Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Donald Trumps

Year Of Our Island

Figured I'd give a plug for the final event of this non event seeing as you might not be aware. It is this weekend, another 'Festival of Light', this time in Ramsey. I won't be going because a) its in Ramsey and b) the Castletown one was a bit rubbish. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Figured I'd give a plug for the final event of this non event seeing as you might not be aware. It is this weekend, another 'Festival of Light', this time in Ramsey. I won't be going because a) its in Ramsey and b) the Castletown one was a bit rubbish. 

Will I be able to see it from the pub?

• Haha 1

I've no idea, don't know exactly which part of Ramsey they're planning to illuminate. Or which pub you'll be in.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Get yourself up, you'll be able to listen the the TT on FM while your there.

• Haha 1

Finally the rainbow Year of our Island comes to an end, culminating with the torching of Ramsey, first thing they got right.

• Haha 1

Year of our island what’s all this about? Sic

My learned fellow forum people am I right in thinking this scheme had a decent sized budget of which only 75k was spent and run by two  servants probably costing at least that amount to do whatever they did, seems a complete waste of money to me why not just dole money out to local authorities who then can ask the public for ideas or already established groups instead of creating another two none jobs, I may have missed something but full of flu and haven’t the patience to read whole thread sorry guys n girls.

• Thanks 1

Festival of Light has unfortunate connotations for people my age. Mary Whitehouse, Malcom Muggeridge, Frank Longford, bibles, burning crosses, censorship, demonstrations against permissiveness, films, theatre, tv. Witch hunts. Private prosecutions.

Bit like Living Hope and Peel art Installations.

Whoever thought snowflakism and being easily offended was a 20teens phenomenenon needs to look at the 60’s/70’s.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GreyWolf said:

why not just dole money out to local authorities who then can ask the public for ideas 

Douglas - chewing gum machine

Ramsey - Courthouse

Castletown - bollardgate

The reason Mr Wolf is that local authorities spunk money away quicker than Vinnie Lynch at a kitchen window

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Ramsey - Courthouse

Castletown - bollardgate

The reason Mr Wolf is that local authorities spunk money away quicker than Vinnie Lynch at a kitchen window

Yet they're all so quick to remind us that they're much more cost-effective and efficient than central govt, which they say justifies their existence?

Which one is telling porkies?

12 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Castletown - bollardgate

Given up on those by the looks of things, been down for months.

21 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Given up on those by the looks of things, been down for months.

Weren't the bollards a Brown-instigated Central Govt expenditure rather than a Castletown Commissioners blow-out?

3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I’m unable to comment with absolute authority as I wasn’t there, but comments made to me by a number of people who were suggest that your use of “ a bit” was superfluous.

• Haha 1

Quayle leaving wouldn't be a good thing in my opinion. While Cannan and Thomas would both be better Chief Ministers, Quayle being there longer means those two will also be there longer (as most who do become Chief Minister don't seem to stay for long). Unfortunately, there's nobody else in Tynwald qualified to succeed them, so they need to stay as long as possible.

2 hours ago, piebaps said:

Ramsey - Courthouse

Castletown - bollardgate

Douglas - town hall (again) wonder who is painting it

Peel - knock down the wall, rebuild the wall