Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
dilligaf

Cut & paste

Posted (edited)

“Examiner” on page 19  details Deputy chief is apparently on a trip to Spain to learn about “Integrated Care”.

Plagiarising material from Spain will  be easier  than  than from Wigan.

“ Juan”...  “from  Ramsey”   will be less   conspicuous than “Mohamed”.

Edited by hampsterkahn
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

What happened to the methods we were supposed to be plagiarising from New Zealand too?

A little bit of topic but noticed that the CM was welcoming a Mr. Peter Boxer to the IOM Government on twitter who was the Deputy Director of the UK Cabinet Office. Havent seen any media announcement on what role he has taken or is he just working with our Government?

26 minutes ago, Billy One Mate said:

A little bit of topic but noticed that the CM was welcoming a Mr. Peter Boxer to the IOM Government on twitter who was the Deputy Director of the UK Cabinet Office. Havent seen any media announcement on what role he has taken or is he just working with our Government?

He can't that important if he was only a Deputy.

It's just the usual JFTB. 

I suspect he is the new head of Crown and External Relations, following Della Fletchers retirement.

quite surprised they have appointed someone from within Whitehall. The team next door now have a man on the inside in every sense. It’s only going to work well in one direction. 

The role requires an awful lot of time in London.

22 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I suspect he is the new head of Crown and External Relations, following Della Fletchers retirement.

quite surprised they have appointed someone from within Whitehall. The team next door now have a man on the inside in every sense. It’s only going to work well in one direction. 

Don’t dispute any of that Derek but it seems to me that any local complexion/Manxness/awareness of our particular nature because senior civil servants are local people, was lost a very long time ago. We clearly have a civil service; there isn’t a Manx civil service though. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

What happened to the methods we were supposed to be plagiarising from New Zealand too?

You appear to be mistaken. That trip was what is referred to in technical terms as “a jolly”.

7 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

You appear to be mistaken. That trip was what is referred to in technical terms as “a jolly”.

Apologies. I've been innocently under the illusion that there was diligence, regard for the taxpayer and morals involved.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Apologies. I've been innocently under the illusion that there was diligence, regard for the taxpayer and morals involved.

This is politics in the Isle of Man. Sorry.

11 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Don’t dispute any of that Derek but it seems to me that any local complexion/Manxness/awareness of our particular nature because senior civil servants are local people, was lost a very long time ago. We clearly have a civil service; there isn’t a Manx civil service though. 

It depends what you mean by "our particular nature" and what constitutes a "manx civil service"

On 4/3/2019 at 10:09 AM, Billy One Mate said:

On 4/3/2019 at 7:50 PM, Derek Flint said:

It's a bit of a mystery.  All his twitter feed says is that he is starting "a new and exciting chapter working for the Government of the Isle of Man." and when a fellow diplomat said "Congratulations Peter. Is your new job description yet a matter of public record?" and that got the reply "Thank you. And great to hear from you. I will be a little coy for a couple of weeks out of respect to my predecessor. But staying in the métier"

Which sounds like it might be Fletcher's job but with an even more pretentious title and twice the salary.

With the current government meltdown in the UK, you can see why he might want to get out of the Cabinet Office.  His LinkedIn (where he says he is "About to embark on an exciting new adventure"[1] suggests he's basically a career diplomat though with a lot of short postings, suggesting he either does a lot of 'firefighting' or, like so many cvs we see on those who end up here, he's the sort of person who people want to get rid of as soon as they arrive.

Still he's been Deputy Ambassador in Iraq.  So Douglas shouldn't come as too much of a shock.

[1]  What ever happened to British modesty, self-deprecation and stiff upper lip? He's a diplomat he' supposed to represent these traditional virtues.  Instead his LinkedIn is full of the sort of meaningless self-promotion about how wonderful he is that HR Department love and everyone  else dreads.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's a bit of a mystery.  All his twitter feed says is that he is starting "a new and exciting chapter working for the Government of the Isle of Man." and when a fellow diplomat said "Congratulations Peter. Is your new job description yet a matter of public record?" and that got the reply "Thank you. And great to hear from you. I will be a little coy for a couple of weeks out of respect to my predecessor. But staying in the métier"

Which sounds like it might be Fletcher's job but with an even more pretentious title and twice the salary.

With the current government meltdown in the UK, you can see why he might want to get out of the Cabinet Office.  His LinkedIn (where he says he is "About to embark on an exciting new adventure"[1] suggests he's basically a career diplomat though with a lot of short postings, suggesting he either does a lot of 'firefighting' or, like so many cvs we see on those who end up here, he's the sort of person who people want to get rid of as soon as they arrive.

Still he's been Deputy Ambassador in Iraq.  So Douglas shouldn't come as too much of a shock.

[1]  What ever happened to British modesty, self-deprecation and stiff upper lip? He's a diplomat he' supposed to represent these traditional virtues.  Instead his LinkedIn is full of the sort of meaningless self-promotion about how wonderful he is that HR Department love and everyone  else dreads.

My word - a civil servant who uses the word métier. This is one to watch.

Edited to add - Interesting that he’s in the (UK) Cabinet Office; I always understood that the Home Civil Service and the Diplomatic Service were entirely separate entities. One would expect civil servants to staff the Cabinet Office, not diplomats, but he’s clearly the latter - Deputy High Commissioner to South Africa in 2017 (should fit right in down Derbyhaven way). Perhaps he’s been on some kind of liaison secondment to the Cabinet Office. Whatever high falutin’ job title and responsibilities he will have in Howard’s tiny world of nonsense should be worth seeing - and may give rise to a chuckle or two!

Edited by Uhtred
Addition

On 4/6/2019 at 8:13 AM, Uhtred said:

Edited to add - Interesting that he’s in the (UK) Cabinet Office; I always understood that the Home Civil Service and the Diplomatic Service were entirely separate entities. One would expect civil servants to staff the Cabinet Office, not diplomats, but he’s clearly the latter - Deputy High Commissioner to South Africa in 2017 (should fit right in down Derbyhaven way). Perhaps he’s been on some kind of liaison secondment to the Cabinet Office. Whatever high falutin’ job title and responsibilities he will have in Howard’s tiny world of nonsense should be worth seeing - and may give rise to a chuckle or two!

So he hasn't held down a proper job at all then? :rolleyes: Just lots of Deputy Dawg positions by the looks of it.

On 4/6/2019 at 8:13 AM, Uhtred said:

And getting the accent right on métier as well!  On Twitter!!  Most people struggle with capital letters (unless they use nothing else).  At least it may indicate a more sophisticated PR operation is about to take place, though he'll have his hands full trying to turn Quayle into a smooth-talking and assured performer.

There's traditionally been a sharp division between 'Home and Colonial' in the UK Civil Service, but the Cabinet Office has always been open to both because the PM and Cabinet need advice on both areas of policy and integrating them.  So secondment is fairly common.

5 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

And getting the accent right on métier as well!  On Twitter!!  Most people struggle with capital letters (unless they use nothing else).  At least it may indicate a more sophisticated PR operation is about to take place, though he'll have his hands full trying to turn Quayle into a smooth-talking and assured performer.

There's traditionally been a sharp division between 'Home and Colonial' in the UK Civil Service, but the Cabinet Office has always been open to both because the PM and Cabinet need advice on both areas of policy and integrating them.  So secondment is fairly common.

If he’s coming in as a PR person and he has a mandate to turn Quayle “into a smooth talking and assured performer” he’ll not have his hands full, he’ll be on a fast track to the asylum! Derek F speculated that he’s the new head of something and something else, replacing a woman who has lately retired, and who, if memory serves, was the one that Peel Commissioners fell out with over the culling of the electoral roll. It’s all rather odd that he’s clearly regarded as some sort of big cheese and yet the posturing Quayle/IOM Cabinet Office are still silent as to his job role/responsibilities.