Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
PmJ

Understanding the Law

2 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

There isn’t anybody employed to do that.

Who runs the numerous Twitter feeds and the various Facebook pages then? 

10 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

and regardless of the rights or wrongs and facts of the matter, I’m sure any of us in dads shoes would be a bit angry.

hopefully the cops will take a pragmatic approach. The young lad involved seems to be an all round good egg.

Probably got baggage around his neck putting him on par with Hannibal Lecter!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Who runs the numerous Twitter feeds and the various Facebook pages then? 

Cops. In between donuts and policework. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

They can’t do much police work between pumping out 15 hours worth of shite on Twitter! ;)

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1

A four man Bob can go faster than a two man |Bob. Does that mean that a copper full of donuts will do 75mph down from the Creg? Two fingers up th e the speed traps?

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

and regardless of the rights or wrongs and facts of the matter, I’m sure any of us in dads shoes would be a bit angry.

hopefully the cops will take a pragmatic approach. The young lad involved seems to be an all round good egg.

The lad has done a sterling job in raising ££££££ for charity and is obviously a smart kid.

However, The massive coverage in the press is laughable, with the pics of him with parish walkers and ex deemsters.

What if a young fella from Pully had done this ?

I'm sorry, but it is the Dad's fault here as he clearly knew traffic law, through his training and if he didn't, he should not be a driving instructor. 

Edited by dilligaf
added an "it" to post.
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

The lad has done a sterling job in raising ££££££ for charity and is obviously a smart kid.

However, The massive coverage in the press is laughable, with the pics of him with parish walkers and ex deemsters.

What if a young fella from Pully had done this ?

I'm sorry, but is the Dad's fault here as he clearly knew traffic law, through his training and if he didn't, he should not be a driving instructor. 

Could possibly explain why driving standards have dropped if he’s an example of a driving instructor.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kopek said:

A four man Bob can go faster than a two man |Bob. Does that mean that a copper full of donuts will do 75mph down from the Creg? Two fingers up th e the speed traps?

Now that could be a tourist attraction, the next "manx winter olimpics", down sneafell on a bob slieh ?

They've already tried it with Trams! Why not?

2 hours ago, LightBulb said:

Now that could be a tourist attraction, the next "manx winter olimpics", down sneafell on a bob slieh ?

No snow may hinder progress on that.

On 2/7/2019 at 9:06 PM, Derek Flint said:

It generally takes a couple of minutes to tap something out on social media. The Constabulary Media Page on Facebook (which also used to be linked to @iompolice on Twitter)is still probably the best source of real time information on the Island.

As for the individual accounts, the cops are communicating with the public in a lot wider perspective by doing it this way. I’d argue that the public are now better informed and engaged with the force than they were say, 10years ago.

And to think of the uphill struggle I had to convince the top corridor that it was actually a good idea! At least they went with it in the end, and despite trying to over police it internally at one stage, it’s gone pretty well. 

15 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

It generally takes a couple of minutes to tap something out on social media. The Constabulary Media Page on Facebook (which also used to be linked to @iompolice on Twitter)is still probably the best source of real time information on the Island.

As for the individual accounts, the cops are communicating with the public in a lot wider perspective by doing it this way. I’d argue that the public are now better informed and engaged with the force than they were say, 10years ago.

And to think of the uphill struggle I had to convince the top corridor that it was actually a good idea! At least they went with it in the end, and despite trying to over police it internally at one stage, it’s gone pretty well. 

It's definitely a good idea, the updates when the weather is shit can be really useful. Here's another good idea, remind the officers who are posting that these are very public announcements and that they should check, check and check again before hitting post. The standard of English used is frequently poor.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

It's definitely a good idea, the updates when the weather is shit can be really useful. Here's another good idea, remind the officers who are posting that these are very public announcements and that they should check, check and check again before hitting post. The standard of English used is frequently poor.

They could be training for a job at Isle of Man Newspapers.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 9:49 PM, PmJ said:

Could possibly explain why driving standards have dropped if he’s an example of a driving instructor.

Why would anything he’s said have any bearing on his ability to teach people to drive? 

12 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Why would anything he’s said have any bearing on his ability to teach people to drive? 

I was referring to the fact that he should know the law relating to what a child can and cannot use on the road. I did quite clearly state "if he's an example"