Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Kardassian Vulture

MUA the subject of whistle-blowing over dangerous failings

13 hours ago, yootalkin2me said:

I know Alfie too, and have worked 'with' him (I am not, and never have been, an employee of the MUA or MU). I always found him to be very professional, very conscientious, diligent, friendly and very health and safety conscious. I wish Alfie all the very best and hope that he got the outcome he intended to get 

Same here, have known Alfie for many years in a professional capacity (I am not an MUA employee), and have very much admired his skill and abilities.  He is very knowledgeable and friendly and in my mind a great asset and representative of his company.   Someone with Alfie's work ethic is just what any employer could wish for.  Best of luck for the future.

Edited by scrawl
spelling

14 hours ago, Kardassian Vulture said:

Next time your mamas house burns down due to a fire whilst you are tucked up with your teddy bear,your granny dies whilst doing your ironing and no-one knows why (electrical fires are the most commionost), or a rotten pole kills you in your car-more common than you think, will you still say the same?

My mama doesn't live in a house.

My grannie is already dead, and she wasn't a commionost.

My wife is a Pole and it's more likely her driving will kill me in her car.

Don't call her rotten either. Not having that. She's lovely.

Edited by b4mbi
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, b4mbi said:

Don't call her rotten either. Not having that. She's lovely.

"That's no lady, that's my wife!":)

Edited by Bobbie Bobster

11 hours ago, dilligaf said:

I hold a totally opposing view. Far too many people, usually in Gov. posts make vexatious claims knowing full well that they are virtually unsackable. ( I know that is not a word )

I know Alfie and have done since his spanner days. I am not judging him, just the many who will or have mirrored claims without ( in their cases) any substance.

I'd disagree with the first bit Dilli. There are, believe it or not, quite a lot of responsible, competent, public-minded people at the PS grassroots level. Unfortunately, some of their superiors are less so. Many of these "whistle blowing" incidents relate to failure of management and failure to maintain, update and observe working practices. And observe any responsibility for public finances. So why shouldn't these concerns be flagged up if it's in the general interest and good?

It's resisted and the subject of the well-known repercussions simply because of the embarrassment and exposes of such failings. But if people were doing their jobs in the first place (as some are paid extremely well to do) then it wouldn't be necessary.

If these concerns have been upheld in a legal inquiry process then the fault doesn't lie with the whistle blowers. Questions should be asked of those who created or allowed the circumstances to arise in the first instance. But this is IoM, so that doesn't happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Having read the report it is obvious that the claims made by Mr Jones were solely for the purpose of improving the safety and efficiency of the MUA and protecting workers and the public. His honesty and diligence shone through and the tribunal recognised that. He would have won more of his points if he'd put them in writing but it sounds like it was not in his nature to do that.  Rather he relied on face to face meetings and honesty, something which is obviously lacking in the MUA management and was recognised by the tribunal. Alfie Jones can hold his head high but heads should roll at the MUA.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Johnny F said:

Having read the report it is obvious that the claims made by Mr Jones were solely for the purpose of improving the safety and efficiency of the MUA and protecting workers and the public. His honesty and diligence shone through and the tribunal recognised that. He would have won more of his points if he'd put them in writing but it sounds like it was not in his nature to do that.  Rather he relied on face to face meetings and honesty, something which is obviously lacking in the MUA management and was recognised by the tribunal. Alfie Jones can hold his head high but heads should roll at the MUA.

No surprise there then!

On 2/10/2019 at 6:44 PM, Kardassian Vulture said:

This link to    https://www.judgments.im/content/ET 18-27 Alfred Jones v MUA (phr 2).pdf is the Jan19 report of whistle-blowing case against the MUA by a worker who resigned over the dire safety standards,and cover ups, under which the MUA operates.For instance,they knew about and ignored the existence of rotten poles carrying live wires which blew down onto cars.Paragraph 39 demonstrates these coverups and the lack of any documentary evidence maintained over safety and even asbestos issues, shows that management were failing to record any safety breaches in accordance with H&S law,and did nothing to remedy those failings when identified by the claimant.How can we trust the MUA with our safety when they exhibit no regard for any whatsoever.How can they promote electrical safety when they have the worst attitude towards it.

The problem with this case is that,yet again, as always,it involves Douglas Stewart 'acting'  as judge.Every whistle-blowing case against the Government has this guy as Head of the panel,despite the panel being randomly selected,in theory.Tell-tale signs that this will not go well for the claimant is spread around the pdf.Firstly,the narrowing down of the disclosures to far fewer to reduce the seriousness of the case.Secondly,and most importantly,Stewart casts a blackened characterisation of the claimant using the words 'control freak' amongst others.This,a tactic he has used before to malign the claimants and his claims in the eyes of the public.An attempt to discredit the claimant,but uses no such characterisations against anyone else especially as some appear to have lied repeatedly. The claimants character has little to do with making disclosures that have protected the public and MUA workers.Having read this,I would no longer feels safe having anyone from MUA fixing a light bulb TBH.

Douglas Stewart has once again allowed this to be a two part case,ostensibly delaying it to increase the pressure on the claimant.This is a regular tactic.Make it last as long as possible.No doubt he will also allow the MUA to introduce a shed load of new and complex evidence on the eveining before the next part begins in Court.

Whistle-Blowers rarely win,and even if they do,they often do not recover careers,jobs,or lives.It's

TIME WE STARTED TO SUPPORT PEOPLE WHOSE SELFLESS WORDS AND DEEDS KEEP US SAFE AND EXPOSE NEGLIGENCE, DECEIT, THEFT, FRAUD,EMBEZZLEMENT WHILST THEY PUT THEMSELVES ON THE LINE IN THE MOST MAJOR WAY POSSIBLE.THEY DO IT FOR US.IT'S TIME WE SUPPORTED THEM!

Google:Philipa Whitford:“Not being listened to is almost the least that can happen to a whistleblower, in that often they suffer detriment or reprisals and even lose their jobs.”

Google:Minh Alexande: “It’s rare for any whistleblowers who are involved in prolonged battles of this sort not to develop some form of anxiety or depressive disorder eventually. You can only hold out for so long.What employers do is they deflect from the public interest issues and turn the whole thing into an employment issue which pathologises the whistleblower.It becomes a witch hunt about trying to claim that the whistleblower is a difficult person, that they are a troublemaker, they are the problem.”

WOULD YOU BE PREPARED TO PUT YOUR JOB, CAREER, REPUTATION, HEALTH AND SANITY ON THE LINE FOR THE SAKE OF OTHERS ?

Show your support for change,comment below -

Wow.

Having been witness, fairly recently with the kind of thing this poster talks about. In some cases, this turns out to be true. (the new 5g internet tech , Nobles Hospital etc).

I'm not into the type of conspiracy theories we see online, 9-11 , Aliens etc. But this kind of situation needs  addressing. If only for the real truth to prevail, especially in the case of basic public safety.

If the individual concerned (the 'acting judge') has indeed a supposed record of dismissive or 'character assasination' type of behaviour to 'Whistleblowers', do something to let the public know you are aware of these concerns. Make a simple change in an effort to allay any of these type of fears.

Get the publics trust in justice back on the road to recovery.  Not every case is personal vexation.....surely.

(I know....Don't call me Shirley....I know already!!)

Edited by Sentience
Lightness

I honestly can’t understand how reports of whistle blowers seem to get so much stick from some posters on this forum. The guy seems to only have public safety at heart and some of the comments above are simply incredible in this context. Nobody sets out to make themselves unemployable and I’m sure they only do this sort of thing as a last resort after all else has failed to try to resolve issues. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Sentience said:

Wow.

Having been witness, fairly recently with the kind of thing this poster talks about. In some cases, this turns out to be true. (the new 5g internet tech , Nobles Hospital etc).

I'm not into the type of conspiracy theories we see online, 9-11 , Aliens etc. But this kind of situation needs  addressing. If only for the real truth to prevail, especially in the case of basic public safety.

If the individual concerned (the 'acting judge') has indeed a supposed record of dismissive or 'character assasination' type of behaviour to 'Whistleblowers', do something to let the public know you are aware of these concerns. Make a simple change in an effort to allay any of these type of fears.

Get the publics trust in justice back on the road to recovery.  Not every case is personal vexation.....surely.

(I know....Don't call me Shirley....I know already!!)

Couch said something extraordinary in Tynwald not long ago "we don't like to admit our mistakes".So,yes,as a CEO of a Dept,he represents a high ranking view of Gov policy. I can vaguely remember the Police a year back revealed under FOI that did not keep any records of internal staff complaints or whistle-blowing.Character assassination is how they deal with whistle-blowers as it disuades everyone else from doing it,and so the politicans maintain authority and total control.And you probably remember from Quayles Panorama hoedown it extends to the top.And for those that help hose-down whistle-blowers,come big rewards.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cheesy Wheezy said:

I honestly can’t understand how reports of whistle blowers seem to get so much stick from some posters on this forum. The guy seems to only have public safety at heart and some of the comments above are simply incredible in this context. Nobody sets out to make themselves unemployable and I’m sure they only do this sort of thing as a last resort after all else has failed to try to resolve issues. 

It sounds like a lot on here work for government to be honest. That’s the only explanation I can think of.