Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Donald Trumps

Year Of Our Island

On 2/17/2019 at 8:29 PM, pongo said:

Shit needs paying for.

Shit facist, set the shits free, let them reconnect with the soil rather than pump them round all over and then trickle them out in the sea.. 

35 minutes ago, CharlieBrown said:

Shit facist, set the shits free

let them reconnect with the soil

rather than pump them round all over and then trickle them

out in the sea..  

Poetic.

On 2/17/2019 at 8:29 PM, pongo said:

I definitely approve of us all paying more for better services

I don't. Not "all" people should have to pay more for social advancements. People on low incomes should be paying less, if society itself is to advance.

Also, in reality we're receiving year on year reduction in quality of service, so it's fairly daft to expect us to pay for "better" services.

I keeping with the rest of this event tonights Festival of Light is a little half arsed. Still, I'm sure Luminaires did alright out of it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I keeping with the rest of this event tonights Festival of Light is a little half arsed. Still, I'm sure Luminaires did alright out of it.

And by implication, Mr Peake MHK?

• Haha 1

On 2/18/2019 at 2:17 AM, Roger Mexico said:

Actually I feel slightly sorry for Thomas in this particular case.  The whole Year of Our Island fiasco was originally dreamt up by Quayle (who  did nothing about it) who then got Skelly to organise it (who did nothing about it) and the mess got dumped on Thomas at the last minute - as I explained in a comment at the start of last year:

Sorry? Very generous of you Roger. Lie down with dogs, get up with fleas no.

A decent politician would've said 'sorry lads, I can't carry the can for this, it's simply a terrible idea and a total waste of much needed public money. I suggest you pull the plug now, quietly let it die and hope nobody notices. If they do, have a short honest apology ready. Good luck.' NOT, bite the bullet, set the course, turn the bullshit machine up to 11 and just keep sailing. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

The problem with Chris Thomas is he is unusual in Tynwald in that he has more than a couple of brain cells, plus he is a pleasant type of guy who  is willing to help. Hence he is being given all the shitty sticks to carry.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, gettafa said:

The problem with Chris Thomas is he is unusual in Tynwald in that he has more than a couple of brain cells, plus he is a pleasant type of guy who  is willing to help. Hence he is being given all the shitty sticks to carry.

He's an Oxford PPE Grad, not a fool. The ability to just keep talking isn't a quirk, and to be fair it's served him well so far. Doesn't mean it's in our interest, but that doesn't matter. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, maynragh said:

decent politician would've said 'sorry lads, I can't carry the can for this, it's simply a terrible idea and a total waste of much needed public money. I suggest you pull the plug now, quietly let it die and hope nobody notices. If they do, have a short honest apology ready. Good luck.' NOT, bite the bullet, set the course, turn the bullshit machine up to 11 and just keep sailing. 

On the contrary - it's exactly what a skilled politician would do.  Saving the Chief Minister's pet project is going to get you brownie points and if it goes wrong you can always plausibly blame Skelly and his minions for creating the mess through their inactivity. And compared to most of the terrible ideas that come out of Prospect Hill it was quite cheap - mainly because it consisted of pointing to stuff that other people were doing and claiming credit.  Denouncing everything as complete bullshit isn't going to make you any friends - especially if it happens to be true.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

On the contrary - it's exactly what a skilled politician would do.  Saving the Chief Minister's pet project is going to get you brownie points and if it goes wrong you can always plausibly blame Skelly and his minions for creating the mess through their inactivity. And compared to most of the terrible ideas that come out of Prospect Hill it was quite cheap - mainly because it consisted of pointing to stuff that other people were doing and claiming credit.  Denouncing everything as complete bullshit isn't going to make you any friends - especially if it happens to be true.

There's clearly a difference between 'decent' and 'skilled' :-)

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, gettafa said:

I agree with that and I do think he got the shitty end of the stick with YoOI as pretty much it was a clusterfuck of disinterest from day-one. But someone had to deliver it for Howard as nobody else seemed interested (as evidenced by the rest of the year which was pretty much civil servants taking credit for a whole pile of events organized by other people which were largely going to happen anyway and filling in the blanks by paying people to put on more events with public cash!) A monkey could have organized it really and it was still a disaster because a monkey is generally better at doing these things than a civil servant on £40k a year whose actual job is to manage events and put together entertainment programmes. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

I would have told Howard to fuck off myself

• Haha 1