Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
craggy_steve

£400K to seduce immigrants

On 2/10/2019 at 4:54 PM, craggy_steve said:

https://www.gumtree.com/property-to-rent/london/bedsit

Yes you can get crappy single bedsits in Central London for £150 pw or £600 pcm. Rushen Spy is correct.

I've no idea what the equivalent would cost on the IoM but £600 pcm will get you a 1 double-bed flat + lounge + bathroom + kitchen so not like for like, the same dosh in Central Douglas gets you much more

https://manxliving.com/search-result/page/2/?search_property_type=rent&search_type&search_keywords&search_bedroom&search_agent&search_price=0%3B600

This is where any comparison becomes a complete nonsense.

Accomodation in London is scarce hence exploitation is rife. Rooms are partitioned and so forth and really squalid but the tenants daren't complain due to lack of alternatives. They also sign away their basic tenancy rights because it's "engineered" as being something other than a short term tenancy. Basically they get away with it because of the size of the problem.

Hence: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/25/london-tenants-rights-rent-controls-sadiq-khan

You couldn't, or shouldn't, be able to get away with such practices in Douglas.....

How about upstairs in KFC...? :lol: :ph34r:

On 2/8/2019 at 6:11 PM, Non-Believer said:

Says something when we've got to offer sweeteners (or even "bribes"?) to try and attract people to come here.

As Albert says, it's a massive admission of failure that we would appear to be able little else attractive enough to entice the people that we purport to need so badly?

I see we are now touting this £400k taxpayer ‘bung’ around all over social media like we’re proud to be bribing people to give the IOM a try. Skelly really is clueless. 

A member has had a read through the Locate document & says it doesn't actually mention the figure £400k

The source for this amount is apparently the newsfeed of the nation's station

Can't myself find any company willing to admit it is unable to hire staff

27 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

A member has had a read through the Locate document & says it doesn't actually mention the figure £400k

If you look at it, it appears to be the usual mixture of bullshit and throwing money at your mates (Chamber of Commerce, employment agencies).  And of course the main purpose is to keep the ever-expanding management at Enterprise and Cabinet Office in the style to which they have become accustomed.  I doubt £400k will go far.

• Like 1

And on a similar mate's theme, I see from iomtoday that the AG has generously decided to defer his retirement for another couple of years.

Must be a few good mouthfuls still in that big, big trough.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

And on a similar mate's theme, I see from iomtoday that the AG has generously decided to defer his retirement for another couple of years.

Must be a few good mouthfuls still in that big, big trough.

Or there are things which need to be dealt with in that time frame !

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

I think the number comes from the fact they mentioned some i time like £225,000 had been put away for the initial scheme in a press release somewhere and now it’s been increased to allow for a maximum of x many applicants at a maximum of £10,000 each. 

• Like 1