-1793-4750-AD9B-2DDA69FC5EA9.png

Did you bother to read my last comment or were you too eager to rush off and try to prove a point that isn't there. To make it easier for you, I have cut and pasted the latest link that I added

The father of a teenager who has raised thousands for charity has spoken of his anger after his son’s customised bike was seized by police.

Jake Hodgson, 13, who is a Young Ambassador for Hospice Isle of Man, built the bike as part of his Duke of Edinburgh award, but had it confiscated at the weekend for possible infringements of Road Traffic regulations.

His hybrid machine is a mountain bike with road tyres which is fitted with a small, low-powered, petrol motor for off-roading.

Police have sent the bike for testing at the Vehicle Examination Centre.

Dad Craig said: ’Jake does so much for charity and is always out and about. He’s not sitting at home doing nothing. He’s shown initiative for his DoE award and then gets pulled over for something like this. It just makes me angry.’

Ballakermeen High School student Jake had been building his bike since November.

Having recently completed it, he had been testing it out, making sure he used its manual pedals when he was on open roads.

On Sunday morning, he had got up early and ridden his bike along Marine Drive, where he said he did use the engine while on the closed road section, but had switched it off again before returning to public roads.

He then cycled into town and had his breakfast in The Caff in Lord Street at about 9am.

Jake said from his home in Douglas: ’I was sitting having my breakfast and talking to people when I noticed that a police van had pulled into the car park by Barbary Coast.

’That van was joined by a second and two officers came over, looked at the bike and came inside.

’Because I was the only one with cycling gear, they asked me if it was my bike.

’I said it was and they asked me to go outside and talk about it.’

Jake said the officers, one female, one male, spoke to him about his bike and said he had been reported for driving a modified petrol bike.

Having never been in trouble with the police before, he said, he panicked and admitted he had been riding the bike with the engine on, but was never asked where this was.

Jake added: ’One of the officers told me "we’ll have to take your bike to Douglas police station" which the male officer did.

’The female officer said I could finish my breakfast, so I gulped down my tea and she took me home.’

When he got home, Jake’s parents, both driving instructors, were told what had happened by the officer.

Jake’s father Craig said: ’He admitted he had the engine on, fair enough, but they never asked him where, which if they would have done they would have known it was off-road.

’But more importantly, they questioned a 13-year-old on the pavement outside a cafe without his parents there, which I don’t think they can do.

’The officer who came to the door said it was "nothing to worry about" and that the bike should be back to us that afternoon, but they still haven’t contacted us.’

Mr Hodgson said that when he rang to ask what had happened to the bike, a sergeant on duty told him: ’Jake had admitted riding the bike with the engine on and could be facing a quite a number of offences which could be dealt with by the youth justice service’.

He added: ’He’s a kid who only uses the engine off-road.

’If he was constantly in trouble then I’d probably understand, but he’s never been in trouble before.

’There are officers who go into schools and do so much good in the community and getting teenagers on side.

’But then things like this can so easily undo that work.’

Not be deterred by the morning’s events, Jake spent his Sunday afternoon at Tesco bag packing to raise money for Hospice Isle of Man.

He has raised nearly £9,000 for so far.

A police spokesman said Jake’s bike had been taken away for testing at the Vehicle Examination Centre in Tromode.

He said because it is fitted with a petrol engine it would be classed as a mechanically propelled vehicle under the Road Traffic regulations.

The owner would need a licence and insurance and the vehicle would need to be fitted with a suitable braking system, the spokesman said.

Can you see the difference?

8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It look like the OP has a personal issue with the driving instructor to be honest. 

5 minutes ago, PmJ said:

Did you bother to read my last comment or were you too eager to rush off and try to prove a point that isn't there. To make it easier for you, I have cut and pasted the latest link that I added

The father of a teenager who has raised thousands for charity has spoken of his anger after his son’s customised bike was seized by police.

Jake Hodgson, 13, who is a Young Ambassador for Hospice Isle of Man, built the bike as part of his Duke of Edinburgh award, but had it confiscated at the weekend for possible infringements of Road Traffic regulations.

His hybrid machine is a mountain bike with road tyres which is fitted with a small, low-powered, petrol motor for off-roading.

Police have sent the bike for testing at the Vehicle Examination Centre.

Dad Craig said: ’Jake does so much for charity and is always out and about. He’s not sitting at home doing nothing. He’s shown initiative for his DoE award and then gets pulled over for something like this. It just makes me angry.’

Ballakermeen High School student Jake had been building his bike since November.

Having recently completed it, he had been testing it out, making sure he used its manual pedals when he was on open roads.

On Sunday morning, he had got up early and ridden his bike along Marine Drive, where he said he did use the engine while on the closed road section, but had switched it off again before returning to public roads.

He then cycled into town and had his breakfast in The Caff in Lord Street at about 9am.

Jake said from his home in Douglas: ’I was sitting having my breakfast and talking to people when I noticed that a police van had pulled into the car park by Barbary Coast.

’That van was joined by a second and two officers came over, looked at the bike and came inside.

’Because I was the only one with cycling gear, they asked me if it was my bike.

’I said it was and they asked me to go outside and talk about it.’

Jake said the officers, one female, one male, spoke to him about his bike and said he had been reported for driving a modified petrol bike.

Having never been in trouble with the police before, he said, he panicked and admitted he had been riding the bike with the engine on, but was never asked where this was.

Jake added: ’One of the officers told me "we’ll have to take your bike to Douglas police station" which the male officer did.

’The female officer said I could finish my breakfast, so I gulped down my tea and she took me home.’

When he got home, Jake’s parents, both driving instructors, were told what had happened by the officer.

Jake’s father Craig said: ’He admitted he had the engine on, fair enough, but they never asked him where, which if they would have done they would have known it was off-road.

’But more importantly, they questioned a 13-year-old on the pavement outside a cafe without his parents there, which I don’t think they can do.

’The officer who came to the door said it was "nothing to worry about" and that the bike should be back to us that afternoon, but they still haven’t contacted us.’

Mr Hodgson said that when he rang to ask what had happened to the bike, a sergeant on duty told him: ’Jake had admitted riding the bike with the engine on and could be facing a quite a number of offences which could be dealt with by the youth justice service’.

He added: ’He’s a kid who only uses the engine off-road.

’If he was constantly in trouble then I’d probably understand, but he’s never been in trouble before.

’There are officers who go into schools and do so much good in the community and getting teenagers on side.

’But then things like this can so easily undo that work.’

Not be deterred by the morning’s events, Jake spent his Sunday afternoon at Tesco bag packing to raise money for Hospice Isle of Man.

He has raised nearly £9,000 for so far.

A police spokesman said Jake’s bike had been taken away for testing at the Vehicle Examination Centre in Tromode.

He said because it is fitted with a petrol engine it would be classed as a mechanically propelled vehicle under the Road Traffic regulations.

The owner would need a licence and insurance and the vehicle would need to be fitted with a suitable braking system, the spokesman said.

Can you see the difference?

It’s word for word the same as what is printed in the paper, on the front page, and readily readable in the link you provided Neil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s word for word the same as what is printed in the paper, on the front page, and readily readable in the link you provided Neil

You just can't admit when you are wrong can you Frank

1 hour ago, PmJ said:

You just can't admit when you are wrong can you Frank

JW is not wrong though 

It is word for word. The paper story was on two separate pages and is exactly the same piece.

10 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

JW is not wrong though 

It is word for word. The paper story was on two separate pages and is exactly the same piece.

Thanks dilli.

27 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

JW is not wrong though 

Be that as it may Dilli, I haven't read the story in the paper as I don't buy the paper. My OP was based on the headlines section of News online. It does not contain the full story in that clip. Let's just agree to disagree on this one.

I'll still accept JW's apology though

• Like 1

I think you may be waiting for some time :flowers:

That said I've had an apology from TJ and Neil D and Donald has conceded he had it wrong in another thread , no shame in admitting you're wrong IMHO:)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, paswt said:

I think you may be waiting for some time :flowers:

That said I've had an apology from TJ and Neil D and Donald has conceded he had it wrong in another thread , no shame in admitting you're wrong IMHO:)

I fear you could be correct. Some people find it easier to snipe than to apologise.

Wow, no wonder people thing you're Neil down, you're an absolute idiot.

What exactly is it that you want an apology for? Someone pointing out the truth? You, today, have posted the link to the article and commented 

"his dad apparently doesn't know when to keep schtumm"

but it is the exact same article that was in the paper days ago. "I don't know I don't read the papers", you're an idiot. 

1 hour ago, PmJ said:

Be that as it may Dilli, I haven't read the story in the paper as I don't buy the paper. My OP was based on the headlines section of News online. It does not contain the full story in that clip. Let's just agree to disagree on this one.

I'll still accept JW's apology though

Teapot, the headline section of News online gave a paucity of detail ,  the full SP  was in the paper .

Have to say that JW can be a bit abrasive and condescending ( perhaps part of the stock in trade of members of the legal profession :lol::flowers: , my son is a barrister across:lol:)

Personally I feel that   folk spuriously(?) identifying posters  in order to demean their contributions unhelpful , it's one thing to venture to suggest a similarity in posting style.........but .....

Just saying 

Edited by paswt
  • Thanks 1