Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
PmJ

Moving the problem

I can see the sense in this in certain cases but where do you go if a pupil is still failing at their new school? 

Where does the expelled pupil from Chrs go? And then how and who pays for the transport to the new school, mmmm let me see..

17 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Where does the expelled pupil from Chrs go? And then how and who pays for the transport to the new school, mmmm let me see..

Or Ramsey Grammar. Yet another "not well thought out" plan

Legally they have to educate the child so it’s not unsurprising really. 

• Like 1

They do the same thing in government with useless managers. Give 'em a promotion and move 'em to another department. They really do.

• Like 4

On 2/11/2019 at 3:41 PM, woolley said:

They do the same thing in government with useless managers. Give 'em a promotion and move 'em to another department. They really do.

Nothing new there. Going back 50 years + the police across used to "promote people into incompetence".

And from the same time the teaching profession had the saying "If you can, do. If you can't do, teach. If you can't teach, teach teachers. If you can't teach teachers, become a schools inspector".

No doubt there are numerous other similar sayings, to suit other work places.

I suggest "If you can't do anything, become an MHK", or am I being a little too harsh?

(There are of course exceptions to every "rule".)

• Like 1

Wasn't that one of the dodged questions in Keys this week?

• Like 1

Aren't all questions dodged until they have had a week or so to think up an answer?

• Like 1

Just to show I am not having a go exclusively at the public sector, a couple of chaps from private enterprise come to mind.

Many years ago I was a junior management trainee in the offices of a very large quoted engineering firm, and the amount of middle management had to be seen to be believed. You could literally have taken out several strata of them and nobody would really have noticed the difference in terms of productivity. We are talking around 6,000 employees on this one site alone, and they were multi-site in the UK, and all over the world too. There was one man, among many similar, who had been in various departments having been shunted from pillar to post because, as we have been discussing, he was utterly useless. Spent all day just talking to other managers or on the phone talking about nothing. In the latest round of management-pass-the-parcel, it looked as though he was about to land in our department, promoted to Commercial Manager for our budget centre, and the HR Director and Group Marketing Manager had come to confirm the "good news" to us in the regular Monday morning management meeting. The newcomer's reputation for heroic sloth had gone before him and our departmental head, while resigned to the inevitable, was, nevertheless, none too pleased:

"George does nothing. He is just a consummate bullshitter." he complained to the bigwigs.

"Yes, I know. Isn't he wonderful. Every organisation needs people of George's quality," replied the HRD, without missing a beat, "he'll be with you in a fortnight." Incidentally, it was this sort of management structure in large companies that eventually made me strike out alone. Anything you achieved personally, there would be one of these tossers taking the credit with his manager and so on right up the tree. The only way was to slime up the pole by ingratiating yourself. Not for me.

The other one was many years later, here on the Island. I first encountered this man when he had his own business, but that failed pretty quickly. He then got himself into senior positions with several prominent Island businesses that we had regular dealings with. The pattern was always the same. He would arrive on the scene in a blaze of glory with my contacts at the companies saying how fortunate they were to have secured his services. Then six months to a year later he would leave under a cloud, and some of the clouds were very dark indeed. Then the process would begin all over again, only to end the same way. Ultimately, one day, I walked into the offices of one of our best customers and there he was, large as life. The look on my face must have been comical because he was sitting in one of the chief's offices. Goodness knows how the hell he managed to go on such a trail of appointments and failures on such a small island as he'd acquired something of a reputation. Eventually we come full circle; you guessed it, he got a management post with IOMG and there he stayed.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1