Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Donald Trumps

Year Of Our Island

On 2/10/2019 at 9:58 AM, Donald Trumps said:

Minister Thomas explains the ethos behind 'Year of Our Island' and www.locate.im to Mr Martin Moore

yearofourislandscreenshot-www.facebook.com-2019-02-10-09-54-53-583.png

Sorry to be a tad late in my response to Mr Thomas’ amusing comparison of his Year of the Island with the 1951 Festival of Britain.  I doubt he was yet born by that time, the penultimate year of the King’s reign.  I remember being taken by my father to the South Bank, where the Festival Hall survives.  I gazed up in amazement at the Skylon, explored the Dome of Discovery, marvelled at the Shot Tower and saw for the first time... a television!  The event inspired thousands of weary people in post war Britain to work together for a better future.

I wish the Manx version well, and look forward to seeing it begin.  I hope it has the impact of the ‘51 event!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, war baby said:

I wish the Manx version well, and look forward to seeing it begin.  I hope it has the impact of the ‘51 event!

It's finished.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

You missed it, it was on last year, it made such a huge impact everybody was asking  about it because no one knew what it was about, now courtesy of Mr Thomas, we know.  In short people got paid for putting a concert on and watching seals and do not forget the rainbow that must have cost a fortune to organise.   Unbelievable just unbelievable but then again perhaps not.   There are people like that nice MR Hooper who is trying to encourage people to vote by giving them a day off, with schemes like this you would need to give them two weeks off and a holiday in Spain to get them to have any faith in a politician who would come up with such crap by means of an explanation and vote for them.   I truly despair.

Clare Bettison asking questions in Tynwald about the £5 coin that was supposed to be minted to celebrate the year of our Island and is not now going ahead, she was asking how much it had cost so far in design and promotion.     I think the answer should have been it was discovered that there was not a lot to celebrate.   When you have to wait for 18months for an appointment at the eye clinic all this talk up seems out of orbit.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I feel bitterly disappointed by the whole experience. It was by and large an utter bloody shambles of the highest order, with one or two very small exceptions. And those exceptions were nothing to do with Chris Thomas or the Isle of Man Government. Please cast your mind back to the beginning of the "Glorious Year" and reference the special website that was created - that for the first 3 months had literally fuck all on it. And I mean nada. Then, for the rest of the year (by and large) the organisers had the audacity to basically pick through the papers, facebook and other listings and claim already planned and unrelated events as their own.

From what I can make out,, the biggest chunk of cash went into building a garden at St Johns ready for Tynwald Day..which from what I can see hasn't been touched since and will no doubt revert back to being a scrap of land in the not too distant future.

My advice Mr Thomas, is if you are going to wax lyrical about something, make sure it is something worth waxing lyrical about. To say The Year of Our Island was a damp squib, is being bloody generous.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

He's just amusing himself at our expense TBH

• Thanks 2

He really is the absolute perfect example of why this island is the way it is. Someone you wouldn't trust to deliver free newspapers but he's somehow managed to get himself a very important seat on the gravy train at our collective expense.

• Like 1

I think I’ll piss everyone off by pointing out that I identified Thomas as a bull-shitting shyster from absolutely day one of his emergence on the local political scene and got bored with repeating it. One by one his acolytes and supporters in these pages caught on. There’s no doubt now. (Yeah...I know, nobody likes a smart arse).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Uhtred said:

I think I’ll piss everyone off by pointing out that I identified Thomas as a bull-shitting shyster from absolutely day one of his emergence on the local political scene and got bored with repeating it. One by one his acolytes and supporters in these pages caught on. There’s no doubt now. (Yeah...I know, nobody likes a smart arse).

I think I'll piss everyone off by pointing out I identified Uhtred as a smart arse from absolutely day one of his emergence on these pages.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

I think I'll piss everyone off by pointing out I identified Uhtred as a smart arse from absolutely day one of his emergence on these pages.

Not everyone - I’m not pissed off by that sentiment at all.

3 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Not everyone - I’m not pissed off by that sentiment at all.

Twas just a joke luv.

15 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Twas just a joke luv.

I know - mine was too...but perhaps not entirely clear! 

If the year of the Island has done one good thing it has exposed Chris Thomas as the biggest bull shitter in Tynwald, totally useless and devoid of any talent or common sense.

Well, he claims to be making headway on the PS pensions situation.

Mind, they said that when they invented GUS...

• Thanks 2