Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
craggy_steve

£400K to seduce immigrants

Recommended Posts

3. Isle of Man salaries are 19% than UK salaries.

that is the way it is written on the Locate.im webesite (10 reasons to move here)

so I suppose you can read it either way. But presuming they mean 19% higher, why are we having to spend even more to entice workers to come. 

I noticed a considerable difference when I transferred many years ago, but we had higher allowances (legacy, now gone) really good mortgage interest relief and much lower taxation.

im not sure anyone moving from the North of England would notice any tangible benefit today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

3. Isle of Man salaries are 19% than UK salaries.

that is the way it is written on the Locate.im webesite (10 reasons to move here)

so I suppose you can read it either way. But presuming they mean 19% higher, why are we having to spend even more to entice workers to come. 

I noticed a considerable difference when I transferred many years ago, but we had higher allowances (legacy, now gone) really good mortgage interest relief and much lower taxation.

im not sure anyone moving from the North of England would notice any tangible benefit today.

While we're on stats, the very last section in the strategy is called Measuring Success... and then offers a wishlist without publishing either any quantifiable target metrics, nor where we are starting from.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dilligaf said:

I've never lived there so can only rely on friends info, but I know of nothing in London that is cheaper than over here. ( apart from talk )

Last time I was down there I bought some quality wine from a local deli & it was much cheaper than ShopRite

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

3. Isle of Man salaries are 19% than UK salaries.

 

who knew?

How about,

"3. Isle of Man salaries for years were 19% of UK salaries"...?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything that I would class as "living" (food, shelter, clothing, transportation, electricity, telecommunications, internet, drink) is cheaper in London. Yes, I said shelter. People take the extremes of London and compare it to the average here, but the average in London is a lot lower than the average here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would expect anyone who was considering moving over here would look at work prospects, housing, health services and schools.    When are health services get sufficient money to properly look after the population that would tick one box, as for schools they seem fine , housing, well depending where you are moving from it could be on par or more costly so that leaves work prospects, I would suspect this is the stumbling block, although, initially, a good job could be obtained if for any reason it folded or there was no room for promotion in that firm there would be a lot less scope to move to another position in a similar workplace e.g. Nobles, if you did not enjoy working there then there is not another hospital to move to as there is across.   I am just using this as an example so not a great chance to improve your circumstances through promotion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Everything that I would class as "living" (food, shelter, clothing, transportation, electricity, telecommunications, internet, drink) is cheaper in London. Yes, I said shelter. People take the extremes of London and compare it to the average here, but the average in London is a lot lower than the average here.

I wouldn’t agree on shelter, but do on everything else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I wouldn’t agree on shelter, but do on everything else. 

I am friends with a property owner in central London who rents out to people and he has a number of tenants on benefits who manage to live there.

Sh!tty slums are no more expensive here than a sh!tty slum in London. If we are comparing suburban housing with suburban housing then I think the suburbs or outer areas of London are more expensive, for good reason, but in the inner city the slums and low quality housing stock is not much different to here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

I am friends with a property owner in central London who rents out to people and he has a number of tenants on benefits who manage to live there.

Sh!tty slums are no more expensive here than a sh!tty slum in London. If we are comparing suburban housing with suburban housing then I think the suburbs or outer areas of London are more expensive, for good reason, but in the inner city the slums and low quality housing stock is not much different to here.

Where are the shitty inner city slums in central London?

You can only afford to live in “inner city” London if you are wealthy or are lucky enough to have local authority, social or housing association accommodation.

But, Yes, Douglas is overpriced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dilligaf said:

I've never lived there so can only rely on friends info, but I know of nothing in London that is cheaper than over here. ( apart from talk )

Restaurants, supermarkets, transportation...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

I am friends with a property owner in central London who rents out to people and he has a number of tenants on benefits who manage to live there.

Nor am I.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Where are the shitty inner city slums in central London?

You can only afford to live in “inner city” London if you are wealthy or are lucky enough to have local authority, social or housing association accommodation.

But, Yes, Douglas is overpriced.

Try walking away from the main shopping streets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rushen Spy said:

Try walking away from the main shopping streets.

No, please specify which boroughs and parishes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No, please specify which boroughs and parishes.

All of them. You can go to Piccadilly Circus, Oxford Street, Baker Street, the BBC headquarters, the British Museum, and just walk five minutes in any direction away from main streets into side streets and find people living in rented accommodation including run down places that are < £600 per month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...