Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
craggy_steve

£400K to seduce immigrants

20 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

I'm not TJ, you colossal dingbat.

Steady , if PK says you are TJ then you must be telling lies in denying that "PK fact" .:lol:.......... well according to 'them' :whistling: (or as most would say "him")

There are small little one bedroom flats in Douglas that are £1,000 or more per month and a lot of them are pretty dire looking, unfurnished, and the areas rife with druggies. I don't know how they can keep a straight face asking for this.

1 minute ago, paswt said:

Steady , if PK says you are TJ then you must be telling lies in denying that "PK fact" .:lol:.......... well according to 'them' :whistling: (or as most would say "him")

Or as most of us refer to him when we meet up, P[ric]K.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MrPB said:

Perhaps it’s about perception and reality? I’m sure nobody has made up the weather in Malta compared to the UK. It’s a verifiable fact. Just like people who want to move to Dubai for better weather. Whereas a lot of the positive points said about the IOM often dont seem to translate to reality 

Low tax - not really

Good schools - we won’t benchmark them

Low cost of living - not after you’ve lived here 6 months

Good services - no 

Great air links - not really

Good quality of life - not especially 

My assumption has always been that other places have the ability to follow through on what they put on websites to attract people over. Otherwise they wouldn’t be retaining new residents. 

I desired to move to a warmer climate when I left the UK, but my better half didn't. Not everyone appreciates hot hot or cold cold.

Tax advantages feel better the more you earn, Joe Average is not going to notice much difference.

State schools in IoM are up to scratch compared with average UK, but different. I do some voluntary stuff with 6th form here and I think the IoM schools do output a better, rounder, nicer, product irrespective of exam pass rates.

Cost of living is generally higher, except rates / council tax. Property just depends where you compare with. 

Services here are generally comparable or superior in my experience (yours may differ). Some are very superior.

Air links are crap - very poor air transport strategy.

Quality of life - generally much better on the IoM unless you desire city life.

IoM has a good story to tell, that's why half the population are come- / stop-overs.  

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, craggy_steve said:

https://www.gumtree.com/property-to-rent/london/bedsit

Yes you can get crappy single bedsits in Central London for £150 pw or £600 pcm. Rushen Spy is correct.

I've no idea what the equivalent would cost on the IoM but £600 pcm will get you a 1 double-bed flat + lounge + bathroom + kitchen so not like for like, the same dosh in Central Douglas gets you much more

https://manxliving.com/search-result/page/2/?search_property_type=rent&search_type&search_keywords&search_bedroom&search_agent&search_price=0%3B600

Fair comment , I lived in central London from 1978  till 2002 , crappy accommodation was available cheap , for cash,  (  eg  a bedsit in a crappy unlicensed "house in multiple occupation) . 

That said property prices have increased considerably , eg  a property on 5 floors in Islington (Holloway) with a sitting tenant occupying 3 floors could be bought for 7-8 K, back in 78. 

A similar adjacent property (with vacant possession ) in 1999 was sold for 120 K. value today about 1.5 million .

Just saying:flowers:

24 minutes ago, craggy_steve said:

Air links are crap - very poor air transport strategy.

There's a strategy?

I didn't know that....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I didn't know that....

:lol: 

2 minutes ago, P.K. said:

There's a strategy?

I didn't know that....

Open Skies (see page 30) = Any airline can come here and compete on the routes they want, undercut the incumbents and ignore the minor links. Cheap fares for the mass market in big jets to the big hubs and sod all use for anything else. Yorkshire or Northumberland on business - fly to Manchester. East Anglia - fly to Brum. Bristol for the South West - yeah but you've got to stay for the whole week. etc. That's the Strategy. That's why they extended the runway - to make it safe for the big jets. 

Manx Airlines, EuroManx, and now Flybe - all gone or going. Regional links don't work unless you protect them, which is the opposite of Open Skies. Our air links are buggered as a direct result of Gov't policy.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

I'm not TJ, you colossal dingbat.

Do you have a twin brother? 

Who by a massive oversight in Maternity ended up with you both being separated for life?

And by some amazing serendipitous quirk of cruel fate you've ended up both posting on the same public forum?

That just MUST be the explanation for this phenomenon....

• Like 1

Yes, truly mind boggling how two people who live in the Isle of Man could both join this forum. Surely it can't be a coincidence?

Nobody is saying that he is TJ. Just that he is the same person who for a while posted as TJ.

Same as I can say without lying that I'm not Pongo.

@craggy_steve - I get 3 or 4 Linkedin things a week offering me ~£50K. It's spam, they've no idea what I am currently earning. Like the paid parking guy who everyone is blocking.

Edited by pongo

41 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:
42 minutes ago, pongo said:

Same as I can say without lying that I'm not Pongo.

Okay, PK.

Does not have the "ring" to it though.

3 hours ago, craggy_steve said:

Yes you can get crappy single bedsits in Central London for £150 pw or £600 pcm. Rushen Spy is correct.

:)

• Haha 1